“Sehr Gut”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We like Deutsch food and had to stop in while visiting Cinci area. Parker waited on us for lunch and broke down the food items and beer. He was very helpful and knowledgeable.
We had to have a pretzel, of course, then shared the dinner for 2 sampler. Chops were not some were pleasingly thick and very good. We really liked the German potato salad. The beers were very good. The 3 brat items were good. We liked the atmosphere of the haus. We will return when in the area. I would love it even more if they served their own Bavarian or German mustard.

1  Thank AWLfan
There are newer reviews for Hofbrauhaus Newport

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I've never been to Germany, so I can't vouch for the authenticity of the food, but I found it to be very good and a departure from the normal cuisine American food scene. The beer was also good and it feels authentically European to be able to order by the liter.

As someone with Germany heritage, I particularly enjoy the decor of the restaurant as it has many odes to a German beirhall. I also purchased a t-shirt from their gift shop and strangers have complimented me each time I've worn it around town since then.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Chelsea G took the time to answer my many questions and helped me make my meal decisions because there was so much to choose. The soft pretzel and cheese is to die for. The kraut balls were interesting. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have been to the Hofbrauhaus many times but each time it seems something is different. We took 3 of our grandkids there and afterwards thought that was not the place to take them. It is not really kid friendly. They had kid menus to color but no crayons. Our waitress tried to make up for the lack of crayons by offering the use of her ballpoint pens for the kids. At least I give her credit for trying. The management should make sure their supplies are on hand. The food isn't as good as it use to be. The fried cabbage was very good that my husband had with his meal and so was the rest of his meal but the Hot Brown I had, left a lot to be desired. There was smoking in the dining room which we didn't like even though they said there was a non-smoking room. That would have been fine but when we arrived, we thought the kids would like to see the band play. If we would have known there was only going to be an accordion player, we would have chosen the non-smoking room. As someone else said it's a fun and festive place. Well, I say it use to be a fun and festive place. We know that the 2nd Tues. of the month is suppose to be family day or night but not every one can manage only that day, especially with out of town guests. As with everything else, the prices have really gone up on the food and I can understand that but the quality is slipping. We will think twice about going there again. We didn't make reservations but had no trouble getting a table.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived for dinner and were delighted to not have a wait. It was a nice evening, so we chose to sit outside. Our waitress promptly greeted us and kept us entertained throughout the evening. Our only disappointment came very early. We all wanted a large souvenir beer mug. We were told that the shipment was on order. Consequently, we ordered the smaller beers and paid $6.00 each for mugs. We opted to share two lettuce wedge salads. It was plentiful and very tasty. Our dinner selections included the Schmankerlplatte that was shared by our two men. They enjoyed a plentiful platter of meat and sauerkraut. The only problem was that they forgot to substitute the mashed potatoes for German potato salad. Another entree was the Heidelberger Rahm Spätzle. Everyone tasted this and agreed that it was delicious. The final entree was Jägerschnitzel. This was equally delicious. Don't miss this restaurant if you are in the Cincinnati area. You won't be disappointed!

Been to Hofbrauhaus Newport? Share your experiences!