“We Gave Our Leftovers to the cats out back!”
Review of The Smith House

The Smith House
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Owenton
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Diner
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We walked in and the lighting in the big room was blinding, I read someones review and ordered the pork loin dinner with sweet potato cass the pork was over cooked and dry and the sweet potatoes were burnt and tasted like someone dumped a whole bag of brown sugar in them. Would not recommend this joint at all. I guess by most of the reviews I see we should have ordered the pie.

William O, Owner at The Smith House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

It is with great embarrassment that I offer my sincerest apologies regarding your poor dining experience with us. It is always our goal to provide the best meal possible to our customers and I am extremely sorry you did not receive a quality meal. I do wish you had said something to your server or to me before you had left, so we could have tried to make your dining experience more enjoyable. I hope sometime you will give us another opportunity to serve you again.
Billy O'Banion
Owner

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed at the Elk Creek Lodge and this was pretty much one of the only close places to eat. It was your typical hole in the wall place but food was good . I had the pulled pork and my hubby had a burger . All in all it's a good dinner choice.

1  Thank Mandi T

Thank you for your kind words and we hope you will come back soon!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Recently we were in Southern Ohio for an event and drove to the Smith House to feast on their famous 'Rebel Burger', it was well worth the trip, which we did twice! The new owner, Billy O'Banion, is usually on premises and greets each patron as family. His wife, Julie, happened to be there and insisted that we sample a couple side dishes, such as the stewed tomatoes, and render our opinion. Most of the offerings are homemade, as well as the pies, which are an absolute must. Take our advice and put The Smith House on your list of restaurants to visit. You will be well taken care of by any of the wonderful servers. This is a very clean, well maintained restaurant. We recommend it to anyone who loves really good food at a good price. It's not out of the way, very easy to find. Well worth the trip!

2  Thank Shinnston_WVa

Thank you for your kind words and we hope you will come back soon!

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We were staying at Elk Creek Winery and decided to venture into town for dinner. We found Smith House and thought we'd give it a try. We were pleased to find a clean, friendly, hometown resturant that served up really good food! I would recommend this resturant to anyone who enjoys good "down home cookin"!

2  Thank Jack B
William O, Owner at The Smith House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words. We work very hard to make sure your experience is a pleasant one and we hope to have you return very soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

A friend and I were recently visiting Owenton, Ky and inquired as to a good place to eat. Smith House was recommended and I am so glad to have taken the recommendation. It is right off Ky 127 just south of the community in a rather non-descript building that belied the great food inside. When we entered, we were advised to seat ourselves and sat at a plastic table clothed table in a large room. The room had the smell of the fryer but it was not offensive. We were greeted by a cheerful woman who immediately brought us iced tea (sweet or plain). My friend ordered the day's special - salmon patties with choice of several sides. She pronounced it to be delicious. Two large patties and two sides, crackers and good bread for less than $7.00. I had the house made pulled pork sandwich with some good fries. We both opted for the house made pies - delicious coconut cream for me (one of the best I have ever had) and she had the nut pie with a large scoop of ice cream. What a delightful finish to a great meal. We hope to be back and if you are in the area it is well worth a try!

1  Thank Virginia P

Thank you so much for your kind words. Please come back soon.