“outstanding”
Review of English Grill

English Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
English Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,807 Restaurants in Louisville
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Fourth Street
Transit: We have the Downtown Louisville Trolley that loops every 15 minutes. There is TARC public busing system.
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I last stayed at this hotel in 1948 with my dad, from which visit I recall only wandering off from our room and asking a stranger to tie my shoes. From that memory we returned to see what it is like today. It is just superb in almost all areas. The reception, reservation, check in and valet experience is great. The restaurant, the English Grill is one of the best restaurants I have dined at. The service there is superb, the food is just marvellously prepared, and the price was very modest compared to the quality. My wife suggested this is worth driving a hour or two out of your way to enjoy. Oh and the old hotel decor is enchantingly preserved - we took lots of photos of each other. Of course the last question posed here: "is this one of the best meals you've had in a restaurant" gets a bit old and unanswerable after 65 years of restaurant dining.

The only downside for me is the bed is too soft. It may be old, or it may be that the beds are all chosen to accommodate the average public and it is I who am old and infirm and require a firm bed. But this is a great hotel, and a very fine restaurant.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Wonderful food, but jazz music didn't fit the classic beautiful room. Soft piano music would be much better!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We went to the English Grill at the Brown Hotel for our anniversary. I booked the reservation on OpenTable and stated that we were celebrating our 15th anniversary. The maitre d wished us a happy anniversary as he greeted us. George was our excellent and knowledge waiter. Our meal was great and for dessert we were presented with a special chocolate dessert with "Happy 15th Anniversary" written in chocolate around the plate!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

From being greeted warmly as we arrived to our departure The English Grill's attention to detail is among the best you will find at any restaurant.

At the time I placed my reservation, I asked if the Chef would prepare a vegan meal for my guest. Our reservation and vegan meal request were confirmed in advance of the reservation date.

Timing is everything when you plan to dine before attending a performance. The English Grill is my restaurant of choice when attending a performance at the nearby Brown Theater. Upon arrival for dinner, we were greeted warmly, the performance time was noted, coats were checked and we were escorted to our table without delay. Captains and waiters were advised that we were attending a performance and our service was perfect, moving from course to course without being rushed, without intrusion.

Everyone likes to be spoiled and at the English Grill this is the rule rather than the exception. The Atmosphere is understatedly elegant with beautiful warm wood paneled walls; over-stuffed, comfortable chairs and art work reflecting Louisville and Kentucky heritage. The service is impeccable. The food beautifully presented and deliciious. Finishing dinner on time for a leisure walk to the theater is due to the expert timing and coordination of the kitchen and service staff.

If you enjoy an elegant evening of dining,The English Grill at the Brown Hotel is an excellent choice. Enjoy!

Reviewed 31 March 2014

The first dinner we had in Louisville was at the English Grill- in the Brown hotel. It was very nice, the food was excellent. I also really appreciated the recommendations from the waiter, who spoke to us enough to know it was our first night in the city, and made recommendations on attractions, and even other places to eat. I can't speak highly enough about how attentive he was, and how wonderful the experience was.

I would definitely return to the brown hotel- we tried the hot brown (a Louisville classic), and it was excellent as advertised. They even gave us a recipe to take home! Overall, our food was amazing, and an excellent start to the city! Also the ice cream for dessert is a must have!