“What a way to step back in time!!”
Review of The Brown Hotel

The Brown Hotel
Ranked #3 of 102 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My husband and I stayed three nights at The Brown Hotel on a sightseeing vacation around Louisville. The hotel is so elegant. It was close to several restaurants and had a top notch restaurant in the hotel as well. While there I tried The Hot Brown because I had read so much about it; oh my goodness, how delicious!! The staff was very friendly; beds were very comfortable; room was comfortably cool--couldn't have asked for more. I loved the décor of the lobby (like a step back in time!). There were several old menus that were framed in the lobby bar area which were so interesting to look at (1930's). The bartender was very friendly. Really liked this place and am really glad we got to experience staying here!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,067)

Reviewed 10 September 2013

The Brown Hotel is by far the best hotel I've ever been. Everything looks perfectly beautiful and the service is great. The room had a lot of space and the bed was kingsize large and comfortable. Last, but not least the room service was fantastic, the breakfast was complete and very delicious. Concluding: this hotel is excellent, it exceeds all expectations.

Room Tip: Go for a club room, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for my birthday, and I had a wonderful time !! It is an old hollywood style hotel with grand entrance !! Theatre close by, walking distance to down town Louisville , close to many Restaurants, BUT you don't have to leave the hotel for dinner because they own one of the best Restauants located in the lobby and well known in the state for their delicious, mouth watering food !! Service is superb and I recommend it for memorable wedding location !!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Beautiful, elegant and great service hotel. We booked on hotels.com and usually get stuck in one of worst rooms due to 3rd party booking, but they put us in a nice 2 queen corner room. Furniture is gorgeous and historic. Only part that left a bad thought was that booking on hotels.com was $40/night cheaper. I usually check 3rd party booking and then book through direct site, they would not honor the lower rate, so we went through outside site.
Overall it was a treat to stay at a luxurious hotel instead of a basic chain in the middle of an industrial park. If you are looking for a classy stay in Louisville, this is it!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KMgrum
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We recently reserved a block of rooms for a wedding, and were expecting at least one or two mishaps. Not one. Not even a little one. Hotel was superb in every way. Staff amazingly helpful. Even Valet Car Parkers didn't lose their temper when we had to retrieve our cars multiple times for last minute details! Hotel is in great location for anything in or around Louisville. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Club level is a great value for a little extra.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Conveniently located in wonderful Downtown Louisville, this hotel is worth the price for the beautiful hotel decor. We tried the restaurant, which was okay but not our favorite. The Hot Brown seemed a little greasy for my taste.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I grew up just a couple of hours from Louisville but I had never really visited the city. Most of my visits consisted of admiring the downtown buildings as I drove past them on I-64. My partner and I were going to be visiting family in Southern Illinois over the Labor Day Weekend, so I decided we would spend Thursday night in Louisville and maybe see some of the sights. After talking to some friends who had visited Louisville before, they recommended The Brown Hotel, The Seelbach and The Galt House. I reviewed the rates at all three hotels and found the best deal at the time was at The Brown. The best part about booking was the "add enhancements" tab. I upgraded to a bigger room for only an additional $10. When we arrived, we were greeted by Christian who valet parked our car and was very helpful with local info. I wish I could remember her name, but the girl at the check in desk was also very hospitable. ( I don't remember her name, but she is from Marion KY) After checking in and a quick look at the very beautiful yet narrow lobby, we made our way to our 10th floor west facing room. This room was so large! With four very large windows looking out over the city. All the furnishings were very nice and much more like someone's home than a hotel. The full size sofa was extremely comfortable which is something you also don't find in most hotels. The king bed was beautiful and is one of those that is so comfortable that you just don't want to get up from it....especially after a long day of driving.
With not a lot of time to actually see the city and not wanting to get back in the car again, we decided to walk down to Fourth Street Live, a great area that is blocked off for different events. What we didn't know was that every thursday is Biker Night. To say that my partner and I didn't fit in was an understatement, but I never felt unwelcomed. With not a lot to interest us and the time getting away from us, we decided to go back to The Brown for dinner.
We chose to eat in the less formal Lobby Bar/Restaurant. The English Grille is all dark wood paneled walls that looks very elegant, but a bit dark for my tastes and although we were told that we were dressed appropriately (in shorts and polos), I just didn't feel comfortable with that. We had the whole place to ourselves with it being Thursday, but that was okay. We were serenaded by a friendly pianist throughout our dinner. I HAD to have a "Hot Brown" in it's birthplace and I was not disappointed. My partner ordered the Club sandwich and was pleased as well. I think the highlights of dinner were the Heirloom tomato, mozzarella, & pickled watermelon salad and the cocktails. We aren't much on ordering drinks, but the "Man 'O War" was excellent as well as the "Kentucky Cocktail".
While The Brown is not the kind of place that you find a cheap deal, it is well worth looking into. My partner said he felt like he was royalty with the way were treated at every step.

Room Tip: I enjoyed our west facing room on the 10th floor for the beautiful sunset.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple