“Didn't want to leave!”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Murray
Jackson, Mississippi
“Didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed 11 July 2010

My husband and I stayed a week in July over the July 4th holiday. We brought our 2 very large dogs. This resort is perfect if you want a relaxing and scenic vacation. Our cottage was very clean and well kept. We had a nice deck with a beautiful view of the lake.

Charcoal grills are available at each cottage and at the beach area. There is a playground for the kids and several activities like shuffleboard, volleyball, and racquetball. You can purchase gas for your boat right on the water and boat slips are available. The resort is located in a quiet cove off of the lake. Boats are available for rental at very reasonable prices. The pool is very clean and there are plenty of lounge chairs. Kayaks and canoes are available for rental as well.

The owners and staff are great! Very helpful and very welcoming. They have a cookout for all the guests usually once during the week to get acquainted with everyone. They go out of their way to make their guests feel comfortable.

The lake is beautiful and we saw bald eagles and ospreys out on the water. Look for the osprey nests! Very cool if you are into nature like I am!

This resort is around 30 minutes away from the town of Murray so if you are wanting activities at night just be aware of the distance. The road to Paradise Resort are very rural and curvy. If you want to get away from everything and relax with a beautiful view of the lake and nature, this place is just perfect. I highly recommend Paradise resort and will definitely be back...hopefully very soon!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 May 2010

We went a little early in the season, and not long after the flooding in the area. Everyone was very welcoming, and super friendly. "Pet friendly" resort, we brought our dog, and there were a few other guests that had their dogs along too. The views from our condo were AMAZING. Although we aren't fishermen, the reviews for the fishing from the other guests were very good too. There is a private marina, and slips for your boat if you want to take it, otherwise, you can rent one at the resort. The resort is very far from town (but they tell you that when you call), so bring food and beverages. The condo had all of the necessary kitchen supplies. Access to LBL was easy, we spent some of everyday at LBL (flooding affected the park too), then we cooked out and enjoyed the water views at the resort. There was a lot of wildlife, turtles galore, we even saw a Bald Eagle one morning over coffee on the deck. Beds were comfy, condo was clean, everything worked (water, electric, etc.) Our only issue was internet access in the condo building, I was never able to get on successfully (I knew before we left this was an issue, Traci told me that when I called). We looked at other resorts in the area while we were there, and I was not disappointed with our choice, some of the others did not look as nice.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mbraun6637
Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We just returned from an amazing trip. Our group was our family with two children (5 and 6), my brother's family with two children (16 months and almost 4), my parents and my brother's mother in law. The resort was a little hard to get around for the grandparents. The hills are a little steep, but Grammie felt like she got a jump start on dieting from all the exercise! :-)

The management is spectacular. Traci was a wealth of information and personalized everything. Their flexibility made the stay even more relaxing than our average vacation. The place is very well taken care of, you can tell that they are invested in the care of the cabins and condos.

The lake was great for swimming. We enjoyed the beach and also rented a pontoon and a power boat. I might consider a weekly rental from in town so that I could have it any time I want it. Our kids loved the playground, the beach, the pool, and the freedom to walk around barefoot in a really safe environment.

We had fantastic family pictures taken by someone that was willing to come to the resort and was also incredibly flexible. (Rockhouse Creek Photography)

My mom and I headed in to town one day and really enjoyed shopping at cute stores like Penique's on the old town square.

My sister in law and her mom headed in to the Essential Day Spa in Murray for a day together and they managed to get her VERY reluctant mom to relax and really enjoy herself.

All in all it was an amazing trip!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank SSStruessel
Kentucky
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Owners have to be very ambitious to name their facilties "Paradise Resort" when it is neither a resort nor paradise. My idea of paradise includes umbrella drinks by the pool, a restaurant with room service, luxurious bedding and large fluffy towels and nice toiletries in the bath. This collection of very rustic cottages and a 6-unit apt bldg would be better called "Fish Camp". They do not have a restaurant or a marina. If you think you'll need it - you had better pack it. There is a boat ramp suited to 16-18 ft bass boats, live bait, and the accommodations previously described. Guests are instructed to bring their own towels and soap. Small children will enjoy the playground and pool. Teenagers will be bored unless they bring their own boat. The staff is very friendly but the office closes around 7pm and you're on your own. If you need anything, your only option is a 30-minute drive back to Murray. So while this might be a fisherman's paradise, its hardly paradise for an over-worked mom.

• Liked — The view of the lake
  • Disliked — lack of amenities
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank lexky1031
Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 9 July 2008

We stayed at Paradise Resort July 2-July 6 over the 4th of July holiday. Check in was a breeze. Actually got into the condo unit we rented an hour prior to the posted check in time right when we arrived.
Rented a 2 bedroom condo unit. It had adequate room for 2 adults and 5 kids (ages ranging from 8 to 19). 1 bedroom had a kingbed, the other had 2 queen beds and there was a sleeper sofa. Only had one bath. It was large and with a Jacuzzi tub. A second bath would have been a benefit with the number of people we had, but what we had was adequate. The unit was clean, modern, well appointed, and well maintained. Plenty of cabinet and closet storage space. Unit had central air/heat , Cable TV, Full size stove, refrigerator/freezer, microwave, and a dishwasher (don't want to do dishes on vacation). Linens can be provided but there is no maid service. There is a small laudromat area in the center of the resort that we used to launder beach towels, bath towels etc. The laundry facility was very clean and well kept. Washers were free and it cost $1.00 per load to dry. The condo's sit right on the lake front. Fantastic view of the Lake off the very large deck.

Other amenities we checked out and used were the pool (kinda small but clean and well appointed with pool furniture), a basketball court, sand volleyball court, tetherball pole,and beach ( fun for younger kids), large fountain, family rec room, bbq pits, bon fire pits, and commercial bagged ice available at very fair pricing.

We brought our skiboat/runabout and rented a coverd dock slip at $10/night during our stay. Slips are approx. 22ft. or so long. The docks are modern and well kept, have electric plug ins at each slip, and water for flushing on the dock, and adequate bumpering. There is a very nice fish cleaning station on the end of the dock. There were trash cans on the dock that made it easy to clean up the boat after a day on the water. There is a concrete boat launch right next to the docks that is very easily accessed and makes it very easy to launch your boat. There is a gas pump on the dock where gas can be purchased. It was priced competitively with the larger marinas in the area. There was also adequate secure boat trailer parking on premises.

Traci, her husband and staff were all very kind, friendly and helpful. They can be seen active all over the resort from dawn to dusk, and were always available to answer any questions, inform us of fun places on the lake to travel by boat,. they even took a group of guests out on their large pontoon rental boat to watch fireworks over the water. Traci and her husband encouraged us and another family that had our own boats to follow them along to the fireworks display , tie up with them , and guided us back to the resort after the fireworks show after dark. We have done the fireworks shows over the water at Lake of the Ozarks,MO many times and this display compared well with those.

This is a very large lake (there is barge traffice) and the boat traffic is very minimal. We boat Lake of the Ozarks,MO alot (very crowded) and Table Rock,/Branson MO and this lake was a real nice different alternative.

This resort is very secluded and private. (It's a 30 min. drive back into Murray,KY) There are many amenities at the resort to keep the family entertained. If you want a lot of attractions,shopping,amusement parks, dining out, nightlife (this is a dry county) etc. this is not the place. If you want to do alot of boating or fishing and want a scenic, quiet , well kept, family get away ,off the beaten path this is a great place. You won't be disappointed

• Liked — Wonderful Lakefront Location
  • Disliked — Distance from shopping, etc.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank norsemenboater
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2008

America's Paradise Resort felt like home away from home.

Why? Because the Markum's are so warm and welcoming. I have been to a lot of places and their customer service and attention to details was top rated.

The cottages and condos were very clean and appeared as described. The pics do not give this resort justice. The water views are gorgeous. And the waterfront units are truly WATERFRONT.

My family rented the double decker pontoon boat with the water slide and had a blast. The boat was clean and the rental process and price was reasonable. We also had some fun and success fishing from the banks.

The resort's location was close to everything but still tucked away enough where you did not feel intimidated by the big fast boats and the party crowds.

My family rented the 4 bedroom cottage and it perfectly met our needs. The kitchen was huge and the table in the living room was great for games. The fireplace was a nice touch and the waterviews from the side bedroom was beautiful. The unit even stayed cool without the air conditioner.

The swimming pool was right next door and the kids had a blast. The "beach" and play areas were also easily accessible and clean. My family enjoyed smores at the firepit while my sisters wore themselves out playing tetterball. (sp?)

It was my birthday weekend and Traci recommended Dumplins as a place for me to order my cake. It was one of the best cakes-birthday or wedding- that I had ever tatsed. I only wished there was cake left to bring home.

The Markums were even generous enough to provide my family with a bag of fish from their freezer because they knew my family did not catch enough fish for our planned fish fry. (Our last trip we had to go and buy ALL of the fish.) But the Markums customer service went above and beyond yet again.

I guess I could go on and on about how great the Markums and America's Paradise Resort is. In my opinion, a vacation is more than carpet and bedspreads, it is the experience.

I am sure that Murray and Kentucky Lake has accomodations with newer carpet and prettier bedspreads, but I am positive that none will provide both great accomodations and the excellent hospitality and assurance that you are well taken care of as America's Paradise Resort.

This place makes you feel welcome like home but you rest and play like you are on vacation.

If you have any questions, please give them a call. You won't regret it. After I spoke with Traci, I knew my search for a Kentucky Lake vacation property was over.

• Liked — The staff, waterviews, fishing, boat rentals, and great location
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank jello_2001
Godfrey, Illinois
Reviewed 22 August 2006

A group of 13 of us visited America's Paradise Resort in July 2006. We rented the largest unit, number one,which at one time had been the office. It has three bedrooms, a huge living room and kitchen, two baths and overlooked the playground and lake. The pool was about 10 steps away from our door, which was great.

America's Paradise Resort is a low-key, casual, family- and fishing-oriented place. It's a little on the rustic side, nothing really fancy, but very comfortable.

The managers were very friendly and helpful. They asked us again and again if we needed anything.

There's a a small marina, and boats available for rent. We rented a large pontoon boat with a slide off the back for one day. The kids (ages 4 - 16) loved it! We found a quiet cove, anchored, and had a great swimming and sliding experience.

Unfortunately, the fishing wasn't very good while we were there. We caught one large bass and one large catfish, but mainly we were fishing from the shore. Those out on the boats did better. The weather had been very hot the week prior (in the 100s) and was in the upper 90s while we were there, which may be why fishing wasn't at it's best. Talking with regular visitors, it seems that spring is the best time to bring home coolers of fish.

However, my son caught lots of small turtles while there with a net, and took some home to live in an aquarium. He loved that.

The property layout is really nice. We could let the kids run all they wanted, between the lake and play area while watching them from our front patio.

The resort not located on the main part of the lake, but rather on a cove. You can see the main lake, which isn't far at all, and the Land Between The Lakes is off in the distance, across the lake.

It seems like it takes forever, on twisty, curvey rural roads, to reach the resort from Murray (and I don't know if I'd want to drive that after sundown) but once there, it's worth it. Take what you need, because it's at least a 30 minute drive to Super WalMart or other stores, and you won't want to make the trip back and forth very often.

The only thing I wish would have been different is that it was closer to a grocery store and/or a main road.

Almost everyone said that they'd like to go back again in the future.

7 Thank kerrilyn22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murray
Kenlake State & Resort Park
#1 of 2 in Aurora
Hampton Inn & Suites Murray
Best Western University Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Murray

Been to America's Paradise Resort? Share your experiences!