“Nice hotel, but room did smell bad”

Courtyard Owensboro
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Owensboro
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Not having been to KY before, it's possible that all hotel rooms smell like mold because of the humidity. Whenever the A/C - Heat unit was running it smelled very very bad. I read other reviews and planned ahead with room freshener. The only other turn off was the bed, very springy and not cushy at all. Other than that, I found the lobby, coffee bar (by day), bar (by night) very nice. Indoor pool/spa, workout room, personal laundry and outdoor patio areas were very tasteful. There was also a business area with very nice amenities...books, newspapers, large tv, seating areas and a touch screen monitor for travel and weather info all around the country. Rooms had Ipod docking stations too. Many people I ran into around town (I was there for work) said it was the nicest hotel in owensboro. It's not in the "center" of town so I wouldn't plan on walking anywhere, but it is very close to the riverfront, restaurant's and a Walmart Supercenter with a car and right off the highway, which was nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank cayennev8
GMCourtyardOWB, General Manager at Courtyard Owensboro, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay at our hotel. We hope that you will choose the Courtyard by Marriott for your future stays.

Ruth Ann Dearness
Courtyard by Marriott Owensboro

Reviewed 21 April 2013

I stayed here for work meeting and was very satisfied. Very nice room with a frig, great service. The room where we had the meeting was very nice and the staff was very helpful in adjusting the temperature when requested. Food service was very good as well.

Location is not right in Owensboro but in a suburban area near WalMart.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
GMCourtyardOWB, General Manager at Courtyard Owensboro, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a a review of our hotel. We value guest feedback and appreciate very much hearing about your experience. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and hope to have you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

I stayed here one night while in town for work. The staff were friendly when I checked in. They upgraded me to a suite. My room was clean. The location is easy to get to, there are some restaurants within walking distance and many within 5 miles or less. I did not use the gym or pool during this stay. Nor did I eat any meals here. If I had to give something that could be improved-there is a gap under the door so it is very easy to hear ANY hall noise. But that's easily fixed with a towel at the door. Would stay here again if in the area. Price was a little high at 149/night.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
GMCourtyardOWB, Manager at Courtyard Owensboro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a rating for our hotel. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

I stayed here a few weeks ago and it was 3 star for me as soon as I took my shoes off I got something in my foot like a splinter. But today I find a total different experience, the first room was enough to gag me and the second room is still smelly but I am to tired to go down the road. I think the air conditioning units are major need of some cleaning. Very bad experience I will not stay at this one again. There is one down the road for half the price where I would expect all these issues.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Darren P
GMCourtyardOWB, Manager at Courtyard Owensboro, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Please accept my apology for the problem you encountered while a guest at our hotel. All our guests are very important to us and I regret that you did not have a good experience at our hotel.

The odor problem was not from the air conditioning units. We clean the a/c filters in every room once a month and clean the entire unit twice a year. What we have found was a breach in the duct system that ventilates the pool filtration system. We are in the process of having that repaired.

Again, my sincere apology.

Reviewed 28 December 2012

The staff at this Courtyard went above and beyond to accomodate my needs. I appreciate the willingness of front desk staff to do things such as lend me scissors to wrap my Christmas gifts for family (I was obviously there around the Holiday). The housekeeping/desk staff also went above and beyond to refund my Marriott points when an impending snowstorm cut my trip short. I've stayed at dozens of Marriott properties, and the customer service here was by far the best.

The only kink I encountered had to do with a cut I sustained while sitting on their couch. The couch has a built-in table that protrudes out. I cut my pajamas and my tush when I sat down in a hurry. Ouch. Defective furniture.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BLFB
GMCourtyardOWB, General Manager at Courtyard Owensboro, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor of your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Owensboro. It was our priviledge to have you as our guest and hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 26 December 2012

I had to run from a snow storm and landed here. Beautiful room, pleasant folks at the desk. Wish I could have gotten breakfast at the bistro but they were not open yet. The room was very well appointed, the bed was very comfortable, the linens very crisp and warm.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank LuAnne W
GMCourtyardOWB, General Manager at Courtyard Owensboro, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2012

Thank you so much for posting a review of your stay at our hotel. Our team is committed to providing the best guest service possible. We very much appreciate our guests recognizing that commitment.

We hope to have the pleasure of having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

We were in Owensboro for a wedding in October and decided to stay at the Courtyard based on the positive reviews. I was truly surprised by the quality of this hotel. The lobby area was very large and modern. The front desk staff was professional and friendly. The same goes for the housekeepers and waiters. Everyone we saw gave us a warm greeting. The room had an extremely comfortable bed and large bathroom. I love a large bathroom, especially one with a walk in shower. I also appreciated the sitting area in the room. It was all well designed and spotless. I can really tell that staff takes pride in the hotel. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jechath
GMCourtyardOWB, General Manager at Courtyard Owensboro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay at our hotel. All our team appreciates your recognizing the service you received while our guest. We want all our guests to have the best experience possible.

We hope to have the opportunity to have you as our guest if your travel plans bring you back to Owensboro.