“Mayan Cafe a great experience”
Review of Mayan Cafe

Mayan Cafe
Ranked #5 of 1,767 Restaurants in Louisville
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Latin, Central American, South American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Phoenix Hill
Description: The Mayan Cafe is a small, intimate space. Photos of our chef's village in Mexico cover the walls. We serve authentic Mayan food in an atmosphere of simple elegance.
Michigan
“Mayan Cafe a great experience”
Reviewed 29 September 2007

First off I am a bit of a foody I like to experience different cultures and food and do a lot of cooking myself. I ate at the Mayan Cafe tonight and found the food to be fantastic.

A nice interior and very comfortable room with a wait staff that was friendly knowledgeable and professional. The food was very creative and the presentation was very good. I would highly recommend all three items I had which were.
Appetizer: Chili Relleno was fantastic!
Dinner: Duck Mole with Lima and Plantains a perfect dish very tasty!
Desert: I never do desert but the rest of the meal was so good I had to try it, Bread Pudding with a chocolate sauce. It was crazy good!!!

This is not a hot and a lot place the portions are satisfying not priced crazy and the food is some of the best I have had in some time.

Enjoy,
Gary

4 Thank firestalker

Louisville
“Loved it, very intimate”
Reviewed 1 August 2007

My husband, I, and another couple went to Mayan one night, and loved it. The interior is very intimate, and the food is exotic. Theres only about 8 tables in the whole restaurant, and a side patio. I had squash cakes, REAL black refried beans, Fried Plantains (1st experience),,, Service was great. It was just really nice. It was one of those meals where you get a taste for it, and nothing else will do.

Orange County - California
“Best place we've had so far in Louisville”
Reviewed 10 May 2007

We're in town visiting from CA, and saw this place listed on our hotels website (hampton inn about a mile away). Being from CA, who knows what to expect - we have _great_ mexican places - this isn't typical though - it has a completely different menu from a different part of Mexico than we are used to. I had the turkey mole - flaky pieces of turkey - the mole sauce had some spice to it - wonderful. My Wife had the pork - so tasty. I never have dessert, but this time had the fried bananna churro - its a small portion - so you don't over do it and feel yucky afterwards. We finished eating about 20 minutes ago and thoght it was only fair to give this place a review. We will definitely eat here again if we're in Louisville.

3 Thank adamtuliper
Tennessee
“No longer Mayan Gypsy, but great food”
Reviewed 4 March 2007

We found The Mayan - not the Mayan Gypsy which was recommended. As it turns out it was a new opening of a past restaurant and the food and service were fantastic....from the appetizers to desserts. This section of Market Street has some very cool places to explore. Go enjoy what we decided was our favorite meal of a long weekend in a fun city.

3 Thank BobKats