“good food all times of the day”
Review of Mokka

Mokka
Ranked #29 of 106 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Alexandria, Kentucky
“good food all times of the day”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is a great place to eat for a sandwich or a dinner, or even breakfast. Food prices are reasonable. Mokka Sunset Bar and Grill is clean and well lit and has a terrific view of the city streets from the large windows. Nice friendly staff. They have a good bar with a number of on-tap specials, both local and national beers. They have lunch and dinner specials most everyday of the week. I have eaten a number of their menu items over the last three years and can honestly say I have never had anything that was not good. This place is nice, suitable for families, to have a workday lunch or to take a date. There are two sides to the restaurant. One side has a bar and sports TV's and the other side is just tables for a more intimate meal. Scout around for free parking nearby, or at the very least find parking at a meter on the street. The most expensive parking is right across the street to the north. This restaurant puts you to within two blocks of the Newport Levy.

• Visited August 2013

Cincinnati, OH
“Skip-go across to Mammoth”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I run on Saturday mornings with a group. We go out for breakfast after. We came to Mokka, when I asked the hostess for a table for 6-she said 'I have to check with the manager to see if I can put a table together'. She did. We sat down and waited and waited. In the meantime, another friend who runs with us-texted and said that the week prior the manager asked them to leave saying "we are going to have to ask you to leave and we really don't want runners in here because we have had some complaints about the smell". Really? You have that much business on a Saturday morning at 9am that you can turn people away. So today after waiting and receiving that news-we walked over to Mammoth (which is always quick and tasty and welcoming to EVERYONE). The food at Mokka is ok usually-but service is always slow. I will not be returning due to the poor customer service experience-so Mammoth ended up having a whole restaurant full of people. And the manager came over to our tables to tell us how much he appreciated us coming in on the weekend mornings. Skip Mokka-go to Mammoth.

• Visited August 2013
Dayton, Ohio
“Breakfast (slightly) off of the beaten path”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We were looking for a place to get breakfast after heading out from staying in Newport for the weekend. Based on tripadvisor reviews we headed to this place and weren't disappointed. With it being a Monday morning, it wasn't crowded at all and we pretty much had the place to ourselves. My husband ordered french toast and I ordered an awesome salmon and caper omelet that took up my entire plate and was very delicious! Great food and atmosphere- we will definitely come back the next time we stay in Newport.

• Visited July 2013
“Best breakfast in Kentucky ... and Ohio!”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Busy place on weekends, but go anyway. Their creme-brulee french toast is fantastic. Their service is always good, even with a crowd. We have never been here for dinner or evening entertainment, but we will try that next. You can't go wrong with Mokka!

Visited February 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Dissapointed twice in a row”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I started going to Mokka when there was one in Hebron. The breakfast was always excellent but they were only open for breakfast, and thus the Hebron Mokka's closed.
The Mokka's in Newport was never as good as Hebron but lately it has slid off into unreccomendabiltity.
The last, and perhaps final, time I had breakfast there was last week and we had to send back the coffee.
Yeah, I know, you think that I must be picky but the coffee was just terrible. It tasted old, cheap, unmeasured, and just plain bad.
I asked politely for a new setup and the replacement coffee was almost exactly the same.
My breakfast goetta pizza was mostly good but the crust was burnt into carbon fiber on the bottom and required excessive sawing to make into a bite.
I can't recommend Mokka anymore, you'd be better off at the waffle house.

• Visited January 2013

Been to Mokka? Share your experiences!