“Surprise, in a good way...”
Review of Bistro 1860

Bistro 1860
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro 1860 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #117 of 1,850 Restaurants in Louisville
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

You know about going out and having a surprise that was OMG bad, well 1860 had none of these. The staff was very friendly and helpful but not rushing. The food was fun in that you could order in different sizes, small - one or two bites, medium - three to five bites and large - six to eight bites. My steak was so good and cooked just the way I liked, as was every ones at our table. Then another surprise, the ice cream flight. So many tastes that I would not have thought to make into ice cream. You need to try them for yourself.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

A long-time friend of mine recommended that I go to this place for a good dinner....was a great place to go.

Ordered a few mint juleps (hey, I was in Louisville...why not) and they came out even tastier than I remembered. The bartender, Shannon, was a super-cool (and hot) and knew her stuff...both on the liquor and food menus. If I go back, I sure hope she is working.

For the entrees (which can be ordered in three different portion sizes....opt for trying multiple offerings) we got the steak tartar which was beyond amazing. Also ordered the lamb pops which, as my favorite meat, I can tell you was one of the best I have ever had. I got the sashimi which had a pleasant kick to it.

It was a little pricey, so expect to pay that....but the flavor and presentation of the dishes made it well worth it. Would definitely go back the next time I am in Louisville.

1  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We are in Louisville for Derby every year and look forward to trying new restaurants. This one was one of the best of the last 28 years! Cool part of town, neat building and a great menu with most entrees offered in three different portion sizes. We didn't really know what to expect by all six of us ordering many of the bite size portions but they were big enough to split between a few people! You can make a pretty good run through most of the menu and none of them missed! I would have to keep a checklist to try the rest. Wonderfully plated, great flavors. Service was superb on this Friday night before Derby, got to be one of the busiest nights of the year and they were flawless! Wine list is very reasonable, cocktails imaginative - try a Brujo! Everyone will talk about that one! Would highly recommend this place!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

The moment we entered into this place it was inviting, exotic and sensual. We were led to the back of the restaurant with a quaint small intimate table for 2. I absolutely loved the fact that this restaurant offered 3 different portion controls... Bite Size, Appetizer, Entree. My love and I ordered the famous Mint Julip. It's a must while in Kentucky for the Derby... The Mint Julip was refreshing, with the mint muddled perfectly as to leave more flavor in the cup. Served over crushed ice with a sprig of mint delicious. We ordered the Oysters on the Half with meyer lemon and champagne minnonette and jalapeno relish... Full of flavor and oyster love.
Next we decided to get the bite size portion of the Lobster hush puppies. Hush puppies bring me back to being a kid... These are puppies all grown up with blood orange gastrique and the jalapeno cream a hint of sweet and spice made me want to order more and more... I ordered for my main the peppered crusted ahi tuna. The tuna was seared perfectly and paired with wasabi potatoes. The depth of attention to detail was properly executed every step of the way.. Thank you Bistro we will be back..

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We review favorite restaurants outside the country so why not an enthusiastic word for a superb place minutes from home. Louisville Kentucky is a foodie's paradise with innumerable really fine dining opportunities and new ones every month (recently e.g. Wild Ritas and The Place Downstairs). 1860 Bistro (maybe you knew it in an earlier life as L & N) is certainly one of the finest tables in this city. Finest! Chef..Menu..Servers..Ambiance..Superb and superior bill of fare in every way. Try it yourself!!

2  Thank troytjaden