“Avoid at all cost.”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Morehead
K. City, MO
“Avoid at all cost.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

I do not know where to start. This place is terrible. I have stayed in $29 rooms better than this room. Here are some of the problems: 1. Piece of tile base missing by the tub, exposing very sharp edge. 2. Tile is tub area patched with silacone. Just smeared on. Very unproffessional. 3. Cover on light fixture in bathroom missing. 4. Hole in one wall patched with what looked like construction adhesive. 5. Wall paper coming off wall. 6. Wall paper on entire wall discolored. 7.Chair broken. 8. Electric receptacle hanging out of wallbox. 9. Bed skirt stained. 10. Phone did not work. 11. Very poor reception on TV, Certainly not worth $89.95 plus tax. Complained to Choice Hotels customer service and was told I would receive a response within seven business days. Received no response. Stay away from this chain.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank llk999

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Winchester, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

Oh where to begin...we checked in with 4 rooms after driving 10 hours from Illinois with a 2 and 1 year old child in the car with us. They charged us $100 per room and we assumed that was fine so we unloaded and headed to the room. My little 2 year old girl is potty training and was doing great so we ran to the room and opened the door so she could use the potty....I tried to flip on the light and nothing happened...so turned to bathroom and turned that one on...I found towels on the floor and ciggerate ashes and butts all over the toilet..I gasped...I would never let my kiddo potty on that! So we ran to the lobby potty and the poor thing had to let it go...she was so sad she did not make it...this upset me to start. So we got her fixed up again and headed back to the room...opened the door and found another light to turn on (the bulbs were missing in the lamp for the main light)...the beds were made but there was a soda in the window and coffee sugar packets on the floor. My 1 year old started grabbing crumbs off the floor and trying to eat them. HOW GROSS is that? This was a $100 clean room???? I was getting irate at this point so I grabbed the kiddos and went to the front desk...I told the lady that our room was not clean and I wanted it fixed NOW...and that I wanted the sheets changed...she informed me that she was sure the sheets were clean and could be slept on....I told her that she also told me the room was clean and it was not...I then asked how long it would take to get it done....she then told me that she did not clean rooms and there was no one to do it. SO we had to change rooms...at that point I did not care...so fine we got another room on the 2nd floor....we got everything to the room assuming it would be ok...the light bulb was missing in the main light also...so we had to fumble to find another lamp...the air conditioning was off so the room was 100 and it smelled of urine and mildew. I went into the bathroom and the towels hanging up had make up on them like someone had just used them and I am not sure if they had ever been washed. I was getting madder so I went to the bed and pulled the comforter back to see if the sheets were clean...OMG there were blood stains...that was it! We packed up and went to Holiday Inn. They were $100 and clean (will leave a great review). BUT there is more to this story. We were with 3 other rooms the one room had a broken window and when my 1 year old pushed on it -it pushed outward and looked like it was going to give...after noticing that we picked him up and his bare feet were BLACK from dirt on the carpet!...2 of the rooms were missing the light bulbs in the main lamps and all smelled horrible of mildew. They decided to leave also but the lady at the desk would not give them a full refund...she said they did not have real concerns about their rooms...a window that could kill my child is not a concern? I came back from the holiday to see what was going on and demanded that she get the manager there and get us a phone # for their main office. SHE PUT HER HAD UP IN MY FACE and said you just need to wait a min. I was so pissed at that point I had to leave. They finally got the manager after about 1 hour wait and he said they could have a full refund. BUT we had to return the next morning to get it. So we went back the next morning and got the refund all but 1 cent...they could not figure out how to cancel that. It upsets me that I even had to pay 1 cent it was not worth even that. This had ruined my opinion of Quality Inns forever...they need to pull their name from this hotel immediately!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Morehead hotels

Danville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

When I found this hotel online, I thought that it would be a good deal but I was wrong! I booked it online for two nights but the guy that checked me in overcharged me (for two extra nights)! When I questioned the amount he ran my debit card for, he simply took an ink pen and scratched out the wrong amount and wrote the "correct" amount on the receipt to fix the problem. However, that's not what my bank statement showed in the morning! There were some nice girls who had absolutely nothing to do with this issue that were really friendly that worked at the desk! Our "smoke-free" room was very dusty and the sheets had very large yellow stains. There was also a smell of mildew in our room and we had to tear spider webs down from the ceiling after we walked into our room. The pool rail was broken and not attached to the concrete at all and could be very dangerous! I still have not received a refund and I have talked to the manager one time. He was very rude with me because I expected him to help me. He did not have the attitude of a manger at all. I would rather go to a nearby city to a hotel if I needed to than stay here again. Not well-managed at all! My problem is still not solved...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

Upon arrival our service as we checked in was horrible. The clerk was rude, no eye contact and acted flustered(which I later began to realize why). When we got into our room I noticed there were no towels in the bathroom so I proceeded to the front desk to ask for some clean towels, which, inturn I was told, "we don't have any". Not only did they say they were washing them,but when I was never delivered towels I went to the front desk again and was told they had no towels. They were able to find two wash cloths which myself and my two daughters had to use for showers. There was also mold in the bathroom all along the ceiling walls. So, let's move on...my daughters were swimming and there were no lights and when they asked for the lights to be turned on the clerk said she had to call the maintenance man to come to the hotel because she didn't have a key to turn them on! Let's fast forward....that evening, the my daughter and niece were playing cards in the small lobby and the clerk was using curse words in his conversation as he talked. Then he let his girlfriend swim after hours and he kept leaving the desk and told my daughter that if customers came to tell them he was in the pool area!!! My daughter said a man came and was ringing the bell and just left!!! My sister was charged for a room that she never stayed in (disputing charges now). The service was awful, I felt bad for the one girl because she was so flustered and I could see why, the management leaves them alone with no help! Another clerk who made us coffee was sweet and the new girl who just got hired. This is a horrendous place to stay and definitely not worth what we paid for it! I, as well as my extended family that stayed will never stay in a Quality Inn anywhere. Horrible horrible horrible and the manager Will will do nothing for you. Very poor, poor quality and service. You should only stay here under complete emergency. Look for reviews from other family who stayed! I hope this helps. There is a Hampton down the road that I would check out first.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

Iam not even sure where to begin. The reason why I chose Quality Inn was because I have had pleasant experiences at them and we all had a family renunion in Morehead. I am limited with the amount I could write so I will try to sum this up by saying that if you need a place to stay in Morehead Kentucky, DO NOT STAY HERE, even if there is no where else to go, your car would be a better choice! The Hotel is very run down and is mismanaged by the infamous Will Robinson. Upon my arrival Friday evening, July 9th, 2010 after traveling more than 9 hours I went to check into the hotel late evening that I made reservations for more than a week prior. I was greeted by a young man who seemed nice enough. As he began to check me into the room he looked puzzled. After 30 minutes or so (it could have been longer) he informed me that my reservations were messed up and that the person taking them made a mistake explaining he was confused and that his Grandmother passed away today so to forgive him for being so dazed. After trying to figure out this mess I checked in for two nights with my family and was able to get that taken care of or so I thought. He reserved another room for my sister again since the reservation was wrong for the next evening. I thought all was good. As we entered the room we were all disappointed. The room smelled, the window looked like someone shot a bullet through the window (with the whole window cracked even on the inside, so dangerous for anyone to cut themselves). The bathroom was old, sink cracked and there was no towels. (as you can see I mentioned that we just checked in, at this point it is about 1:30am) Since we were all exhausted we went to sleep. When we woke up early Sat we went to the breakfast area that was well out of food and coffee by 8am. So we left and went to McDonalds for breakfast even though the breakfast is supposed to beincluded in the stay. When I came back from breakfast I inquired about my sisters room for that evening just to make sure everything was fine. At this point I found out that the room that the man the night before reserved was not done again. So I went through the process again as the lady was able to get her a room for that evening. She then informed me that I was checked out of room 108 and wanted to clarify if I needed that for another evening too. I said what Iam in room 110 not 108. She said Iam sorry but it says you have two rooms. So I physically had her walk over to room 108 and open the door. As she did she said this room was never slept in. I said obviously so remove those charges. Well she could not and said that her manager Will Robinson checked me out and that if I did not need that room should have told them so they could have given this to someone else. I clearly explained to her that I never said I wanted that room and is that not what reservations are for. She said she would have her manager call me. So we then went to the pool that had no towels (and neither did our room they were still washing them from earlier) the pool railing was loose and anyone getting in would hurt themselves if they used that as a support. We then went to the room and were able to get towels at this point it is 3:30pm. We all shpwered and left to attend our gathering. When I came back to the hotel I decided to play cards with my daughter and niece in the lounge area bu the front desk. We were approached by the young man that works there (same one as Friday night) asking if we were smoking crack. I then explained that he was inapproriate and he apologized. He then left the front desk area to meet a young lady in the pool area (after it was closed) then taking her up in the elevator with another young man who walked in. He was gone for more than 30 minutes from the front desk as we were playing cards and a trucker came in to get a room and had to leave since no one ever came when he rang the service bell). My daughter also informed me that he said if anyone should come tell them I will be back. My daughter being a teenager tried to find him when the front desk phone was ringing and she told me that she found him with a girl in a compromising state. After all of this I made my daughter and niece go to bed. It is suprising what happens after midnight at that hotel and it makes me wonder why would would trust our safety here. Now it is Sunday morning, again no towels not just for us but for the whole hotel. They have to wait for people to check out so they can wash there towels. Have you ever heard of such a thing. Breakfast this morning was not filled and we all waited for along time for a cup of coffee. Elizabeth had her hands full and was more than helpful. They had her working by herself with a booked hotel. It is time to check out out and now Iam being told that there are three authorized charges to my credit card account and they cannot explain why. So as we speak Iam disputing credit card charges and have been spending more time on this than anyone should have too. I never did get a call from Will Robinson or a visit as requested from him and my charges were never corrected as I was charged for a night stay that I never signed for by the manager Will. This was a miserable place to stay so run down, service horrible, and being approached by a worker of the establishment inappropriately this was the worst experience, but if you choose to stay here despite my review, plan on packing your own towels. The rest is up to you as you have been warned. The owner of this franchise has not done anything in years to keep this up and the manager seems to be at parties instead of work and no one can ever reach him.(read the last review as she said the same thing)

I would have to say that I never have written a bad review but I really felt that it was important for people to know this and warn anyone before they spend money somewhere that they think is nice. STAY FAR AWAY, THE HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LOOKED NICE DOWN THE ROAD. I would have normally looked at reviews but my Dad was staying here and we all wanted to be together and like I said all the other stays have been nice in different Quality Inns. Iam not sure how this place can be still owned by the same person and managed by someone like this. I cannot believe they have not been shut down by corporate or the health inspectors.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Disappointedinchgo
lynchburg,va
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

My first impression of the hotel was ok, until I noticed 8 cracked windows... Our room happened to be one of them.
In a non smoking room one of the two beds had cigarettes burns. The other bed had large stains.
When my husband and I went to take showers, I noticed the sink counter was broken and had been poorly repaired. The shower got slightly above room temperature; and the tub wouldn't drain.
Lastly with our room being right next to the lobby we could hear several guests as long with the desk clerk talking rather loudly. Tough the beds were comfortable, we hardly slept as well as our son...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank geyedangel3
Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer with liver mets on Mothers Day Wekend of this year and was also given the news this week that he had a tumor in his brain. He is currently taking chemo which makes him very sick. We discovered that getting into a pool helps to take away the nausea, so now that cold weather has set in and he can't use our pool at home, we decided to go to a hotel that had an indoor pool and a jaquazzi or hot tub available in the room. I made calls to every hotel in Morehead ,which is the closest city to our home, and the first question I asked was "Do you have an indoor pool?" Then I would inquire about the hot tubs. After talking to all of hte hotels in Morehead we decided that Quality Inn was the best bet, they had a pool and a Jaquzzi for $108 (price included taxes). We arrived at 3 pm, we found that the Jaquzzi was actually A whirlpool bath tub and rooms had not been furnished with towels yet other than that the room was pretty clean and suitable. We went straight to the pool only to find that it was too cold to get in. When we went to the front desk to inquire about it we were told that the maintainance man had came in and turned it up and it should be heated in 2 hours. So we went back to our room so he could try out the so-called Jaquzzi until the pool got warm. Approx. 2 hours later we went to check the pool again, only to find it was still cold and there were people there making their kids get out because their teeth were chattering. So we went back to the desk and my husband ask again, and we were told the same thing. My husband told the clerk that he would like to have half of his money refunded (offering to pay for the time we spent in the room and the use of the big tub) and we would go elsewhere. We were told that she would have to call her manager (Will Robinson) because she could not give refunds without his OK. She called 2 different cell phone numbers and couldn't reach him. We waited in the lobby for approx. 30 minutes without a return call from him and spoke to the maintainance man who was so eager to solve the problem he blamed it on health department and anything else he could think of (HA). So we went back to the room and waited for the clerk to call us and let us know what he said when he called her back. After another hour and a half my husband was asleep and she had not called us, so I called her, she said he had not returned her call but one of the girls that worked there told her that if he wasn't able to use the pool by 11pm that they would refund $20 of our money. I hung up the phone and went down to the desk, I asked her how she would reach the manager if the hotel was on fire, she said she didn't know (very dumb founded), I said I thought it was very bad management (along with a personal message about treating people this way.) I went back upstairs, my husband and I went once more and checked the pool, only to find the same results as before, went back to the room, gathered our belongings and left at 7:30pm. Our experience was horrible, we did not get what we were told was available to us, and the attempt to try and make it right was very weak. The rating for this hotel is 6 out 8 in Morehead, I know all of them and I really don't know how it got that high. I would recommend the Motor Lodge Inn before this Quality Inn.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neveragainqualityinn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morehead
BEST WESTERN Eagles Inn
#5 of 7 in Morehead
Carter Caves State Resort
Carter Caves State Resort
#1 of 1 in Olive Hill

Been to Red Roof Inn Morehead? Share your experiences!