“Great Stay”

Comfort Suites
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Owensboro
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We chose this hotel for our Holiday World visit this past weekend. It was a struggle finding something relatively close to there that was nice and at a decent rate. I'm very happy we chose this hotel. It was only a 45 min easy drive to the park and ended up working out great. For the price, I think the value is very good. The place was clean and every employee we came into contact with was very friendly.

We were greeted kindly at check-in and it was quick and painless.

The room itself was a decent size and we had plenty of room for our family of 5 with two queen beds and a pull out sofa. The room also had a fridge and microwave which is really nice. It was also clean and inviting. The free waters and popcorn were a nice touch as well. The beds were very comfy, especially after a long day at the park. We slept very well. The only issue we had was getting back to our room late Saturday night and finding housekeeping didn't leave us any clean towels/wash cloths. However, the gentleman working the front desk took care of that problem immediately. Our kids enjoyed the indoor pool.

Breakfast was nice. Yes, it's just your average continental breakfast, but... it's free and there was something for everyone there. They had waffles, biscuits, gravy, eggs, pancakes, various pastries and breads, bagels, yogurt, cereals, fruit, etc. The coffee was great as well. The lady working the breakfast area was so friendly and worked very hard to keep the area clean and stocked. She also went out of her way to make sure everyone could find everything they needed/wanted.

The location of the hotel is great. Right off the highway and close to an abundance of restaurants.

All in all... we had a great stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tiffany405

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Let me summarize by saying we would stay again because the bed and bathroom were both clean and comfortable. And the staff was friendly. But I can't give it a great review because there were a few issues that may turn other customers away. It was not our first choice by trip advisor standings but the Courtyard was full and we wanted a hotel with an indoor pool, so this was the other choice with the added amenities we needed/wanted.

The good: the hotel was nicely decorated and updated. The lobby and rooms were warm and comfortable with wood furniture and flat screen TVs. The beds were soft and comfy. Our king bed had white linens which I like because its easy to see if they are clean, but a family members double room had gold comforters that just didn't feel crisp and clean. The bathroom was clean with new fixtures. The rooms were quiet and seemed sound proofed well. All we ever heard was an occasional door if someone didn't stop it from slamming. The staff were friendly and helpful but I wasn't impressed with their professionalism. The breakfast served from 6-10am had a much bigger selection than other hotels I've been too. The quality of hot food was low, such as powdered eggs and razor thin bacon but that is to be expected at a free continental breakfast. The coffee was great! The dinning room spacious and clean with a big wall mounted flat screen. The pool and hot tub area was nicely decorated and appeared clean at first glance. There were plenty of clean towels in the pool area for use. The location was good, centered in a major shopping area with a traffic light for easy in an out. The check and out process was simple.

The bad: Upon checking in, Ms Clara at the front desk, who was very friendly, spent the first several minutes on the phone while also trying to check us in, so we weren't able to ask questions. Once she realized we were irritated with this, she asked the call to hold. They also pulled the %10 tourism levy CBS news warned about but we didn't catch it until much later after check out. The two young female employees picking up cigarette butts and debris in the parking lot were smoking while doing it. Though they said hello and we're friendly, it just didn't come across as professional with a cigarette hanging out of their mouths. The building needs some maintenance attention. The hall carpets were dirty and could use a good shampoo or replacing. The walls in our room were banged up, had gouges out of the corners, and when the sun shines in on the walls, you could clearly see all the different dry wall patches and paint touch ups using the wrong shade of paint. (Pictures attached) The pool area had ants, the small picnic type ants, crawling all over. A simple pest treatment would get rid of these. There were holes in the wall in the pool area as well. And lastly, they were not flying the US flag properly. While it may seem unimportant to some, it's very important to us being a military family with a long line of active and retired veterans. It's great to fly our flag but have pride in what it stands for and take care in doing so. It should come in at night or be displayed under a spot light.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank James R
KY106GM, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself, my name is Roger Buchanan, and I have the distinct pleasure of managing the Comfort Suites Owensboro. I have managed this Comfort Suites for the past 10 years. I sincerely wanted to start off by introducing myself and then apologize to you and your parents for a less than satisfactorily stay at our Comfort Suites.

Comfort Suites Owensboro is in the early stages of renovation, as we have been working very hard to not let the “wear and tear” be so obvious. I must admit, I cannot wait until our Comfort Suites is new and fresh again. I would like to explain that yes, we did remove all the artwork from the guest suites, and filled in all the holes that it left, and then tried to repair the small nicks and bumps that have occurred over the last 10 years, as to assist the painters and contractors. Unfortunately they are running way behind, and my staff associates were trying to help speed up this renovation process. I realize this sound like I am trying to cover up our shortcomings, and this is quite the contrary.

I would like to share some pictures with you and your family and just let you see what is in store for Comfort Suites Owensboro, and we will be very proud of the end results. The entire hotel’s carpet from Hallways, Lobby, Business Center and Fitness Room will be replaced. We are currently working on removing the arches from all guest suites, and I must admit it makes the suites look even larger after the arch is removed, as you can see in the before and after pictures that I have attached. The borders in the guest suites are being removed, and the entire guest suites are being repainted, in two different colors, as you can see in the pictures. New Drapes, New Bedding and Bed Linen in all guest suites not just the king suites. Shortly after you stayed with us, we received all the decorative top sheets and bed skirts and bed scarves for all the guest suites like your parents stayed in. Trying to coordinate all of these items to arrive at the same time, to be installed and painted on time, seems not to work so smoothly all the time. I do greatly appreciate our guests, especially when they take the time to let us know as a staff and me as the manager of what we are doing right and what we could do a little better.
As you can see, we have been in operation for over 10 years, and all we have on Trip Advisor is 20 comments and reviews which included yours. I take guest satisfaction very seriously, as when I too travel, I continue to be that General Manager, seeing what other hotels do better than I do, and what they do worse than I do…. that’s probably why no one ever wants to go on vacation with me. You mentioned that the lobby furniture and guest suite furniture was warm and inviting, although I must admit that these too are what we started with 10 years ago. Our Lobby will be updated once the guest suites get completed, as I wanted to ensure that our Comfort Suites guests had the best experience in their guest suite first, that our Comfort Suites could offer them. We had the foresight to put in granite in the guest suite bathrooms 10 years ago, and I am certainly glad that we had made the decision to do that, as it has worked out well for us and our guests.

Your comments were very instrumental in us making some changes in how we do things around our Comfort Suites. You had mentioned that you saw one of our employees picking up the parking lot and a cigarette hanging from their mouth, and after I read that comment I too was appalled with their action.
Comfort Suites Owensboro is a non-smoking facility, and I would not be impressed if I saw any of our employees not representing the hotel in a more favorable manner. I did want to “thank you” for your comments concerning our breakfast, as I am always looking for better items and better presentation, and when guest comment on either of those items, I start on my quest all over again. It is very difficult to serve anything other than the scrambled eggs that we serve as I understand your frustration with your choices that we offer for breakfast. The difficult part is that I am limited on what I can serve, as we do not have a full operational kitchen, no stove, just microwaves and confection ovens. Your comments were valid and well noted.

Now, as to the ants in the swimming pool area, I have to admit failure on that particular comment. In the 10 years of operation I never thought to have Terminex, who is our pest control vendor, to spray the swimming pool area as well. We do not allow food or drinks in our swimming pool area so the thought never occurred to me personally and after speaking to our pest control vender, he told me that the reason we have ants in the swimming pool is that they are looking for water . I truly appreciate your comments, as it just helps us to see things that we may overlook on a day to day basis, but then our guest with a fresh set of eyes notices things that maybe we have become immune to after time.

I must admit that I was greatly affected by your last comment the most, the other things that you had mentioned in your posting to Trip Advisor. We are in the process of being renovated, and we would have to just bear with it until it is completed, as our staff knows that once the renovation is completed that we would have a product that us as staff members and our guests would greatly be proud of and appreciate.

I was affected most by your comment concerning our United States of America Flag not being well lit at night. This bothered me greatly, as I thought that the lights that we added to the parking light lots would light the flag that we proudly fly every day. After your comment, I came by at night and saw what you must have seen. I am well versed on the proper flag protocol as I too spent time in the military and as well as growing up a military brat, with a father who proudly spent two tours of duty in Vietnam with the Special Forces Green Beret, who then retired in 1969. After I read your comment, I truly felt bad, as I felt that I had let my Father and all the other Armed Service Men and Women who fight for our country every. I proudly lower the United States Flag when the President of the United States informs that we do, and I proudly replace the United State of America Flag probably every three months because of fraying and fading. I truly apologize for letting all of those mentioned above down, including my father. I am proud to say that after reading your comment that the situation has been resolved, as I added two flood lights to the area, and now the Unites States of America Flag is proudly flying at the Comfort Suites Owensboro and it is proudly well lit, as you can see by the attached pictures. I truly appreciate your comments, good and bad, as it makes me and our team of staff associates better at offering our guests, who spend their hard earned money with our Comfort Suites Owensboro the first time, and then having them to return again because of our hospitality and service, and overall accommodations.

I would like to extend my most heartfelt appreciation with you taking the time to help make us better and stronger. If it was not for guest like yourself, taking the time out of your busy schedule to inform us of what we do good and what we do badly and how we can do better, we would never improve and we become complacent with the way we handle our responsibilities to you our GUESTS.

Again, please accept my sincerest apologies to you and your family, and I would like to have the opportunity to have you visit our Comfort Suites Owensboro in the very near future, and enjoy the
Hospitality of our Comfort Suites Owensboro, as you and your family will be our complimentary guests. Remember, next time, perhaps Comfort Suites will be your first choice, as the Courtyard will not be so new, and we will be newly renovated.

If I ever may be of any other assistance to you and your family, please do not hesitate to contact me and or our staff associates at your earliest convenience. I may be reached at 270.926.7675, Monday thru Friday, although my staff can reach me anytime that you may need my assistance.

With Much Respect and Warmest Appreciation and Regards,

Roger Buchanan

Reviewed 22 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a football tournament that had several teams as well. Needless to say it was a full roudy house. This is certainly a budget hotel but we found it to be really nice. The rooms are large and clean and the service was good. The free breakfast was good and the staff somehow managed to keep everything stocked and running smooth. I have a lot of respect for a hotel staff that can do a good job of meeting the demands of a full house. They were friendly and on top of everything. I realize that it is a budget hotel but I feel that I should mention that the downstairs hallway carpets are in need of replacement.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The staff was friendly, the room was clean, quiet, and comfortable, and the shower was hot and had good water pressure - all I need to be happy with a hotel! The complimentary water and popcorn was a nice bonus!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

My family and I came to Owensboro, KY for the weekend for a basketball tourney. The staff was awesome and the rooms were extremely clean. My kids had a good time in the pool and the breakfast was good as well. I will stay there everytime my kids say too. Roger and Ms Carla and the other staff do a great job.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed here with a large group of families, and everyone enjoyed the stay! The rooms were spacious and clean, the beds were comfortable, the kids really enjoyed the pool, the breakfast was great, and the staff was very kind and helpful--not to mention, it was cheaper than the other comparable hotels! This would definitely be a repeat stay for us if we are back in Owensboro.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The hotel was located just minutes from the bypass. The staff was very nice and helpful. The room was very clean and well maintained. Luxury like hotel without the luxury pricing. The breakfast had a lot of choices and was constantly watched by the staff to make sure it was full and hot. The only thing I did not like was the bed, it is a tempurpedic mattress, this is strictly a preference dislike, my wife loved the mattress.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Adam B