“Great Hot Brown”
Review of English Grill

English Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
English Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 1,766 Restaurants in Louisville
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Fourth Street
Transit: We have the Downtown Louisville Trolley that loops every 15 minutes. There is TARC public busing system.
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great Hot Brown”
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

We actually went to the J. Graham's Cafe at the Brown Hotel, but since it is not listed, I used this since I suspect the food and service are similar. We had the Hot Brown which is a signature dish. It fully met our expectations. Based on reviews we had read, we got half portions which were adequate. I don't believe I could have eaten a full portion. We also had the Derby Pie which was not as good as what my wife makes. Service was very good and the price was reasonable.

Visited October 2013

Martin, Tennessee
“Deliciously decadent”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is an excellent experience to share. We thought that the staff was so focused on us that it seemed like we were the only one's dining here. The food was great! The atmosphere has an old world charm with a fresh, modern twist. My girlfriend commented that she felt as if she had been dining on the Titanic.

The prices are higher, but it is a high end restaurant that delivers. Our meals were $30-$42 per plate. There are some cheaper options. The wine list is very broad with glasses of good cheap wine to bottles close to $500. There are over 200 different wines to choose from.

Over all, you have to try eating here.

Visited October 2013
Rochester, NY
“Excellent food and service!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My husband and I went to the English Grill for our 5th Wedding Anniversary dinner celebration while we stayed at The Brown Hotel. We made reservations and got a nice quiet table at the front corner of the restaurant, which did not have other tables nearby. This was much more romantic than other tables in the restaurant. We ordered the gnocchi appetizer, which was amazing. (My mother-in-law makes, gnocchi, so we are very picky about how gnocchi tastes). It had a crispy exterior, but the interior melted in your mouth. The sauce was amazing as well. My husband had the lamb chops, which he loved. I ordered the salmon, which was one of the best cooked pieces of salmon I have ever had. They also gave us complimentary dessert for our anniversary, which was a very nice surprise. We were given the signature chocolate striptease torte and an apricot torte; both were absolutely fantastic. They also gave complimentary chocolate amaretto truffles with the check, which are made by the pastry chef. Those were the best chocolates I have ever eaten and I wish they were sold in the gift shop. We would definitely eat here again.

• Visited October 2013
Dublin, Ohio
“Classy Restaurant”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our meal at the English Grill. The Hot Brown is a must. We ordered a wine they were out of, and they brought a suggested alternative that was perfect, and LESS expensive than our original request. The entire meal was excellent, and the service was outstanding. The cost was as expected, and worth it for a special evening out. The Hotel lobby is lovely, and the restaurant was quiet and romantic.

• Visited September 2013
Dallas
“The only place to get a Hot Brown”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Had to come here to try the place were the Hot Brown originated. Was not disappointed. The service was top notch. Waiter knew his stuff and took care of us explaining the history of the hotel and the dish. The Hot Brown was very delicious and filling. After dinner took a little history tour of the Hotel with Alexander who took the time to show us some remarkable antiques. Bourbon and a Hot Brown, nothing better in Louisville than at the Brown Hotel.

• Visited September 2013