“Review from the lodge RIGHT NOW”

Barren River Lake State Resort Park
Kevil, Kentucky
“Review from the lodge RIGHT NOW”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I am spending night 3 of a 4-night trip to Barren River State Resort Park for a conference. I have a temporary medical problem limiting my walking, so I am in a handicapped-accessible room, but I can't advise on the facilities for those needing a wheelchair.

General impression: Bedroom and bathroom are spacious, although they look a bit outdated. Walls are thin, so you hear noises from the rooms beside you from time to time. Love the little balcony with iron patio furniture, but the trees nearly completely block the view of the lake. Convention center is adequate for our business needs, and lodge rooms are in easy walking distance from convention center/lobby/restaurant. Have eaten lunch and dinner buffets most of the week with results ranging from OK to good. Plenty of meal variety offered on the buffet, and diners may also order off the menu. Pool was filled this week in anticipation of opening for the Memorial Day weekend, but it's not ready yet. It is a large outdoor, unheated pool.

The pros: Clean. Peaceful surroundings, some wildlife spotting, beautiful view of the lake from the surrounding patio/deck at the breezeway between lodge buildings. Free wifi in the lodge (I understand NOT in the cabins, however.) Plenty of space to stretch out. Comfortable beds. Good water pressure with plenty of hot water. In-room coffee and hairdryer available. Digital thermostat that is very responsive in every room to make sure your temperaure needs are met exactly. Not really enough plug-ends to meet electronic needs of many travelers. What few there are are located awkwardly, mainly behind furniture that must be moved to access them.

The cons: Only basic cable, and it's an older style (not flat-screen) TV. Extremely old-style telephone that looks like it has been here since the 1980s. Although the bathroom appears recently renovated, the bedroom has some darker paneling and older looking carpet squares. Flushing the toilet it sounds like a jet taking flight. Air conditioner is also unusually loud, and walls are thin.

Conclusion: Fine if you don't mind more rustic surroundings. Makes a peaceful getaway. If you're looking for more action or creature comforts and luxuries, this is probably not the right spot for you.

Room Tip: You might prefer to ask for a room on the end so you don't have rooms on both sides of you since...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bowling Green, Kentucky, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

The dining room has a great view but today that was about all that was great.
Buffet looked like if was left from yesterday and notheing added.
Asspargaus shoud be adente not mashed, the salad bar was not fresh and seemed
to most of the girls a l0t of things are missing.
The stat really need to imporve the dining and especially change the menus to
reflect each resort or hotel.
Really now, does it have to be this bad.
D. Hayes

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blakey H

Travellers are raving about these Lucas hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

My wife and I decided to visit a State park for our anniversary this year. Since we have stayed at many state parks, but never Barren River, we decided that would be our destination. Being on a budget while I am in school we wanted privacy and relaxation. When I called the resort to check on an advertised, two night lodge special, I inquired whether it was available for use on a cottage rather than a resort room. The staff put me on hold, spoke to the manager and came back to offer me a Spring Break package (that had expired) that included a two night stay in an Executive cottage, one complimentary pizza, four soft drinks and a dozen cookies per night. They went out of their way to accommodate our needs and work within our budget.

THE EXECUTIVE COTTAGE:
Very large cottage that contained two full bathrooms, a well stocked kitchen, dinning room that seats six, comfortable living room, small walk out deck that looks toward the lake. The sleeping arrangements consisted of two spacious bedrooms that had a total of four full sized beds. (Could easily sleep 10 people if two took an air mattress in the living room.)

Pros:
Nice Privacy, parking for two vehicles (possibly four), spacious cabin, clean, reading nook, charcoal grill and picnic table. Very friendly and professional staff. Close proximity to Bowling Green and Glasgow. Lots to do within 20 miles of your room.

Cons:
Low flow shower heads are a huge let down. Staying away and spending hard earned money is an indulgence and a luxury. When I stay at a hotel, motel or lodge I want a shower that I have to be run out of because I have been in too long. A good shower is supposed to relax the stress from your shoulders not add to it by fighting with a sub par trickle.

We were off season so the food was not the best. Our room came with a free pizza per night but it was some of the worst I have had anywhere. Pizza is my favorite food but on the second night I asked the staff if I could trade the pizza for an extra dozen cookies (to take home to the kids). They accepted my request and I shared my feedback with the front desk so they can improve this option for future guests.

The first nights buffet looked wonderful but since we arrived late and had the free pizza we choose the pizza option. The next morning I was looking forward to starting our day off with a much anticipated breakfast bar but it was not offered. We ordered off the menu and it was excellent.

Overall:
A good assessment of our stay would come from answering whether I would bring my family back for a return visit. If I am honest I would have to say that I would not only bring back the kids but also split the cost by sharing the other bedroom with the extended family or the grandparents. I know it sounds extreme but I will be traveling with my own shower head to any state park I visit in the future. When staying in a cottage I will also plan on cooking on the grill and in the kitchen (like we normally do to cut down costs).

Don't take a my review as the gospel. The best way to decide whether Barren River is right for your family is to come on down and spend a weekend with them. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any available deals.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crmpacer
Lisa D, General Manager at Barren River Lake State Resort Park, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for sharing your very special date with us. Your comments matter to us and we have reviewed how we do pizza and have made changes! Thank you for taking the time to point this out to us! We try not to waste food so we generally do not offer buffets when we expect to have fewer hungry guests. We would love to welcome you back!
Cottontown, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

A nice place but it is standard buffet food. Good for large groups and a nice view of the wooded area. Friendly service. Very nice if you want to visit a state park. Many don't have this level of amenity.

Room Tip: Did not stay in rooms. Only ate at restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

I stayed a week at this resort for some annual training and found it very relaxing and enjoyable. This is a state park and like some of the other state parks that I have stayed at it has that rustic simple feel to it. I stayed in the resort lodge but they also offer really nice cottages if you are traveling with a larger group. The bathrooms are updated and the rooms are nice and spacious. I really enjoyed the patio/deck that overlooks the lake. On two occassions I looked outback and saw a bald eagle perched on a tree right out my back window which was pretty cool. The room had basic cable but the walls are thin and you can hear casual conversations of your neighbors next door. They do have free wifi in the resort rooms, conference room, and lobby. The cottages do not have wifi. We ate at the resort restaurant everyday for lunch and a couple of times for breakfast and found it to be very good. Even though it was a buffet they mixed up the offerings and you can tell the staff takes a great deal of pride in preparing the meals and deserts. The service at the restaurant and resort in general was excellent. The rates were affordable and I could certainly see us taking the family back during warmer climates in order to enjoy the large outdoor pool. If you golf they have a nice course on the property which I ran on each morning. There were deer and wildlife everywhere.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room that does not have guest on each side of you since the walls are so thin...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank tjlex
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012 via mobile

We had a great time. We went there to relax and spend a little family time with our 3 kids. It was very laid back and peaceful. We stayed in a cabin which was a bit dated but very clean and roomy. It's not the Ritz but then again it is a LAKE trip. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Reginawin
KY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

I stayed at the Beach Cottages in 2005-7 in the off-season and they seemed okay. The rates are about half beginning in November and the park is a nice, quiet get away.
I reserved a Beach Cottage for a weekend in July and I was absolutely enraged with the condition of the place.
Food left in dirty refrigerator. Dirty countertops and microwave, furniture rings on table and end tables. Dirty tile floor and carpet. There was FOOD, lots of it on the floor under the kitchen cabinets and in between cabinets and appliances. Carpet had not been vacuumed. I found a plastic wrapper stuck to the tile floor in front of the fireplace and rolled up bits of paper on the carpet. The bathroom mirror had not been cleaned. Dirty glass on front door. The place had not been dusted in months. Basically, all the housekeeping staff did was change sheets and sort of clean bathrooms. Period.
This doesn't include the general rundown appearance of the property. It needs paint and clean furniture.
I called the front desk and they wanted to know if I would like to change cabins. I did not so they sent housekeeping. These 2 women looked at me like I was from the moon. I took them through the cabin and pointed out the obvious filth and mentioned that I would be sharing this with the Park Commissioner in Frankfort. This seemed to light a fire under them so they cleaned a good 40 minutes.
These cabins are 250.00 per night and should be clean to say the least.
There is no longer a lake view from these cabins because they have let the woods grow up totally blocking the view where the beach is closed anyway. I walked down to the beach and it is plain to see the area was not cleaned up after the big flood of Spring 2011. What a shame. This used to be a nice place but no more.
Some of our party went to the lodge to eat Sat. night and the wait staff seemed annoyed they ordered off the menu and did not eat the buffett. They said the food was OK.
The marina seemed like a state of confusion. I put 2 drinks of SoBe on the counter and she rang up 182.00. What? It was immediately corrected. Another man was trying to return a tube he was sold that was not pictured correctly on the front of the package. After much hassle they made it right. Another young man wanted to rent a pontoon for 2 hours and they said it would be 150.00/Half Day Rate. They would not pro rate it. Good Grief.
Needless to say we will NOT be returning and I plan to share this experience with all my friends and family who are involved in State Government.
Barren River State Park needs to get it together!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank reedarama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucas
Sleep Inn & Suites
The Hotel SYNC
#1 of 35 in Bowling Green
Baymont Inn & Suites Cave City
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Mammoth Cave

Been to Barren River Lake State Resort Park? Share your experiences!