“I was pleasantly surprised”

Frazier History Museum
Ranked #26 of 194 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Owner description: The Frazier History Museum is a world-class museum that provides an unforgettable journey through history with ever-changing and interactive exhibits, daily performances by costumed interpreters and engaging special events and programs. To complement our amazing permanent collection, which includes thousands of items from famous world leaders and one of the country's largest toy soldier displays, the Frazier Museum offers an ever-changing selection of intriguing temporary exhibits. Every day, we offer live historic performances, bringing visitors face to face with some of the people and events that changed the world forever, as well as with average people whose moving and important stories you've probably never heard. The Frazier Museum is located on downtown Louisville's "Museum Row" in a beautiful 100,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility originally called the "Doerhoefer Building," a late 19th century, Chicago-style commercial structure. The Frazier Museum has three floors of exhibits, an education center, Museum Store and tournament ring, as well as event spaces available for rent, including a beautiful Rooftop Garden featuring seasonal blooming flowers and our Fourth Floor Loft space that accommodates up to 360 people seated.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had avoided this place because it was a weapons museum. It has other rotating exhibits though, and I was really pleasantly surprised. I would go again when a different, interesting temporary exhibit was up.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"guns"
in 67 reviews

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

A beautiful place with a nice little parking lot just behind it. It does have TONS of guns and knives. Well displayed but this in not a museum for kids to run about, it's more for adults or very focused youth. We saw the special NFL and flag displays. They were interesting and not gimmicks. The best part was a great living history performance of Teddy Roosevelt. Worth the visit and is just across the street from the Louisville Slugger tour.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Visited while in Louisville. Not crowded, actually only a few others in the museum. Thought the kids would like, not their favorite. A lot of reading to do. They did enjoy the miniatures and the gift shop. Great parking behind building for $5. Discount if you visit one of the other museums and show tickets/receipt.Did not do football hall of fame exhibit.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was disappointed in the experience in that several of the interactive displays were "OUT OF ORDER" also several of the video players were "OUT OF ORDER", so most of it was armour and guns. The dioramas looked dirty and tired. The whole place could have used a good cleaning. The gift shop was full of old exhibits leftovers and tourist trap kiddie stuff wish they had more adult type books on armour and guns and history. Tee Shirts and the NFL display seemed to be more important than their mainstay display and they even wanted extra for that if you wanted it. Shame such a great place is dulled down to American Sports to try to get a crowd. Needs a good shot in the butt to bring it back to what I had heard it was before. Also posted discounts were amended to exclude educators unless with a large group and even with collage id was still 8.00 far more than it was worth to me. Also they do their best to get you to join with membership at ever chance they get. Come on I live 400 miles away!! So if you like dull wall displays, and cases of guns and armour then this is your place if you wanted a history museum with interactive displays then go somewhere else.

2  Thank LewieD
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was very excited and shoved this into an already busy schedule in the area, because the website and reviews sounded really interesting, but I was a little disappointed. The location is great downtown. We went in and paid our admission and the girl behind the counter tells us they won't have the "live" show part until later on in the day (so make sure you check beforehand). No problem, I love history.....yet I was at times bored. My older daughter and I enjoyed the displays of the women of Henry the VIII. My youngest enjoyed dressing in a few of the costumes. My husband enjoyed a small section on the Younger Brothers or was it Jessie James I forget. We did enjoy the (I call it American Room) with all types of heritage quilts, flags, and art. IF YOU are a gun enthusiast or armor, you will LOVE it. We did find both the guns and different types of armor interesting, but just so much of it. Oh, one very disappointing thing for the kids was the majority of interactive display items didn't seem to work. We enjoyed some aspects of the museum, but as a whole this was our least favorite of all our activities in the area.