“Americanized Indian food.. Not authentic. Just average.”

Shalimar Indian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Shalimar Indian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #175 of 1,820 Restaurants in Louisville
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: East Louisville
Cross street: Bunsen Way
Description: Growing up in an immigrant Indian family, we understood that America is the land of opportunity, where dreams come true. We're grateful to all the guests who have given us the opportunity to share our vision. Some restaurants are ideal for special occasions. Indeed we hope many of you, our guests, will celebrate birthdays, anniversaries and other memorable events with us. But, at Shalimar we strive to make every lunch and dinner a special occasion for every guest. When we open the doors to the restaurant for lunch, dinner or catering, it's as if we're opening the doors to our own homes and inviting guests to enjoy extraordinary food paired with a rich Indian lager beer or a glass of wine from our extensive wine list. Our menu features the finest Northern Indian entrees and our specialty Tandoori (Clay Oven) dishes. Shalimar is elegant, relaxed, and affordable, inviting guests to enjoy the hospitality that reflects our Indian heritage.
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Shalimar has good ambiance.. Service is good.. Food is fine.. Suitable for people who would like to try Indian cuisine but can't take em hot n spicy.. It is not Indian spicy.. U gotta tell em to make it extra spicy, yet smtn dsn add up.. Failed to impress me. Over all it is an OK restaurant.. But if u want to eat good Indian food, this is not d place..

Sukh B, Owner at Shalimar Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

While I'm glad you appreciated our service, it breaks my heart to hear our food described as just average. We only cook with authentic Indian ingredients and spices, so I'm surprised it didn't taste that way. As you mentioned, we're more than happy to make any dish extra spicy. If you have any suggestions for us to improve, please let me know.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I visited Shalimar for the first time the other night for my friends Birthday. Between everyone in the group we ordered a large variety of things off the menu. I personally tried the garlic Naan, Lentil Soup, and the Chicken Saag. I ordered my Saag mild, but it came out more like medium at most Indian restaurants. I also heard the same thing from one of my fellow diners about their dish. The taste was good though. In addition we had to ask for our drinks several times before they were brought, but they almost hovered too much to refill the water glasses.

The restaurant seemed very clean with nice decor. And the staff was very polite.

Overall our visit was good, but I think they have a couple of things to work on.

Sukh B, Owner at Shalimar Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thanks for celebrating your friends birthday with us, Karen! While I'm glad you enjoyed your meal overall, I'm sorry you felt our food was a tad too spicy. I'll be sure to pass along your feedback to the kitchen so that mild actually tastes mild. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you're in the mood for Indian food!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I am a foodie. Being in Louisville Ky. is heaven. This town has innumerable choices in dinning. I also happen to have some gastrointestinal issues so I have to be careful where and what I eat. A few years ago I decided to try Indian cuisine, given my previously mentioned issues I was apprehensive. I tried a lamb dish and tandoori chicken. It ws s quite literally amazing. Two days later I realized I'd had no problems with the food.

For the past 6 years I have been going for lunch buffets, dinners, and social events. I probably go through a frequent diner card every six weeks.

Shalimar has become my go to place for any occasion. It has become part of my life. The food is really beyond description. It is just that good. Whenever I have a friend who wants to try something new I bring them here ... everytime, everyone leaves a fan.

Shalimar is truly an institution. I eat here regularly and never grow tired of the flavor, atmosphere, and service. You will never go wrong spending your time and money here. Get the lunch buffet to get a sample of the palate and go from there.

Happy dining!

2  Thank Kentuckizona
Sukh B, Owner at Shalimar Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you so much for all your support over the last 6 years. It's an honor to know you find our food "literally amazing." I really appreciate you introducing us to your friends, and I'm glad each has left a new fan. The next time you dine with us, be sure to say hello so I can thank you in person. Hope to see you back again soon!

All the best,

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Being from out of town, I'm not sure how this outlet compares to other area Indian offerings, but I have to say Shalimar barely passes muster for its lunch buffet.

Most of the staples are there... chicken tikka, butter chicken, etc. If a paneer offering was there I didn't see it, and truthfully I didn't notice daal either. The food as it was left plenty to be desired. It was approximations of the right tastes, but certainly didn't impress.

I wouldn't avoid Shalimar if a friend really wanted to go, but wouldn't rush back either.

1  Thank Scott Z
Sukh B, Owner at Shalimar Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Scott,

I'm sorry to hear you were underwhelmed by our Indian cuisine. As demonstrated by our reputation on TripAdvisor, we're one of Louisville's favorite Indian restaurants. That's because we only serve authentic Indian dishes, inspired by old family recipes. Do you have any suggestions for us to improve? I appreciate your feedback and hope to hear back from you soon. I would also like to inform you that we get a wide range of customers spice level for lunch and the buffet should not be a judge on what we can do for you on a dinner entree. I would also recommend coming in for our weekend buffet since we get a lot more Indian clientele on the weekends, we make the food a bit spicier for the guests.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

WOW! I have always wanted to try Indian food before and finally got the chance. It was amazing. I had the Chicken Tikka Masala, Broccoli Masala, and Cheese Kulcha. The Chicken Tikka Masala so far is my favorite dish! I need to check out the lunch buffet one day. I love the atmosphere and the staff is very polite.

Sukh B, Owner at Shalimar Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you so much, Jaime! I know I've said this already, but it really means a lot to me that you took the time to recommend us on all the review sites. I'm passionate about Indian food, so I'm thrilled that your first experience trying it was so fantastic. The next time you visit, be sure to say hello so I can thank you in person.

All the best,