“Walls were literally crumbling down”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Murray
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Murray
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Walls were literally crumbling down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2010

This holiday inn express is just like any Holiday Inn Express (internet, breakfast, etc), however, in the hallways, the walls were FALLING down. The wall paper was tacked on with pushpins, and the water damage underneath could be seen as the wall paper kept falling down. Where there is water damage, there is mold, and all the problems associated with that.

Other wise, good staff, breakfast, good location, and not too pricey.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveling_Cub

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2009

I had to go to Murray because my niece's house was destroyed in a fire there. I took her 4 children to this hotel because it had an indoor pool and the staff was extraordinary. Very friendly, very concerned - rooms were excellent, pool was nice and cosy. Very good customer service, especially from a young night manager named Jesse. I will definitely stay at this hotel when I return.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

I am a graduate student in the low-residency MFA program at Murray State and have to spend 10 days in Murray at the beginning of every semester. On two previous occasions, I stayed at a hotel across the street from the Holiday Inn and was not happy either time. I decided to pay a little more and stay at HI, and am I glad I did!

First of all, the room was comfortable, clean and BRIGHT. I cannot stand hotels that do not have enough lighting in them, and this one was among the best. The bed (I had a king.) was very comfortable, and there were a number of pillows of varying support (soft, medium, hard) on the bed. The flat-screen TV was a nice addition, and I really liked the desk area (especially since I used it to do homework).

I didn't eat breakfast, but everything looked good. I liked the fact that the hotel offered hot coffee and tea 24 hours and that they offered hot cookies (which I don't eat) some afternoons.

There is a business center with two computers, printer, fax and copy machine. . . .all free to guests. There is also high-speed internet in the rooms (wireless or ethernet).

I noticed that one other review mentioned that there were times when the desk clerk disappeared. I did see that, too, but he was never gone more than a few minutes. All of the desk clerks were polite and accommodating, so I had no complaints there.

I had one minor problem with the heat in the room, and they took care of it immediately and offered to move me if I wasn't satisfied.

I also want to point out that I was there for 10 days. One of the two weekends, the hotel was sold out and filled with kids who were in town for a swim meet. The kids were pretty loud, but I never heard them unless I went out of the room and/or into the lobby. I felt sorry for the clerk who had to listen to their antics all weekend. : -)

I have to be in Murray in July for the summer residency, and I have already made return reservations.

• Liked — Safe, clean, comfortable accomodations
  • Disliked — They don't allow pets.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Moonette
lexington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

The hotel is very inviting and well appointed rooms. The only issue I had for this stay.........was the desk clerk. He was never there. Upon check in I stood at the counter for nearly 10 minutes. I suppose his tv program was more pressing. Upon checking in I was leaving and needed information about a highway. SO I waited another 10 minutes with no clerk in sight. I gave up and went across the street and got my information. I called down to the desk to get a wake up call and guess what! No answer. I'm assuming this is an automated hotel. LOL
Hopfully one day management will have the witts about them and pay a professional clerk instead of hiring a teenager for minimum wage to oversee his operation. Just plain TACKY and sad. I probably won't stay here again. There is a Hampton Inn in town and I've never experienced problems with them. Happy travels.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer Service/Front Desk
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2008

Have stayed here in the past but not the last 18 months or so. Given an upgrade to a "deluxe" room which featured a seperate "living room" area. New large flat screen TV's with tons of channels. Lots of good lighting. Furniture in room while clean seemed very "institutional" Very comfortable bed. Although I did not eat, the breakfast looked like it had a few more "hot'" offerings than typical HIE. Overall a very nice Holiday Inn Express.

• Liked — Large flat screen TV's.
  • Disliked — Complexity of clock radio
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Kubzfan
La Crosse Wi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2007

If you plan a visit to Murray KY soon, please look seriously at staying at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites. My husband and I traveled to KY and decided to look over the area as a possible relocation upon retiring. The hotel was clean (very), the hotel personnel were pleasant and friendly and very personable. We had reserved a suite, and we found the accomodation wonderful, and we had wonderful nights of sleep and relaxation with very minimum noise if any. We used this as our base, and after being busy and rather tired at the end of a long day, this suite was such a relaxing and comfortable home away from home. I feel their prices were reasonable, and their breakfast was a deluxe with cheese omelets each of the days we were there. We would both highly recommend staying at this very nice establishment for any reason. I do not think you will be disappointed.

• Liked — I liked the location - close to university and restaurants and close to TN. The hotel made you feel like you were not a bother, and treated northerns with open arms.
  • Disliked — A little difficult turning into and getting out on the major highway. I think it would be even more difficult when Murray College is in business.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LaCrosseWIJosie
Indian Mound Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2006

Our short weekend get away was enhanced even more so by our stay at Murray Kentucky Holiday Inn Express Hotel. Everything was excellent from registration to check out. The room was extreemely clean, breakfast was great, and the attendant was friendly. Being a couple that traveles at least 12-15 times a year and staying in a lot of different hotels, this one excells by far, almost like home. We will be staying with this hotel again! Thank You...

• Liked — Rooms and hotel were very clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Read hotel reviews before you go
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Everbusymom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murray
Hampton Inn & Suites Murray
Quality Inn Paris/Ky Lake Area
Early American Motel
Early American Motel
#1 of 2 in Aurora

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Murray? Share your experiences!