“"No" is not part with The Brown's vocabulary.”
Review of The Brown Hotel

The Brown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Columbia, SC
“"No" is not part with The Brown's vocabulary.”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Make The Brown your choice when staying in Louisville. I'm a meeting planner and just finished up 2 back-to-back events there (9 days, whew!). Every person I encountered at The Brown was focused on making my (and my attendees') stay a great experience. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and is very well maintained considering it's a historic property. Graceful & elegant don't begin to describe it. The rooms are well appointed, luxurious, and large. The food is delicious - The Hot Brown is a must-try. Don't pass up an opportunity to stay at The Brown.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Chatan-cho, Japan
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My sons and I stayed here for a one night layover on our way to Japan and it was wonderful. The hotel shuttle picked us up quickly and we arrived within 10 minutes. The hotel was stunning, like walking into an old movie set. My kids were blown away and wanted to explore everything. The staff is amazing and very courteous willing to help you with anything you need. Our room was great the bed was heaven and the bathroom very spacious with great soaps and lotions.
We didn't try the restaurants instead deciding to explore 4th street and found a TGI Fridays instead which was good too. I would have loved to stay longer sadly we had to go but we will be back!

Room Tip: We used Priceline and saved a lot on our room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JeremyDani C
Brad W, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Jeremy,
So pleased to read that you were pleased with your stay. Thank you for the kind words on our staff.
Please let me know when you return to Louisville and I’ll block a nice room for you.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Traveled with friends to Louisville for the weekend for a bachelor party. Last minute we needed a room and my friend came up with The Brown. Really cool place. Never stayed in a place like this before. Unfortunately there was a miss communication and we ended up with 2 single bed rooms instead of doubles. Supposedly all the double rooms were booked (didn't seem that busy) but we made it work. Would stay again if we were back in the area. We had bourbon drinks at the bar. Very LARGE list of drinks. Good service from the ladies.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights as part of a touring holiday. I had heard about the Brown hotel and was extremely excited about our visit. We were not disappointed. From the outside it looks a little ordinary - a large symmetrical box. Do not be deceived inside it is extremely elegant. The reception is behind old bank style tellers and the decoration is ornate and very fancy. The bar is in a lounge next to reception - on the second floor- just right for a cocktail before hitting the town. We were given a spacious Club room, which meant we could make use of a Club lounge for light breakfast and early evening drinks. Room was lovely with horse themed prints. I was surprised that there was no in room safe - in this day and age hotels should appreciate that guests have personal items they wish to secure safely without having to get a safety deposit box at reception. Hotel is just a short walk from the "4th Street Live" area of restaurants and bars. Welcoming, charming, service was great.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a wonderful place to stay either for a holiday or business. The character of the hotel is amazing, the food was terrific and the staff really friendly and helpful. Mr Brown did something great when he built this place. It even has that old world smell to it which adds to the whole picture. My wife and I would go back in a heart beat.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear John,
Delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay. Mr. Brown did indeed build a wonderful hotel.
Hope to see you again in future. Please let me know when you reserve and I will block a nice room for you.
Maryland
Reviewed 31 July 2014

As I was checking out of the hotel yesterday, the man checking me out asked how my stay was, then told me the hotel is on Tripadvisor. I knew it already...I checked the reviews before I booked.

I was staying at this hotel as part of a conference, but I would choose it again in a heartbeat even if I were not.

From arrival at the airport where they have a free pick up service, to the early check-in they arranged for conference attendees, to the room itself (I had one of the nicer rooms - a club floor luxury king room ), to the absolutely lovely lobby, to the late check-out they allowed, to the return trip to the airport...absolutely 5 star all the way. The care and genuine kindness with which the valets and front desk people were greeting a group of Korean War vets who were arriving for a reunion was truly heart-warming to see, and speaks volumes about the people who work here--there is a lot of pride here, and it shows in everything they do.

The conference facilities were outstanding, and the club lounge provides a nice breakfast and hors d'ouevre assortment. It was almost empty each time I went, so not sure when the "busy" time is when one reviewer said they could not find a seat. The concierge is very chatty, and was bragging about his ability to secure difficult reservations...I didn't need him, but his enthusiasm certainly would have encouraged me to take advantage of his services had I needed them.

The hotel itself is located in a great area and everything you want/need is within relatively easy walking distance.

All in all, it was a great stay for 3+ days...and should I find myself in Louisville again, I would not hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: I loved my higher-club floor room. Several people with rooms on lower floors complained about hearin...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Brad W, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,
It is always nice to see such a wonderful review from a well traveled guest.
Thank you for the wonderful comments on our staff and your club floor experience.
Please let me know when your travels next bring you our way and I’ll block a nice room for you.
VIce President and General Manager
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The good.
1.Alexander P at the front desk was extremely knowledgable about the city and was very eager to share his insights.
2.Beautiful lobby.
3.Our room was well decorated.
4.Quality mattress
5.Spacious bathroom
6.Everyone we encountered at the hotel who worked there was gracious and helpful.

The not so good.
1.Room was a little small
2.location not as good as 21c(the only other 4.5 star hotel in the city)

The bad.
No soap in our room.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your constructive thoughts following your recent stay.
Please let me know when your travels next bring you to Louisville and I’ll block a nice room for you and make sure you have plenty of soap.
Hope to see you back soon.