“Average”

Ranked #2 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Mobile, Alabama
“Average”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I like the hotel, but I don't like its location. Room was clean and comfortable, It was a business trip so I didn't have time to take a look at the SPA. The area was quiet, restaurant wasn't bad.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank AbdullahKhalid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 June 2012

In April 2012 I had my wedding reception at The Brown Hotel. I have mostly wonderful things to say about the experience. I live in North Carolina and so I planned a wedding from afar.

Last spring I visited Louisville to find a wedding ceremony venue. While not every hotel had the best customer service (see my review of The Galt House), The Brown Hotel was completely different. At the time I met with Jeri Payne, the hotel's wedding coordinator. She was great. She showed us around, gave me all of the information that I needed.

I decided to have the reception at The Brown Hotel that fall. From the moment I made that decision, I had NO regrets. Working with Jeri Payne was the BEST experience EVER. She is a true professional, KNOWS her job and does it well. She held my hand through months of planning, additional visits, a few phone calls, and a few panic attacks. She offered sound advice and was never pushy. Not knowing any wedding vendors in Louisville, Jeri pointed me to a DJ and a photographer, both of whom I was VERY pleased with.

I arrived at The Brown Hotel a week before the wedding to ensure that the final touches were in place. Jeri was there every step of the way.

The wedding reception was amazing! Jeri and her team were fabulous. Guests raved about how the waiters and waitresses kept the food and drink flowing during the Cocktail Hour while everyone waited on me and my new hubby to arrive from the ceremony. He and I arrived toward the end of the hour and Jeri greeted us upon our arrival. A room away from the Cocktail Hour was waiting for us where a waiter served us appetizers and drinks.

The reception was also well done. Everything was exactly how I had imagined it would be. Jeri had the room decorated exactly as we discussed. There were other weddings in the hotel but Jeri continually came to check on us to make sure everything was good. The entire crew was wonderful. They and Jeri helped to make it a day to remember forever.

I am extremely glad that we chose The Brown Hotel for our wedding reception. Since then we have heard from guests that The Brown Hotel had the best reception food ever.

On another note, the rooms in The Brown were fabulous. Very spacious. It is an old hotel but was/is in great condition. Overall, the experience staying at the hotel was good. Most people were very nice. We had one unfortunate encounter with a bartender the night before the wedding but a manager was extremely prompt in correcting the situation. So for that, I say "Bravo" for my experience at The Brown Hotel.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are stunning with two walls of large windows. Great daylight.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Craygirl2
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience with us.
It is always great to hear from brides trusting us with their most important day.
I hope that you will stay with us for an anniversary in future. I would look forward to taking your reservation call and ensuring another great stay.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 2 June 2012

The staff at The Brown Hotel are amazing. Checkin was a breeze and they had my room available 3 hours before the actual check in time. The standard rooms are very nice however like other reviewers has posted, you need to be a very sound sleeper. You can hear every noise outside. I actually got up to see if the window was open because it was so loud. Free WiFi in the hotel is always nice. Looking forward to another night in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
It is wonderful to hear guests write about our “amazing” staff. We have a great group of people with us at the Brown…thank you for commenting.
Please call me to arrange a reservation for your next visit.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I was in the bridal party for a wedding. We were given a key to a room to get ready in with no lights or mirrors. We asked about it and were then moved to a different room that did not lock and the bridal party's money was stolen during the ceremony. We were also promised food while we were getting ready and called about it and they said they would send food up. We never got the food we were promised. We were also promised parking would be validated for the bridal party, which is why we all parked in the garage. It was never validated. I filled out a form regarding the money that was stolen and the front desk said someone would contact me. Of course, that was a lie as well. I stayed in one of the hotel's room and the cleaning people came at 8 in the morning and realized guests were in the room still and slammed the door. After this past weekend experience and the lack of customer service, I will never want to attend an event or stay in the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed two nights for business. Amazingly restored lobby. Very good service. Room was spacious considering many vintage hotels have much smaller rooms. The night life district is about four blocks north, urban renewal hasn't gotten completely into this neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 31 May 2012

What an awesome hotel! I typically don't like "old world" hotels (i'm more of a sleek-and-modern kind of guy), but this place is awesome.

The service is amazing... from the hotel shuttle to check-in, everyone was beyond friendly and helpful as they could be. My room (although it was a bit of a hike, and registration is on the second -- not ground -- floor) is really well-appointed. It's nothing huge, but it's got a so-comfy king-sized bed, some A/C that kicks *ss and free wifi that actually works!

The bathrooms are *huge* -- half again as big as the room! Shower is awesome with great temps and pressure. And although the view isn't spectacular, there are windows not only in the bedroom, but also huge windows in the bathroom, flooding the room with light.

I didn't try the hot brown, so I can't testify to that, but the hotel stay has been excellent. I'll be back!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write.
Delighted to see you enjoyed the hotel.
Always nice to hear that a guest will return. Please call me to arrange your reservation and I’ll ensure we have another great room for you.
Burlington, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I loved the beauty and architecture of this hotel. The breakfast was amazing also, I still think about it and I went months ago!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
BradWalker-GM, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write. It is great to hear that you are thinking about us months later – that’s the service we like to deliver.

Hope to have you back with us in the near future.