“GREAT LITTLE GET AWAY”

Barren River Lake State Resort Park
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and some friends went up this last weekend to get away! we found the rooms to be clean but a little out dated. WIFI was not the best either. We had a room with balcony over looking the lake that was AMAZING! Beach was closed so we had to travel to another location on the lake to enjoy it. Pool was nice but was a little crowded! Buffet was expensive and not that great but the breakfast buffet was AWSOME and cheap!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tanya Y
Lisa D, General Manager at Barren River Lake State Resort Park, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for being our guest! I love our views too (especially at sunset). I apologize that we did not meet all your expectations. It is my hope you will come back for another visit and the great memories that await. Let me know if I how I may be of assistance.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We usually rent a house when going to the area to visit family, but this was an unexpected trip due to a family death, and the lodge and villas were all that were available. I can honestly say that the poor reviews were a deterrent, but I wish I had stayed there before to form my own opinion. The room at the lodge, as well as the villa that we rented, were exceptionally large, very clean and comfortable. I don't think I've ever had such a great room with a view for such a low price, and the villa was just outstanding. The food in the restaurant was also great - tasty and fresh, and the servers were very nice. By far, the best part of the stay was the staff - they were just wonderful and I can't say enough about them. We had driven all night, 14 hours, before arriving, and were exhausted. When I made the reservation, the woman that I spoke to said she would pass on that we would like to check in early after our drive, and she was as good as her word. Whitney was already aware when we arrived, and was so kind and helpful. He let us check into our room mid-morning to get a few hours sleep, then did the same for my family who arrived the next day. Whitney helped us on several occasions, as did LeAnn, and they were really exceptionally kind and considerate. Tammy was also very kind and helpful when we needed an extra blanket, and to check out early. Despite the weekend being so busy with the Highland Games, they made sure that they took care of everything that we needed, With so many things going on with the family, they at least made our accommodations worry free and easy, and it was very, very much appreciated. I have stayed in many, many places, but this will always stand out as one of the best ever.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor require two flights of steps, so for those not used to or unable to manage...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank gardengirl33909
Lisa D, General Manager at Barren River Lake State Resort Park, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

The staff and I offer our condolences for your loss. Your comments touched us and we are very glad we were here in your time of need. I have spoken to Whitney and Leanne and told them of your thoughts. It means a lot to know what you do makes a difference and I appreciate you affording me the opportunity to thank these young staff members.

We hope to see you again in better circumstances. If we can ever assist you, please let us know.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed in the famous cabin 507 which IS down a flight of stairs from the parking area. Others are not. The lake view is restricted by the woods behind the cabin. Don't expect much view from the back deck. It is not there, so we don't sit out there even though there are metal chairs out there. The front deck is also there, but it has a view of an embankment. The cabin was clean and we had no complaints. The A/C worked well and the towel exchange worked every day.

Room Tip: Cabin 507 has STEPS to get down to it, but none inside.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank HappyCamper409

Thank you for staying with us-we appreciate it! The cabin you had is in a more wooded area. The next time you visit, may I recommend our villas. Many of the villas will have a view of the lake. The cabin you were in does have the advantage of being closer to the pool, marina and lodge. If you would like more information, please feel free to call.

We look forward to having you back for your third visit!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife was going through a rough time with work and an ill family member and with Barren being less than two hours from home, I took her for a getaway out of town.

Arriving was an experience. Location typed into GPS did not match where GPS sent me. I had to stop and ask for directions twice. Would have been nice if directions had been on the web site at the time, because it seemed the address was for the park itself and not the lodge in particular (HUGE difference).

Room keys has to be fixed twice because when you swiped, they wouldn't open. Staff was nice to have someone come to room and fix it instead of making us walk all the way back down to the office (which has happened to me at some places).

We got the meal package and the restaurant was great. So was the view.

Room balcony had a nice view of the lake, although when you walk, you're not as close as you thought. Had to go down a pretty big hill to get to the water (and then walk back up that pretty big hill).

Parking was plentiful, which made unloading and packing back up easy.

Pool was packed, so we didn't use it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cksportsfan

It is nice to take a get away and not have to drive so far. Our location is a definite plus due to us being centrally located and so close to I 65 and many other attractions. I apologize for your key not working the first time and glad a staff member brought you another. One of my favorite things about our park, is the view of the lake. The balconies on our lodge room allows for viewing some beautiful sunsets over the lake.

The GPS issue is challenging due to our park being approximately 1500 acres and many outlets such as the lodge, golf course, campground, marina and two cabin groups listed under one address. I hope it was not too troublesome to find the lodge.

Thank you for staying with us and hope you think of our park the next time you want a get-away.

Lisa

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

First of all villas are the better place to stay by far, executives are rustic primitive and just plain old, but closer to the lodge, third you cannot tell anything by their lame website you just need to go there and check it out seriously. If you call them you'll have to pry this information out of them. They are so hard to communicate with I feel on purpose so that you don't know what you're getting.

Okay, we show up at 2:30 and they say that check in time is at 4 and we can't get into our cabin early because they are still cleaning. We drove out to check out the cabins and looked in the windows. They are already all cleaned and ready to go. We went back to tell the reservation person that we noticed that the cabin was ready, could we please check in because we have perishable food in our car to stock the cabin kitchen. She just frankly told us no for with no apparent reason.

Stay tune for updates as we watch our food spoil and wait to get into our very old dated cabin!

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank AnnettieSpagjetti

Thank you for your comments. Our check-in time is 4pm, however we do allow early check-in whenever possible. The cabin you saw may have been part of a large group block (such as a family reunion) and therefore not available. The check-in time is given at the time of reservation and I apologize if you did not know this information. I trust the rest of your visit was pleasant. Please accept my invitation to come back anytime you can. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I recently hosted a fishing trip for two chronically ill children. After talking with the park manager, she gave me suggestions on the best way to handle different aspects of my trip. Both families were very pleased with the lodging, food and overall friendliness of the staff. I will definitely be using them for all my fishing trips in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Lisa D, General Manager at Barren River Lake State Resort Park, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Mark,

The trip for the children would not have been possible had it not been for your efforts. It was our honor to be a part of such a worthy experience.

Thank you for letting us be a part of the memories. Let's us know how we can help in the future.

Lisa

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed in one of the cabins for 3 nights in January. We checked in on a Friday evening. Check in was very quick & the lady at the front desk was very friendly. The park has beautiful surroundings & we saw a lot of wildlife. We stayed in one of the executive villas & it had a view of the lake. The cabin was very clean, but was dated. It was fairly large with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living area, dining area & a stocked kitchen. There was also a deck on the back ( it was too cold for us to enjoy it) and there was a picnic table & charcoal grill in front of the cabin. The hot water heater went out on the first night of our stay and it was inconvenient to not have access to a bath or shower that night or the next morning. The front desk was very apologetic & offered to move us to another cabin. However, since it was late & very cold we decided to wait for maintenance to come out the next morning. The next day we did end up moving to the cabin next door ( we were given a credit of $9.00 for the inconvenience which I thought was a joke ). It was a bit more dated & rundown than the first cabin. The cabins could be great if a bit of updating & maintenance was performed. We ate the lodge for breakfast on 2 mornings & the food was very good. They offered a buffet or you could order from the menu. Overall a good stay.

Room Tip: Cabin 507 has a lot of steps from the parking area to the cabin. Also, when we were there it had a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anita S
Lisa D, General Manager at Barren River Lake State Resort Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. January is a great time to visit for peace, quiet and wildlife viewing. I apologize for the inconvience of the hot water heater breaking down and that you needed to change cabins. We would wish for no surprises but must admit unfortunately things will break down.

Regarding the discount on your cabin, it reflects a percentage and if you feel this amount is not fair, I welcome the opportunity to speak with you to gain your satisfaction.

We hope you will come back for another visit. Wishing you a wonderful spring!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucas
11 mi away
Grand Victorian Inn
Grand Victorian Inn
#1 of 1 in Park City
The Narrow Way Bed and Breakfast

Been to Barren River Lake State Resort Park? Share your experiences!