“Rebuilding park”

Kentucky Fair and Exposition Center
Ranked #34 of 172 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Kentucky Exposition Center is one of the top 10 largest public facilities of its kind in the U.S. Home to the Kentucky State Fair, National Farm Machinery Show, North American International Livestock Expo and some of the top tradeshows in the country.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Pawnee, Illinois
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Rebuilding park”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This amusement park used to be affiliated with the Six Flags corporation. I did not realize it is independently owed until after I had purchased tickets online (my bad). I was a little apprehensive since I hadn't been to the park in about 10 years and it wasn't listed on TripAdvisor. When we arrived at the park at opening, we were greeted by very friendly staff. The park was very clean and in good repair.

We headed straight to the closest roller coaster. The line was short and we didn't have to wait long. It was a great ride! We rode a few more rides. Again, lines were almost nonexistent so riding multiple times was easy. The park is still a work in progress with additional rides undergoing refurbishment. We did not use the water park area but it looked clean and well kept. We enjoyed our time at the park but the number of "big" rides is a little limited. The park map indicated another roller coaster opening in 2015 and another in 2016. There are lots of rides for smaller children.

We were only at the park about 2 hours. The cost of the online ticket was $39.95/ person - a discount of $5 from purchasing at the main gate. I'm not sure we got our money's worth especially when I found a $10 off coupon at our hotel!

I think this park has potential; however, I'm not sure I would spend the money to go back.

1 Thank 4498Shelly

franklin,ky
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“wasn't worth the money”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

our family vacation was Louisville zoo which we loved and ky kingdom we took our granddaughter to six flags a lot when she was 5 she is now 16 so our grandson who is 5 wanted to go because all the things Breanna had told him so we went it was terrible lot of rides weren't open her favorite ride (it was caked grizzy rampage at opryland) was close food and drinks were way to high no dresses up looney tunes or hero (like wonder woman superman) we only stayed 4 hour went to get in kiddie park they said dead bird so they had to test water we stood there in the heat for 20 minutes then left when I used to test water in my pool took few minutes when I go back NO and will tell anyone who ask me go to beech been in bowling green ky wish I had my money back

1 Thank Sandie W
Louisville, Kentucky
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“KY Kingdom: Great water park, mediocre theme park”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I bought season passes this year because they were such a great value ($59) and offered nice perks ($1 sodas, dining discounts, etc). We have gone twice this season so far, once to do rides and once for the water park. Both days we attended on a weekday to avoid crowds and arrived at opening time (11am). This strategy worked as we did not experience a wait for rides or slides either day. In terms of rides, I was pretty disappointed at the few new rides added to the park since it was last open. I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will be adding new rides over the next few years. The waterpark, however, has been expanded nicely and was a LOT of fun! The adventure river was great to float through, and the Deluge water coaster was a blast! One warning...I do not recommend the hut-like grill restaurant in front of the smaller wave pool on the new side. We ordered the sliders and nachos and both were inedible (way over cooked and stale) so we got a refund on both and ate at one of the burger shacks, which was great.

Washington, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Went to Kentucky Kingdom and Hurricane Bay”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had a great time - lots of rides (coasters were incredible) - short wait times - awesome wave pool and slides. Food was a little pricey but would go again!

Louisville, Kentucky
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Wonderful regional amusement park; many gems here”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

In case you aren't aware, KK has been closed ever since Six Flags gave up the lease about 5 years ago. KK is now open again under a the same core group that took over the park in 1989 and made it a success.

Now, after 2 years of refurbishment, KK is back. I have no hesitation in saying it is one of the best regional amusement parks in the country. Headlining is the brand new Chance Hyper GTX Lightning Run, a compact steel roller coaster that is a blast! Thunder Run received over $1M in attention to the track, resulting in vast improvement in ride quality. Among many other new items is a huge expansion to the water park, with a huge body slide and action river.

While all the new additions are a blast, and show the company's commitment to making the park successful, what really impresses me is the attention to detail. Things are newly painted, kept clean, and there is actually landscaping! Check out my pics... KK spent some $$$ on making the park really attractive. I even rode the Tin Lizzies just to check out the landscaping!!!

The water park is a blast, with the new family-friendly wave pool next to the new action river.
Lest you think this is an advertisement, the waits for the new slides was too long... so we couldn't stand the wait in 94 degree heat. It was back to the wave pool and it's awesome Big Kahuna waves.

Even the 5D theater show was fun- it's based on the Rio characters.

However, one of the hidden gems (in addition to the impressive landscaping) is the seal show. Only 20 minutes, but a professionally presented show with rescued sea lions is an absolute pleasure. While the setup is temporary, just drop this show in a custom theater and you easily have the match (or better) of any national marine park attraction. Don't miss it!

TIPS: Get there at least 10 min before park opening. Hit Lightning run first. If they only are running one train, waits can shoot up quickly. Then if you want to hit the water park slides, do so. Thunder Run is pretty steady throughout the day, so you don't have to make a beeline for it.

If you're visiting more than once, get a Season Pass. The discount on drinks and merchandise make it a great deal for repeat visits. The season parking pass from KFEC doesn't make sense unless you are going at least 7 times (it's not valid during Ky State Fair... KFEC wants their pint of blood).
Don't miss the seal show... currently it's at 1P, 3P, and 5P.

They have announced Sept hours, and I'm hoping they announce some Halloween activities. This would make the Season Pass an awesome deal.

Visited June 2014