“Wonderful food with a personal touch.”
Review of Blackburn House - CLOSED

Blackburn House
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit but certainly not our last. We had Sunday carvery and considering there was 9 of us (baby in car seat included) we were greeted at door and sat promptly.
The service was great. The young lad that was our server was very attentive. All other servers that approached us was always with a smile.
The food was fresh prepared and homemade. As owners of a restaurant and my husband a chef, we can be a tad picky but was very happy with it all.
Desserts did not disappoint either. Although they didn't have the desserts we initially ordered, the sub was again fresh made and hot.
On leaving, again, our hands were shaken and a fond farewell was given.
All in all 5 out of 5 and cannot wait to visit again.
Thank you again for the personal touches, it means a lot these days.

1  Thank EcHo75
There are newer reviews for Blackburn House

Reviewed 6 June 2013

We live a few miles from the restaurant and had heard good things so went for Sunday lunch to check it out with a party of 5.The fun started when booking, Fernando was very funny and helpful on the 'phone and you just got the feeling it was going to be good.
Very warm welcome, friendly, smart staff (more than can be said for some of the other diners!). Excellent presentation of restaurant and food. Good choice of options with help yourself vegetables. Main carvery was very good but the Lamb Shank options my father-in-law had was cooked very quickly and was a little dry. The Eton Mess desert was wonderful!
Overall, excellent!. We've already booked our next visit :)

Reviewed 27 May 2013

A little off the beaten track when you find it you might be excused for thinking you got the wrong place. You couldn't be more wrong. As you arrive you will be cordially greeted by a guy called Fernando who's actually Italian and possibly related to Frankie Dettori but he is the nicest restaurant manager you could wish to meet. I'm not always a Carvery fan but having tested this one, I immediately sent my daughter a text and told her it was one of, if not THE best I had ever experienced and I'm in my sixties so I've tried a few believe me. It certainly is on my places to visit again list and I could easily be tempted to try a little a la carte next time because everything being served looked wonderful. Give yourself a treat if you are in the area - You definitely will not be dissapointed

Reviewed 24 May 2013

After visiting blackburn house a few times for what can only be disribed as the best sunday lunch around, we visited to try the evening menu.
we were spoilt for choice, i had the trio of pork it was presented like a piece of art and the flavour is out of this world, this was the same for the rest of our tables meals as for fernando he's great.
looking forward to our next visit

Reviewed 23 May 2013

After reading so many glowing reviews, what a disappointment Blackburn House proved to be. As a group of colleagues working very close by we were keen to try out the venue for lunch. We were impressed by the room and surprised to be the only ones in there. The waitress took our orders but was a little too keen to make money and less keen to listen to what we wanted. I opted for the fish and chips. Considering we were the only customers we did wait around 40 minutes for the food to arrive.Although the meal looked impressive on the plate it failed to deliver. Very little fish, undercooked soggy batter that was far too thick. The chips were lovely however. At no point did the waitress check we were satisfied even when she collected my plate which was still full of the inedible fish and batter. When we had finished the meal and after my colleagues had desserts which looked very nice, I was encouraged to complain (this being a first for me). The waitress's response was verging on rudeness and she clearly did not want to know. My colleagues were incensed and when we got downstairs asked to speak to the owner. I left contact details and am still awaiting an apology. Expensive and poor!

2  Thank Jane L