“Excellent decor, good ambiance”
Review of Sora Sushi - CLOSED

Sora Sushi
Cuisines: Japanese
Pewee Valley, Kentucky
“Excellent decor, good ambiance”
Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

I've become a fan of sushi in the last few years. I won't claim expertise of Japanese cuisine from the handful of Japanese restaurants I've visited, but I appreciate and can recognize very good food and service when I encounter it. On those characteristics, Sora Sushi is highly recommended. While I usually don't go so long in my reviews, the restaurant currently does not have a public website, which I think is a huge oversight nowadays. (For what it's worth, they have a Facebook presence.) So, without a picture or a complete menu to easily preview, I want to put something online that gives a full appreciation of the restaurant.

First, the ambiance. The restaurant is where a buffalo wing franchise once stood. It's repainted and newly decorated inside, but only to a point. The walls are a rich purple, with Japanese flourishes, but otherwise, the video games and large screen tv's leftover from the wing franchise are left intact. The music is on a satellite classic rock station. On one hand, it's not a traditional Zen experience, but on the other hand, it's charmingly non-pretentious and probably appropriate for its expected clientele. (A Ford plant is just up the street; perhaps that's why Skynyrd blares while I sip my miso soup?) It's not exactly a space for a romantic dinner, but family friendly and I appreciate it for what it is.

Next, the menu. The food list is plentiful -- if anything, almost overwhelming with choices, but this is in line with a few Japanese restaurants I've visited, and not a problem if you have patience to make your selection. On a recent trip we enjoyed an excellent bottle of wine from a plentiful spirits list. (There was a sign about a warm sake special, something I haven't tried yet but will one of these days.) I should also add that there is a short kids menu.

The customer service -- impeccable! I've done both carry out and dine in, and the hostess and staff have always been fantastic. All smiles, friendly, helpful, courteous. At a recent outing, the hostess was very sweet with my young daughter, who mostly left her noodles untouched and ate from my wife's teriyaki chicken and fried rice. She mentioned that there were "lots of noodles" (a gentle sympathy for my daughter's untouched plate) but seemed genuinely concerned if there was anything wrong with the food and if she ate something to fill her up. That was a wonderful touch.

Which brings us, last but not least, to the food. My wife is NOT a huge fan of Asian cuisine, but she was willing to try the restaurant after I had praised the place from several carryout trips. That said, even she thought it was delicious. Even simple dishes like the salad with house dressing got a lot of compliments from our dinner party. While my wife stuck with teriyaki and fried rice (which she enjoyed), the rest of our party munched on a Texas, Hawaii and (my personal favorite) Ford sushi rolls. All were plated excellently and tasted fantastic.

One last thing I should mention is consistency. From the customer service to the food quality, it's always been excellent.

I highly recommend Sora Sushi. The fact that it may not have the "traditional" Japanese ambiance should not stop you from having a wonderful Japanese meal. In fact, the winning customer service and its lack of pretension may even be a plus for some diners. I am happy to add it to my list of restaurants I regularly frequent.

Visited March 2013