“No-nonsense BBQ joint”

Frankfort Avenue Beer Depot
Ranked #214 of 1,766 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We were there about a week and a half ago. If you're looking for fancy, don't go! If your looking for GREAT smoked ribs, etc, this is THE place to get them! You won't go away hungry, either!
Dublin, Ireland
“No-nonsense BBQ joint”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

FAB is one of those places that only locals know about. A friend brought me there on my first visit to Louisville and I have been going back ever since.

The place itself is as rough as a badgers backside, but the food is great and the people are friendly. Go visit.

• Visited September 2012

Louisville, Kentucky
“Great Smoked Brisket for carry out!”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I had gotten the wonderful BBQ ribs many times, so I decided to change directions and go with what they call "Lou-a-vul style brisket." Depending on your preferences for where you like to be when you eat, you might want to consider doing a carry out. The bar area is a typical bar where there are lots of men sitting at tables with their buckets of beer. There is an outside eating area facing Frankfort Avenue; but the smokers are always going strong that I prefer not to sit in that area. There is another very casual dining area adjacent to the bar as well as another outside patio where you can sit depending on the weather. My preference is to do a carry out. I ordered one pound of the sliced brisket and a large size of their absoluotely delicious highly seasoned green beans. I called ahead, and my order was ready when I arrived. Unfortunately, they were out of the hot sauce they make, so I had to settle for the regular BBQ sauce of which I did receive a nice portion in a cup size container. I was delighted when I unpacked my order at home. They had also included a nice portion of sliced onions and dill pickles to go with the brisket as well as rolls. The bricket was well seasoned and very tasty. Since I had ordered enough brisket to last for several dinners, I immediately wished that I had ordered more of the green beans. As soon as I started on the beans, I realized that half of them would be gone on my first meal. I have no idea how they make them so tasty, but they are really good.

• Visited August 2013
“It's all in the name”
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

The name is a true indication of the focus for this restaurant. It is first a beer depot - with an nice selection of beer and secondly a smokehouse. The meats are smoked in front of the restaurant and the aroma is fantastic. The rub for the ribs and pulled pork is quite good and the portions are amble. My wife's ribs were fall off the bone tender, but had been cooked at too high a heat at some point which had a negative impact on the rub - not a disaster, but could have been better. My pulled pork sandwich had ample meat and had a good smoked flavor, but was too dry to be enjoyed without sauce- and there is the rub - the sauce on the table was a thin BBQ mop - not a sauce so it could not provide the flavor needed nor could it adhere to the meat. The mop soaked the bun and made it soggy, but did not work on the meat. It was a good but not great BBQ experience. The most outstanding aspect of e meal was the bean soup that is work a trip by it's self. The soup was flavorful and had generous portions of ham. It was delightful. A great place for BEERS and some food or a nice place for soup - an average BBQ restaurant.

Visited July 2013
SWFL
“After the BBQ....it is all simply TASTELESS!”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

It is sad to find such a cool place with very good BBQ meats; smoked right in front of the place.........then you go and hire a wait staff that is killing your business. I can't even to begin to relate the BAD service experience; it is sad.......how hard can this be........I'm normally a 15-20% tipper, sometimes higher if service is over the top, a smile gets you a long way with a full glass. I left no tip.

Side items are nothing special. ORings straight from Kroger; same for lukewarm FF.

Visited July 2013
“Best BBQ!”
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Wow, the dry rubbed, smoked meats are delicious. Sauce is served on the side. Everybody loved it--adults & kids alike! The salmon was absolutely perfect--smoky, moist--wow. We do take put & the staff were super helpful carrying out; parking is a little tricky. Highly recommend!

• Visited June 2013