“Nice campground”

Barren River Lake State Resort Park
Louisville, Kentucky
“Nice campground”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed here in June 2013 with a group of other campers and brought a pontoon boat.

The park was very clean and on the back "A" loop we had views of the lake. The sites were level and had water and electric with a dump station on the way out of the campground. There is even plenty of parking for boat trailers with a boat launch so you did not have to leave the campground. I was amazed how little traffic there was on the lake on that particular saturday afternoon, even with 80 degree temperatures.

We did have quite a few bugs and flies and would recommending to be sure to bring tiki torches or some sort of bug repellant but it was not much of a problem until late at night.

This is a place I would definitely return to, but be sure to bring a boat to take advantage of all what you can do there.

You are not far from Glasgow in case you run out of supplies, perhaps a 15 minute drive back into town including a Walmart.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tachdriver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Just returned from a Thurs-Sat stay in a ‘cottage villa with lake view’. We give it a 4 ½ rating.

There were from two to six of us there at some time. All in all, everything was just fine. Can’t say enough about how good the staff was; to a person, very friendly and helpful. We didn’t have a boat but the fishing was easy from the marina. It was even lit for night fishing. Be aware, “Ky Fish and Wildlife” may have a “representative” present; we did have our licenses checked.
We had three meals there, all buffet. Breakfast and supper were great, lunch was good. (don’t miss suppers’ pudding cake!) Being very close to Glascow, we had several meals there – plenty of restaurants to choose from.

The cabin/villa was plenty acceptable, with some stains on the couch, chairs and carpet. But, it was roomy, well stocked and clean. Maybe, some washable throw covers for the upholstered furniture. The exteriors did need painting for improved curb appeal. The public area of the lodge was clean and neat.
Some of the complaints on this site we found to be true, but they were of minimal importance to us:
A) lack of WIFI: should be an easy improvement to make
B) not a view of the lake: Trees can’t be cut or trimmed but we shouldn’t have been charge extra for this nonexistent villa perk.
C) TV, poor picture quality: watchable, but shouldn’t cable be better than that?
D) The beach was STILL closed…

Being Kentuckians, we know of the cutbacks in funding for the State Parks system (along with many other departments). There is a freeze on full time hiring at Barren. The pleasant woman manning the desk when we checked in was a volunteer. Under these circumstances we believe this facility and its people are doing a very commendable job.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the "lake view" upgrade
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Marty C
Lisa D, General Manager at Barren River Lake State Resort Park, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for being our guests and taking the time to share your thoughts. We are glad to hear you had a good time! Rain, rain and more rain caused our lake level (once again) to be too high to open the beach. Hope you caught some fish; the lake is known for good fishing. The staff and I welcome you back for more memory-making any time.
Kentucky
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My family has been going on this family trip for a few years now, usually it is a great time, but we had a few issues this time. We had troubles asking for the cottage we wanted this year, and the service at the front desk was terrible. My sister had to go up twice to ask and explain what we wanted. The people at the front desk were not very nice or helpful at first, however, we were able to get the cabin we wanted the 2nd time around. Due to what I assume are state or Federal cuts, the park is not as good as usual either. The beach on the lake has been closed the past few years, I assume they do not have the funds to keep it open. This is not their fault, but is a waste of great space on the lake. The marina ran out of gas one day also, and you had to wait for the tanker to come later that day, not their fault, but an issue. The golf course was in great shape however, i will give that to them. The lake was beatiful as always. Also the have a kids club during the week where they due activities for the kids at the park. This has been cut to only 2 days a week instead of 6. Again I am sure due to state cuts, but is a negative also. Our family may or may not go back next year, however I hope the park can get back to above normal standards. It is a great lake and fun for the family when everything is running smooth.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jaymalo
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I apologize for the service you received at our front desk and have addressed this with the staff. I am certainly grateful that you have prior memories of past stays in order to know this is not our standard.

Our beach has been closed four years in a row- three years (including this year) due to high lake levels and one year because there was not enough water (drought). It is regrettable this uncontrollable factor, makes our beach being open or not unpredictable. I also want to touch base regarding the recreational programming schedule. We currently offer four days of programming per week. This is new and was changed due to very low attendance on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. We felt this to be the fiscally responsible choice.

It would be our pleasure and I ask for another opportunity to serve you and your family.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My family and I stayed here for two days in one of the lodge rooms and I'd have to say that I wasn't impressed. Let me explain in more detail.

Pro's: it is very rustic and the setting on the water real makes it feel such. You can see quite a bit of nature and wildlife. Now let me explain where this can be a problem. The quiet setting of the deep country isn't so quiet because the walls seem paper thin. The toilet has some type of compression assisted flushing action which sounds like a jet plane taking off. The AC unit which works great is about the loudest unit I've ever heard. Even the neighbors units can brake the quiet, peaceful rest you might be trying to get. There is a nice pool but it is not heated so hopefully you'll be traveling in mid June or later to allow for the sun to do it's job. There is a kiddie pool and I'll explain that in the Con's section. We rented a pontoon boat from the marina and that experience was very nice and reasonably priced so that was a nice surprise. There is a workout room that was actually very nice and I really have nothing bad to say about that at all.

The Con's: The lodge is extremely outdated but reasonably comfortable. The exterior of the buildings is pretty bad (i.e. cobwebs everywhere, peeling paint on much of the railings, bird droppings all over the walkways and stairways etc.) There was a ladder laying on the ground right outside the lobby door leading to the lodge rooms that was there for the entire time. Not very attractive nor a real good spot to store it. The kiddie pool was closed and had no water in it so I asked somebody about it and was told that it has been closed for the past 2 or 3 years for some reason. Probably funding from the state.
That brings me to the issue with the beach. It sounds great but it too was closed. I found out that it too has been closed for 3 years now due to state funding I believe.
As for the food. Personally I was really disappointed with both the dinner buffet and the breakfast buffet. The food looked as if it had been sitting there steaming away for hours and nobody even stirred it. The food off the menu was a little better and obviously a little fresher but still not very good. The service was slow but the staff is friendly.
The lodge has wifi (because you won't get data coverage here at all with 4g or 3g for that matter.) The wifi works in the lobby and the staff claims it works in limited rooms sometimes which is true but mostly it does not work and I really don't understand why that issue in not fixed because it shouldn't be that hard to update coverage. Last thing to keep in mind is that the entire area is a dry area so if you want to have any form of liquor you'd better plan ahead or you'll be driving 25 min. to Glasgow to Colton's steakhouse to have a drink with dinner. Bowling Green is the closest area for a liquor store I think.

So, I hope this helps those who are on the fence. The place has potential but you really have to love the rustic life where food and amenities aren't very important.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank GJSinIL
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Very quiet and pleasant area, close enough to walk to lake shore. Room was outdated but clean. Balcony was nice, beautiful view of lake. We left early one morning and did not return until later in the evening to find our hotel room door ajar. It was not locked and obviously open. We called the desk to complain and they apologize and ask if anything had been stolen. We did not have anything stolen, but found it upsetting that our room door was left ajar enough that anyone passing by could tell it was unlocked. We did have breakfast and dinner in the restaurant at the lodge and both were very good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sandie T
Kevil, Kentucky
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I am spending night 3 of a 4-night trip to Barren River State Resort Park for a conference. I have a temporary medical problem limiting my walking, so I am in a handicapped-accessible room, but I can't advise on the facilities for those needing a wheelchair.

General impression: Bedroom and bathroom are spacious, although they look a bit outdated. Walls are thin, so you hear noises from the rooms beside you from time to time. Love the little balcony with iron patio furniture, but the trees nearly completely block the view of the lake. Convention center is adequate for our business needs, and lodge rooms are in easy walking distance from convention center/lobby/restaurant. Have eaten lunch and dinner buffets most of the week with results ranging from OK to good. Plenty of meal variety offered on the buffet, and diners may also order off the menu. Pool was filled this week in anticipation of opening for the Memorial Day weekend, but it's not ready yet. It is a large outdoor, unheated pool.

The pros: Clean. Peaceful surroundings, some wildlife spotting, beautiful view of the lake from the surrounding patio/deck at the breezeway between lodge buildings. Free wifi in the lodge (I understand NOT in the cabins, however.) Plenty of space to stretch out. Comfortable beds. Good water pressure with plenty of hot water. In-room coffee and hairdryer available. Digital thermostat that is very responsive in every room to make sure your temperaure needs are met exactly. Not really enough plug-ends to meet electronic needs of many travelers. What few there are are located awkwardly, mainly behind furniture that must be moved to access them.

The cons: Only basic cable, and it's an older style (not flat-screen) TV. Extremely old-style telephone that looks like it has been here since the 1980s. Although the bathroom appears recently renovated, the bedroom has some darker paneling and older looking carpet squares. Flushing the toilet it sounds like a jet taking flight. Air conditioner is also unusually loud, and walls are thin.

Conclusion: Fine if you don't mind more rustic surroundings. Makes a peaceful getaway. If you're looking for more action or creature comforts and luxuries, this is probably not the right spot for you.

Room Tip: You might prefer to ask for a room on the end so you don't have rooms on both sides of you since...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Bowling Green, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2013

The dining room has a great view but today that was about all that was great.
Buffet looked like if was left from yesterday and notheing added.
Asspargaus shoud be adente not mashed, the salad bar was not fresh and seemed
to most of the girls a l0t of things are missing.
The stat really need to imporve the dining and especially change the menus to
reflect each resort or hotel.
Really now, does it have to be this bad.
D. Hayes

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blakey H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucas
Sleep Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 4 in Glasgow
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Mammoth Cave

Been to Barren River Lake State Resort Park? Share your experiences!