“Classic Hotel - Great Location”
Review of Seelbach Hilton

Seelbach Hilton
Ranked #17 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Nashville, Tennessee
“Classic Hotel - Great Location”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were meeting some friends in downtown Louisville, and they had already selected this property. We were fortunate in that we were able to use Hilton Honors points to book our room.

First of all, this is a great location in downtown Louisville. Fourth Street Live (covered street pavilion like downtown Las Vegas) is literally across the street. We walked to quite a few places and were really surprised by how nice the Louisville downtown was.

The hotel is a very old "classic" kind of building that brings all of those features into the discussion. The building is 100 years old or such, and so it has the ornate lobby, a fancy bar, and supposedly some nice restaurants - we didn't have time to see much of that. But it was a nice classic entrance and the hotel has a lot of character. Al Capone supposedly hung out here a log during and after Prohibition.

Our room was fine - possibly slightly dated, but it was roomy, and the bed was excellent. We didn't have much of a view (in our free room), but we weren't in there much anyway.

We self-parked in the garage behind the building and our overnight fee was $16. Didn't seem to bad, and a bit less than I expected.

Overall good stay...would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Sure, the Seelbach Hotel was something special in its heyday... 50 years ago. Now it's just a dated, overpriced hotel that is living off its storied past.

If you opt to self-park ($18 overnight), the garage entrace is on Muhammad Ali Blvd. DON'T blink or you'll miss it. DON'T follow the signs for "Rear Hotel Entrance" up to the 6th level or you'll find out the hard way it was for nothing. Park on the lower level and take the elevator to the ground floor. Entrance to the hotel is across the alley way.

The lobby is nice -- ample gathering space and the front desk agents are friendly and helpful. There's the renowned Seelbach Bar and the Oak Room, great options when you consider what other hotels have to offer. I had a room on the 9th floor and MAN, THIS ROOM HAS SEEN BETTER DAYS. There are chips and dings all over the doors and walls, dripping shower, yellow stains on the tub, period stain on the desk chair.... should I keep going? The bathroom is TINNNNNYYY. I'm no KG, but I'm pretty sure my 5'4" wingspan can touch the door and tub at the same time.

The saving grace of this hotel is the SOLE FACT that it is across the street from 4th Street and a handy CVS for those little items that you left at home.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is the third historic hotel I've stayed in over the last two months and I am fairly forgiving with them because the old world charm usually outweighs some of the negatives in my mind. The Seelbach stay was an exception, though.

For starters, they put me in a dungeon room where you could not even tell if it was daylight out. There are many rooms that face out onto a brick wall and other rooms. If you get one of these rooms, it is not worth staying at this hotel because it is extremely dark and depressing. I asked to change rooms and they agreed to switch my things by noon the next day. They asked me to pack my things and told me that they would move my bags while I was out. When I got back after lunch, they still had not moved me, but assured me that I would be moved by the time I returned in the evening. That didn't happen either. If I had known that they would not come through with the room change, I would've switched hotels. It was bad, but I was willing to give another room a shot.

In addition to the dungeon aspect, there was a dirty towel hanging over the shower rod and used soap and shampoo in the shower when I arrived. They only half cleaned my room after the first night. The air conditioning unit made such a loud roar that I had to turn it off (although it was over 90 out) and there was some really strong, offensive deodorizer smell throughout the entire hotel - hallways, lobby, room... It was nauseating. The room was small and you could only open the door about 2/3 of the way because of the large chair and desk sitting behind it. Décor in the rooms and the hall are extremely dated. Carpets could stand to be replaced throughout.

The lobby is beautiful and it's worth a stop if you're in Louisville but I wouldn't recommend a stay.

Room Tip: Any room facing an interior courtyard will be extremely dark
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Peter D, Guest Relations Manager at Seelbach Hilton, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
I must start by offering my sincere apology for the poor service and accommodations you received. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to change your room after your first room failed to meet your expectations. While I am grateful for that opportunity, I am very disappointed to learn how we failed to properly execute the room change we promised. There is no excuse for that failure. Likewise there is no excuse for the housekeeping items you mentioned (used soap and shampoo, dirty towel). I would like to highlight any positive experiences you had during your stay but we seemed to have missed the mark on all elements with the exception of the appearance of the lobby. We would love the opportunity to make it right on your next trip. If your travels should take you through Louisville I would like to personally assist with setting up your accommodations. Please reach out to me at the hotel for this or any other questions you may have.

Yours in Hospitality,

Peter Dueppen
Guest Services Manager
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Historic hotel in downtown Louisville. Was in town for event, and every place was booked except for this hotel. Rates are more, plus valet parking. If you like history, you'd like this hotel. Our room had two double beds, some furniture. Not as spacious as newer hotels, but could overlook it because of hotel's age. The bathroom was small, but well organized. Corner shower. There were just two of us in the room, and we did not spend much time in it. I think any more than two people might have found it a bit crowded. The hotel is beautiful with some great features. I would recommend a walk through even if you are not staying. We tried the Sunday brunch. It was a bit pricey, but it went a long with the experience of staying in a historic property. I was worried we might be too far from the event we were there for, but not at all. Could walk back and forth. I like to try historic hotels from time to time. This one is rich in history -- F. Scott Fitzgerald used it as a setting in the Great Gatsby, so naturally curious!
Would I stay here again? I would, but will try another hotel when I return to Louisville in a few months.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The rooms were adequate, the bathroom was a bit on the small side, but the beds were comfortable. The hotel bar was quite lively, and the room service options were nice and reasonable. This hotel has a great location, and the room rate was good as well.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This place has seen better days. Old can be charming but this just felt outdated and needing some care. The breakfast was not worth coming back for. However all staff were extremely helpful and this made up for it to an extent.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

California
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed here three nights broken up by a few days in between. The hotel boasts a free shuttle service from the Louisville airport and gives instructions as to how to contact the hotel at arrival. However, we waited at least one hour at the airport for the shuttle and called three times before we were finally told to just get in a cab. The room itself was a bit shabby. There is visible peeling paint from the window and the caulking in the bathtub needs to be refreshed. Upon our return, when I asked if I could have the desk clerk print our airline boarding passes - a standard courtesy at most hotels today - I was told to use the self service computers - which I was happy to do - but it was impossible to print them out as the printers were set to "fax only" and no one knew how to re-set them to "print." Most troubling is that the walls are paper thin and all night long we could hear everything going on in the hallway - staff members with walkie talkies at 2:00 a.m., laughing revelers at 3:00 a.m., entire conversations from the room next door. While this hotel boasts an interesting past, I am not sure I would stay here again just for the historic value and location next to Fourth Street and Starbucks.

Room Tip: Our room on the fourth floor only viewed nearby buildings.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family