“Jan 2014 Stay”

Louisville Marriott Downtown
Ranked #16 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Clean room and very comfortable bed. Had a few issues with the hot water. Coffee maker in room did not work but they replaced it as soon as I asked them to. No free breakfast or coffee in the morning. I understand not having free breakfast but feel coffee should always be complimentary. The bistro had a good breakfast with pretty decent prices.

It's a good location. Right across the street from several bars and food places. Parking was very easy as well. All the staff was really friendly which I appreciated. The fitness center was good too. Free weights and 4-5 cardio machines. The cardio machines have plugs for your earphones with cable TV which was nice. All in all a good experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah T
SDFLM, Director of Sales at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that you had great stay and enjoyed the conveniant location of the hotel to the local restaurants and the renovated fitness center. Please come back and see us in the future.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We called booking a night for N.Y.E. The site stated there was only 3 rooms left. This was clearly a marketing strategy since the hotel was probably only half full it that. I do not remember the site or I would mention this. We were hoping to find a place that had something going on for N.Y.E. The hotel had a special dinner that was very pricey but gave you a voucher included in the package. This brought the price down to what should have been the set price to start with. The meal was prix fixe and we knew that going into it. The meal was below average in my opinion. Salad was tolerable. Oysters were amazing. Steak was cooked to our liking but it was very dry. The location, in our opinion was great since an outdoor N.Y.E. party was going on at 4th Street Live just a few blocks away. We could have stayed at a hotel in the middle of it all but then we would have had to put up with the late night revelers and for this reason we felt this was a better location.

The toilet leaked (would drain and constantly refill). I figured the chain was getting caught in the flapper so I repaired it without trying to have someone come up. Other than that it was average for a Marriott in downtown. It is a huge hotel so I can't imagine them filling to capacity but it is near the YUM center.

They also included breakfast in the "package". They had a chef who made omelets to order. The breakfast was very good.

They have an onsite parking garage in the basement - very good since parking downtown can be difficult to find and expensive.

Room Tip: I don't like staying near elevators or the vending/ice machines (noise). We were no where near t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelers4rwe
David R, Manager at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest;
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Louisville Marriott Downtown. We were pleased to see that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay including breakfast and parking. However I did read through your comments in regards to your dinner and disappointment with the package you booked for New Year's Eve. I would like to chance to speak with you further about the issues you addressed. Please call me directly if you would like at 502-671-4280. Thank you

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed during a long weekend with family and friends. Downtown location is within walking distance to most downtown activities such as Fourth Street Live and minor league baseball stadium. Also had several dining options. This will definitely be my first option for future Louisville travel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
SDFLM, Director of Sales at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments from your recent stay. We are thrilled that you made it a long weekend and were able to get out and visit the attractions just outstide our front door. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay at this location on our drive from NC to Chicago. It is a perfect location for a pit stop and dining is onsite or within walking distance.

Check in was a breeze, but it should be when you check in at 8pm. The rooms were standard Marriott rooms, not too small or big. The staff was friendly.

We had a Saturday stay so we couldn't check out the concierge lounge. We do a lot of business travel, but we also do vacation travel, which occurs on the weekends. I would like to enjoy my elite status benefit on the weekends. They do supplement with free breakfast tickets, but I use the lounge to drink coffee and surf the web in a comfy chair in the morning without disturbing my family (this was my only gripe). We ate breakfast at Blu. It was a standard Marriott breakfast buffet.

We usually valet, but self park was included in the package. It wasn't an inconvenient experience. You park underground and the parking garage is connected to the hotel. There is a separate, cheaper parking lot behind the hotel not associated with the Marriott, but your car is exposed to the elements.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Louisville Marriott for your pit stop on the way to Chicago. We are pleased that you enjoyed the room accomodations and breakfast in Blu. On your next trip through town we hope you will spend an extra day and take advantage of some of the great restaurants and attractions that are within walking distance to the hotel.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel because we were required by the team we were traveling with to keep everyone together. I didn't mind as I am a Marriott fan and a member of Marriott Rewards. Well, this did not matter nor did it improve our experience as this Marriott is not up to par with Marriott service standards.

At check-in I asked if my Marriott Rewards number was on my reservation and if any upgrades were available. The lady that was helping me (I wish I could remember her name) stated that they had my number and status but that nothing was available as we were booked into a block of rooms and that I could not be upgraded in order to keep us all together. I said that this did not make since as others had already arrived and were not on our floor. She the proceeded to try and make up another reason to not give us an upgrade. I once again said that none of what she was saying was logical and that since we were checking in at 4:00 PM (earliest allowed per web site) that many rooms had to be open unless all filled by senior program members. She passed me on to a front desk manager who said that all suites and upgraded room were contracted out by a holiday party and wedding function. I said that actually makes sense to me and took our room on the fourth floor. Not long after check-in I found out that others in our "blocked" rooms group were all over the hotel to include the "Club" floor I requested and four other floors. No one was together and not a single other person from our team was on in the hallway on our floor. This means that I was flat out lied to by the front desk team members. I am a big boy and can handle the truth. If they did not want to honor my status and provide one of the available upgrades because I paid a reduced bulk rate or some other reason then just come out and tell me that, don't lie and make something up to try and make me feel better. that just left very sour feeling towards Marriott and this hotel.

I was hoping our stay would get better but it got worse. our luggage never made it to our room even after I asked the valet to have the bellman follow my wife up to the room. in fact, my wife never even got a ticket for our luggage and we had to return to the lobby to track down our luggage, identify it to the bellman and have him follow us back up to our room. So much for a good first impression.

After getting to the room and finally settling in we had a knock at the door with an employee trying to deliver some wine glasses and i was hopeful that it was the front desk staff trying to make up for their terrible first impressions but i was wrong. It was just a confused employee that must have been given the wrong room as he had the wrong room. I tried to think positive but it was just another example that this hotel was in over its head during a busy weekend.

The bed quality was terrible! I need a bed with some support and these beds had none. Do not stay here if you need a good night's sleep. Not sure what else to say other then it's probably time to renovate the rooms and replace the mattresses.

On our last day in the hotel we had to wait 45 minutes just to get into the restaurant that served breakfast. We only had two in our party that morning and there were multiple open table tops yet we were not seated for 45 minutes. Another example of poor management. When there is a wait list there should never be tables left open.

Overall, this was a very poor showing for a full-service Marriott hotel. We paid the extra for valet parking and the one time we had to call for our car it took over 30 minutes to have it delivered to the front door. If I was on a tighter schedule and wasn't just checking out I would have been livid. As it was, we just got to the event 30 minutes later than expected but still made our teams arrival times.

If staying downtown Louisville again I would not stay at this hotel. I would try another full-service hotel that may be able to provide full-service. When one pays a higher price they expect a bit more. This hotel did not provide a good value or good service. It had some very nice employees but it was spotty and overall the entire hotel team did not handle full capacity very well. Once could tell they were struggling to handle the crowd. Maybe they are wonderful if half empty? I will most likely never find out.

If you are self reliant and don't care to use the hotel's services then maybe this hotel will work for you due to its location but don't stay there if you desire high quality customer service or sleep quality.

Oh yea, they also did one of my biggest pet peeves and that was to leave the shower curtain hooks undone when replacing the shower curtain. If a hotel is quality, then they have their housekeeping staffs take the extra minute to close the hooks when replacing the curtain. Leaving them open to make it quicker and easier is just lazy and shows a lack of attention to detail. Sure makes one wonder where else they cut corners when cleaning the rooms???

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments from your recent stay with us. We strive to provide an oustanding service experience for all of our guests and we are dissappointed that we failed to deliver on that with you. I have shared your comments with our food and beverage and front office teams to improve our serivce delivery and appreciate your willingness to provide feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to provide an improved experience for your next trip to Louisville.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Booked a single night at this hotel because it was close to my sisters wedding venue. The public spaces were very nice. Staff was very nice and quick to offer assistance. The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. When in Louisville we will definitly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Soni L

Dear Guest,

We are happy that you had a great stay and were able to enjoyed the renovated guestrooms and the friendliness of our service team. We look forward to seeing on your next trip to Louisville.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed here for a long weekend. The rooms are beautiful. The amenities are clean and the staff is very helpful. The lobby is one of my favorite spots. It's was decorated in a festive manner. Claiming fireplace. I would defiantly stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ivy L
SDFLM, Director of Sales at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments from your recent stay. We are pleased that our service team of hosts provided an excellent experience for you and we look forward to your next visit.