“Thankfully it was only 1 night”

Quality Inn & Suites University/Airport
Ranked #73 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This hotel used to be a great place, and we've stayed here countless times before so I don't know how it came to be what it is today. The hallways stank of cigarette smoke, and when I informed the front desk, they did go up and sprayed some air freshener but only partway down the hall. This only masked the odor temporarily and nothing was actually "taken care of". The rooms are horribly outdated, and exactly like the images posted by others (only my room was slightly even more worse for the wear); they are currently in the process of updating them though as was discovered when my family visited the pool—this is where they are storing all the new cabinets, carpet, etc. Even with new updates to the room though, I'll never be staying at this location ever again. The hotel overall is a dump starting with the horribly decorated lobby, which is anything but fun looking and downright depressing. Upon entering the elevator, you feel like you just stepped into a shower—who decorates their elevators with bathroom tile? These guys do. Smoking rooms need to be completely separated from the non-smoking rooms. In short, don't bother with this hotel: there's nothing of Quality here.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank James T
John H, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites University/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

We are sorry that someone smoked in the hallway while you were here, we do not allow this, besides using air freshner how would you suggest we "take care of " it?The pool is the only place we have room to store new furniture etc. for 87 rooms but this still leaves plenty of room to swim as our pool area is 4 times larger than most hotel pools in the area. Sad that you have stayed here countless times and the same lobby that you use to think was great is now horribly depressing to you.The elevator has a granite floor, we do not have bathroom tiles in our elevator. Thanks for all the "countless times" you stayed with us in the past and taking the time to tell us all how you really feel on tripadivsor.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed at this property recently after driving all night for an early morning meeting in Louisville. I always check hotel reviews before selecting hotels, but did not this time because I did not expect to arrive in Louisville until the following morning. Upon arrival, the hotel seemed fine. The lobby was very nice and the front desk associate was very helpful and friendly. The rate for my nights stay was also very fair. I was disgusted upon checking into my room. The room was very dirty and smelled horrible. The last time I stayed in a room of this quality was probably as a teenager at a hotel party. I decided to bite the bullet and tough it out for the hour and a half I had to sleep before my meeting. I made sure all of my bags were off the floor in a safe location and decided to sleep with all my clothes on. As soon as I pulled back the covers, multiple bugs scurried to hiding places around the bed. I am not sure what they were, as they did not look like roaches.I assumed they were bed bugs. I immediately packed all of my things and requested a refund from the front desk associate. He was very surprised that I had found bugs in my room, as they "just sprayed the week before." I was given a refund without any hassle and got out of there as quickly as I could. I do not understand the number of positive reviews for this property. I was completely disgusted.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank chuckcmcn
John H, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites University/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We try our very best to insure each guest is satisfied and we are sorry that we could not meet your expectations. If you ever do return we promise you will not have any of these problems here again.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stay at this hotel every time we visit Louisville, which is at least three to four times a year. We love that the nightly pet fee is so minute and that there is a kitchenette in every room. The king beds are always in good shape, even though the mattresses are a little firm for my liking. I still have a good night's sleep there, though. The free breakfast every morning is always fresh and hot. It's one of our favorite parts of this hotel! The staff has always been nothing but friendly and appreciative of our business. It's the perfect location for things in downtown Louisville without actually being downtown. It's also the perfect distance from the Mall St. Matthews, which is a hot spot for us when we're there. Honestly, we had to stay at a Hilton for a few days and we hated it. We were so glad to get out of that Hilton and into this Quality. The value just wasn't there at the Hilton. We look forward to our next weekend getaway with you!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsHayes589

We greatly appreciate you leaving your review on TripAdvisor. We also appreciate your repeat business as well. We promise that we will continue to make improvements on our property so that hopefully your next stay will be even better than your last stay was.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

stayed during recent gie expo very good stay room was good for this price level motel, good parking, past reviews slam the breakfast, it is inline for most motels today people expect 5 star breakfast for free. the staff and owners where great in every way.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Michael W
John H, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites University/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. We hope you decide to stay with us again if ever in Louisville and can assure you that your next visit will be even better than the last as we are currently making improvements and renovating. We appreciate your comments.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The only room I could find in Louisville due to the FFA convention in town. The only room they had left was a smoking room. The room was dirty and in need of repair/replacing many pieces of furniture and fixtures. The air conditioning unit needs to be replaced as well. I'll book much earlier next time I need a room and find another hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jon G

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us Jon. You reserved an accessible smoking room through a third party website with a requests for non-smoking and upgrades on a convention week that books hotels for 60 miles so to accuse the hotel of being overpriced is reaching a bit when we were lower priced than most in the city that week. Had you mentioned any problems with your room we would have had them corrected however we were not and can not make a smoking room non-smoking overnight.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel is terrible. It's dirty, worn down, smells and poorly maintained.
You can tell people are living there based on the strange food smell coming from the rooms. The breakfast is disgusting.
There is little to no pride taken in this property. It right next to the freeway, so it's also very noisy.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kyle M
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed here for the first and last time. Definitely NOT representative of Choice Hotels. The exterior is lovely and so is the lobby but it's just a confidence game to hide the ugly rooms. The room (see photos- there are 6 in all-click more to see them) looks as if someone who had no experience attempted repairs.

There was dust behind the headboards that had teeth. Otherwise, the room was clean, the linens nice and the mattresses were very comfortable. The front desk was very friendly, helpful and polite.

The free breakfast was passable, although the coffee was colored hot water. Waffles, cold boiled eggs, bagels, bread, a few donuts, biscuits, sausage gravy, oranges. The Maggie Moo creamers curdled in our coffee.

Absolutely NOT worth $90 + - Choice Hotels should not allow them to keep the association - find somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Irish322
John H, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites University/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

We are sorry that you were less than satisfied with your recent stay with us and can assure you that if you do return you will not have these problems here again. We are currently starting phase 2 of our renovations which consist of re-texturing and painting/re-calking. Your photo of something missing is actually where we recently re-placed the counter-top with granite and will look better after phase 2 is complete. We really do feel we offer the best value in the area as we offer refrigerators, stove-tops and microwaves in every room along with Jacuzzi brand whirlpool tubs in 95% of the rooms, usually for less than our competitors which offer hardly any of these items. As always if you did not feel our hotel was right for you after inspecting the room we would have let you out of your reservation without penalty and even offered to help you find another property in the area.