“Glad we tried it”

Winston's Restaurant-Sullivan
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Gardiner Lane
Transit: Louisville's TARC bus route has a stop directly in front of our restaurant. Gardiner Lane and Bardstown Road.
Louisville, KY
“Glad we tried it”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I dined here recently as part of "502 Restaurant Week". Winston's had long been on my list of places I wanted to try and we just never made it for some reason.

We enjoyed our meal. I had the "Not Brown". I have to admit that the individual components were all very good, but the blending wasn't there for me. Nonetheless, I could still appreciate the quality of it. My wife had the filet. It was cooked perfectly and was very tender.

The service is not as polished as if being provided by industry veterans. However, you can tell the students are trying to do well, and are even a little nervous. To me, there's a certain charm there that offsets the sometimes inexpert delivery. Along those same lines, it also felt good to be supporting students in their endeavors. And, that also provides for a bit of a "discount" on the price of the meal versus comparable food quality elsewhere.

You should be prepared for a relatively small dining room without a great deal of atmosphere and some fairly close quarters.

We plan to return to Winston's in the future.

• Visited February 2014

kentucky
“Have to try this restaurant”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Went for lunch to check out the culinary skills of students. The restaurant is a fine dining experience handled by students. They did a great job of making us feel welcomed, helping us to select our entrée and serving us. I had the Not Brown (seafood) and it was great along with a glass of wine; husband had a Salad and the Cuban Smashed Sandwich which he enjoyed. Didn't have dessert as we were going to their Bakery across the street. Cost was about $50.00 which included tip. This was an enjoyable experience and we will return again. They are only opened for Lunch and Dinner on Friday and Saturday than they do a Sunday Brunch.

• Visited September 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
“Promotion failed to work for us”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My spouse hated the uppity service and the spouse didn't like the food so much either. Unable to use a promotional they had sold so although I had formerly liked the food, and that it is part of a culinary school, I didn't care for the customer service.

louisville, kentucky
“Simply the Best”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Our 'Ladies Who Lunch' visited Winston's at the end of May for our monthly treat and we were not disappointed. The lunch menu offered what seemed to be an endless selection making it that much more difficult to choose. We finally decided on a Cuban Smashed Sandwich, Smoked Salmon and Egg Salad Bagel, and Beef Short Rib Manhattan.

A generous amount of smoked salmon topped the egg salad which was literally falling off the sides of the bagel there was so much. I could only finish one half and saved the other for dinner. My friend let me sample the teeniest bit from her short rib that was served sitting atop mashed potatoes. The meat was fork tender and simply melted in your mouth. I didn't get to taste the Smashed Cuban which was ordered by the pickiest eater in our bunch and she repeatedly exclaimed how good it was.

Service was simply delightful with a friendly and attentive wait staff. If you're looking for creative, tasteful dishes with outstanding plating, you just can't go wrong here. I can't wait to return for dinner!

• Visited May 2013
Cincinnati
“What a Hidden Surprise!”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We immediately realized this was a Culinary School and we had gotten a certificate through a Silent Auction. We didn't even know this was here, and wouldn't have know this otherwise. I had called and spoken with Mary (the manager) on the phone, she was delightful and we were looking forward to visiting Winston's. We had the most amazing time! We went there for lunch, and we started with the most delicious Pumpkin French toast. My husband had a really tasty Panini sandwich, and I had the delicious tacos. We loved the food, the service was top notch, and you will feel like you are dining in one of the finest restaurants. They have tapas style serving also and so many choices. I have eaten at 2 of Chef Gordon Ramsey's restaurants and he would be proud of the quality of the delicious and sometimes gourmet dishes that come out. The Food is AMAZING!

• Visited April 2013