“Worth Finding”

Blackburn House
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 May 2013

A little off the beaten track when you find it you might be excused for thinking you got the wrong place. You couldn't be more wrong. As you arrive you will be cordially greeted by a guy called Fernando who's actually Italian and possibly related to Frankie Dettori but he is the nicest restaurant manager you could wish to meet. I'm not always a Carvery fan but having tested this one, I immediately sent my daughter a text and told her it was one of, if not THE best I had ever experienced and I'm in my sixties so I've tried a few believe me. It certainly is on my places to visit again list and I could easily be tempted to try a little a la carte next time because everything being served looked wonderful. Give yourself a treat if you are in the area - You definitely will not be dissapointed

There are newer reviews for Blackburn House

Reviewed 24 May 2013

After visiting blackburn house a few times for what can only be disribed as the best sunday lunch around, we visited to try the evening menu.
we were spoilt for choice, i had the trio of pork it was presented like a piece of art and the flavour is out of this world, this was the same for the rest of our tables meals as for fernando he's great.
looking forward to our next visit

Reviewed 23 May 2013

After reading so many glowing reviews, what a disappointment Blackburn House proved to be. As a group of colleagues working very close by we were keen to try out the venue for lunch. We were impressed by the room and surprised to be the only ones in there. The waitress took our orders but was a little too keen to make money and less keen to listen to what we wanted. I opted for the fish and chips. Considering we were the only customers we did wait around 40 minutes for the food to arrive.Although the meal looked impressive on the plate it failed to deliver. Very little fish, undercooked soggy batter that was far too thick. The chips were lovely however. At no point did the waitress check we were satisfied even when she collected my plate which was still full of the inedible fish and batter. When we had finished the meal and after my colleagues had desserts which looked very nice, I was encouraged to complain (this being a first for me). The waitress's response was verging on rudeness and she clearly did not want to know. My colleagues were incensed and when we got downstairs asked to speak to the owner. I left contact details and am still awaiting an apology. Expensive and poor!

2  Thank Jane L
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Had a fantastic carvery here can't fault the food was well worth the money. Glad we left room for dessert was the best we had for a long time. The surroundings were stunning also.

Jon and Sonya from Kirkby-in-Ashfield

1  Thank femalepowerz
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Visited Blackburn house for the second time on Sunday and the food was superb, again we opted for the carvery option and were not disappointed. There was a choice of three meats and every possible vegetable you could imagine, all piping hot and served in really lovely surroundings. Blackburn house is tastefully furnished, it bright and airy, the staff are extremely attentive and the whole atmosphere of the place is just so nice. There is a wide selection of wines/beers/lager at the bar and we have promised ourselves that on our next visit we will choose from the main menu as there is a wide selection of starters and mains with something for everyone. I actually only live about 10 mins from here but now I have found Blackburn house the days of slaving over a hot cooker on a Sunday are long gone, the food is excellent and I would recommend it to anyone.

Lisa C, Owner at Blackburn House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

We wouldn't want you slaving over a hot stove either. We are so pleased you enjoyed your visit and even more pleased that you took the time to mention it on Trip Advisor.

We look forward to seeing you again - Stay away from that stove !