“Great staff. Clean hotel. Crappy utilities”

Hyatt Regency Louisville
Ranked #11 of 102 Hotels in Louisville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Let me start by saying, the staff at this hotel and the restaruarnt Sway were wonderful. The hotel and rooms were always clean. I have zero complaints about any of the staff or amenities. While a bit dated in style (looks like early 1980s Atrium-style hotel like many Embassy Suites), it was updated with modern decor.

Here's my peeve: the AC in our room sucked monkey nuts. If I'm spending more than $150 at a hotel, the AC had better reach ice box temps if I want it to. There's nothing worse than getting out of a shower and walking into a warm clammy room. That's exactly what happened in our room.

The "thermostat" wasn't really a thermostat at all. You set the temperature you want, but it doesn't display the actual room temperature (nice little mental trick there). I set it to 56 all weekend, and it never got below about 73-74 degrees. I can't say more exactly, but it was warmer and more humid than my house, which I keep at those temps in the daytime. Worse than that, I don't think it was pulling the humidity out of the room. The floor felt wet to your feet, as did the bed sheets. It clearly was not working properly, and a comment to the staff resulted in no improvement (they came to the room, I think, and set the temp to 64: no change).

I can understand (maybe) if it it unseasonably hot outside and the units can't keep up, but during our stay, it was 75-83 outside the entire weekend.

Also, the toilet barely flushed water down the drain, let alone toilet paper. Finally, the plastic/fiberglass shower/tub felt like the floor was going to give out.

We really enjoyed our stay in Louisville, and would have enjoyed a perfect weekend. We'll be back to Louisville, but not to the Hyatt. There are cheaper hotels closer to our destination that can't possibly have worse utilities.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1208
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,513)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Especially 4th Street Live. We stayed here for a wedding and found it fun to be on the next block from a very alive area of music and fun. Close driving distance from Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger Museum and other attractions. Nice hotel, bagel shop and restaurant on site. Plenty of places to eat within walking distance. Bathroom is a little small, but has lots of counter space. The rest of the room could use more light. Our room was not ready when we got there, so they gave us an upgrade to a larger room - it was worth the wait. We got our exercise walking from our room to the parking garage! I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marilyn S
Reviewed 24 July 2014

If you are going to live in a hotel in downtown Louisville, i would recommend this Hyatt or the nearby Hilton...both are located on the entertainment epicenter called Fourth Street. Everything downtown seems to be a walk away from the hotel. The pool is smaller than most hotels I have stayed at with a prime downtown location. I had free in-room WiFi but I believe this was due to my loyalty status with Hyatt, otherwise it might have been paid WiFi. I wish the hotel had cheaper parking for guests, especially long term guests. It would have been cheaper to park at a nearby garage than use the one located at the hotel. I am a fan of the bar/lounge (Sway) located in the lobby of the hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Hyatt was a great home base in Louisville! Sitting at the mouth of 4th Street Live this hotel provided a clean and elegant place to rest between fun events. We attended a concert at the Louisville Palace and were able to walk to the venue. Plenty of breweries and restaurants were steps from the hotel. I would certainly recommend this place to people who want to be surrounded by fun!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 22 July 2014

If in Louisville the Hyatt Regency is right in the middle of tons of stuff all within walking distance. It is great that now 4th street is a Pedestrian walkway. There is always music going on amongst other things. The hotel also has a great southern breakfast spot!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just an ok place to stay. Very good location to the downtown area. Within walking distance of many sites and area attractions. Some are a pretty good walk and there are trolleys and cabs as well in the area. The rooms area somewhat unimpressive with no safe or refrigerator, you can ask for a refrigerator. The meeting rooms were nice. We were crowded in a few because we had a large group but for the breakout sessions there were nice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This a perfect location. Located across the street from 4th Street Live. The hotel and rooms are very clean. All of the staff are professional and helpful. I recommend eating dinner at the hotel restaurant and having a beverage in the lobby bar. Great atmosphere!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family