“Old hotel with hit or miss service”
Review of Seelbach Hilton

Seelbach Hilton
Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I spent four nights at the Seelbach recently.

I already knew the place was old, so I expected the small rooms, although the relatively low ceilings in the hallways surprised me. I have stayed at historical hotels before like the Palace in San Francisco, and they had high ceilings and more updated facilities. The Seelbach had really old looking showers.

The bed was comfortable, and the furnishings in the room were fine. The elevators were tiny. The gym was about as expected for a Hilton gym in a hotel of this size. It made me think of the Hilton in Salt Lake City.

They offer 24 hour room service, but I did not try it. I did go to eat at the Seelbach bar one night. It was pretty empty, and my server seemed surprised that I wanted to eat in addition to drink. I don't think food is the emphasis in this hotel, except maybe at the Oak Room. The Seelbach Bar has a similar menu to Gatsby's, and it wasn't great.

My beef with the place was the housekeeping. As I mentioned, I was there for four nights. I tipped the same amount every day to the staff, and every day, the housekeeper did less and less. By my last day, not only did she not fully replenish the coffee supplies, she did not fold the towels in the bathroom (I don't mind them not being replaced, but I do expect them to be something other than left hanging on the shower bar. If the Seelbach wants to proclaim itself a 5 star hotel, it should provide 5 star service, and leaving hand towels rumpled on the counter is not something I'd expect at a motel, let alone a Hilton.

Location is good if you need to be in downtown Louisville.

There are newer reviews for Seelbach Hilton

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here for one night in May 2014, travelling with family. The hotel is very opulent - the lobby is an art deco dream and the Rookwood pottery room downstairs a sight to behold.

The service though was pretty shoddy - we arrived in the middle of a torrential downpour - valet parking guy came with his umbrella to ask if we were parking, which was fairly obvious. He then disappeared, leaving us and our luggage to get absolutely soaked. He didn't fill in our valet ticket either, which meant his colleagues had to search for our car for some time when we left.

We stayed on the top floor, our room was spacious and clean. Very high ceilings. Bathroom was nice, but lacked space to put anything down in. The bed though was fabulous, very comfortable. Access to the executive lounge was great, free drinks and canapes and an honesty bar for spirits.

The hotel comped us breakfast after our poor welcome - buffet style in the Gatsby breakfast room, it was plentiful and tasty, with omelettes made to order by a friendly chef.

The bar has a massive selection of bourbons which pleased my partner, as we were heading off on the bourbon trail afterwards. The bar isn't as swish as you'd think from the rest of the hotel though.

The hotel is situated right next to main street live area which is good for bars on a saturday night. the microbrewery on the corner of the main street live block was good.

All in all, I'd stay there again, just for the bed - so comfortable!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at the Seelbach May 18th though the 23rd (2014). Walking in you are blown away by the character of the hotel, the stairs, the marble the glass ceiling was amazing. But then I got to the front desk where my service was rude, and then I got to my room which was SMALL, and I mean Small (room 200). There were 2 of us, and our things and the iron board took up the entire room. The bathroom was also SMALL, with a pedestal sink, no place for make up, curling iron or anything at all!! BUT the bed was VERY comfortable, the TV was new, there was plenty of outlets even plenty outlets near the bed, also it was quiet i didn't hear the elevator at all,
The history of the hotel is reason enough to go, just be prepared for a more "cozy" sized room...

Room Tip: Room 200 is VERY small and so are the elevators!
2  Thank Christine L
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This ia one of the oldest Hotel in the city, The history is amazing. Rooms have been renovated and are comfortable. The Hotel Bar serves great Adult beverages. The location is on the end of "Main Street Live". . They offer an upgrade I here is worth the extra $.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade. IIf you are a light sleeper ask for a room away from Main Street Live.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We enjoyed our 2 night stay. Rates were reasonable and our suite was fine except for an accessible bathroom with little space for our toiletries, etc. The Oak Room was very good but quite an elegant as I expected. Bar and breakfast service were both fine. We would consider staying there again if we were in Louisville.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Marsha B
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Luxury on a large scale. From the lobby to the service, this hotel has never let me down in more than 50 stays. Located in the bustling 4th Street Live area, it allows access to numerous resaurants and lots of nightlife.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Charles W
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We checked in on 5/24/14 around 2:15PM. It was really busy and we had to wait a few mins, but the front desk clerk was so polite. He apologized and worked very hard to accommodate all of our requests; he made the check in so smooth! Our room was small, but expected due to age of hotel. You HAVE to visit the bar downstairs! Our waitress was knowledgeable about bourbon and recommended several bourbons to try (we loved them all)! The executive lounge was a very nice touch and the gentleman working was attentive and kind. We had a wonderful experience; we have recommended the Seelbach to all of our friends and will go back soon!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple