“Inexpensive and crazy good barbecue.”
Review of The Smith House

The Smith House
Ranked #6 of 14 Restaurants in Owenton
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Diner
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at Elk Creek Vineyards and tried out the Smith House while we were there. Their smoked pulled pork was so good that we bought several pounds to bring home. Their pie was excellent as well. VERY inexpensive and worth a try if you're in Owenton.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I was not a fan of the pork, but the cole slaw was tasty. My husband liked his burger. We really enjoyed the pie, which is what they are known for. This is just a small family run restaurant, so nothing fancy, but I good place to get a meal whole at the Elk Creek Lodge.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed at Elk Creek Dec. 26-28, 2013. We passed on dinner at Elk Creek to try the Smith House. We first went Thursday, the 26th, around 6-ish and were disappointed to find the restaurant closed. We thought maybe they had taken the holiday week off, but then Saturday we were there around lunchtime and again found it closed. We asked a local about it and she said she had heard a rumor they were closing permanently. Just wanted to post this in case anyone else is counting on it being open. By the time we figured it out on Thursday, the café at the Elk Creek Winery was closed so we had to drive around to find another local spot in town. :( If it was just a holiday closing I apologize. I didn't see any signs in the window or door to indicate either way. Also I rated them average since I had to rate them something to post this review...

William O, Owner at The Smith House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

I want to apologize for the confusion regarding our hours during the holiday season. We were closed the Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday during Christmas week. There is some confusion regarding your stop on Saturday because we were open for business on that day. The information you received from a local that we were closing permanently was and is incorrect. I do post my holiday closings on my Facebook page which is www.facebook.com/smithhouse2013. I hope you will visit us again soon. Our number is 502-484-2636.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We walked in and the lighting in the big room was blinding, I read someones review and ordered the pork loin dinner with sweet potato cass the pork was over cooked and dry and the sweet potatoes were burnt and tasted like someone dumped a whole bag of brown sugar in them. Would not recommend this joint at all. I guess by most of the reviews I see we should have ordered the pie.

It is with great embarrassment that I offer my sincerest apologies regarding your poor dining experience with us. It is always our goal to provide the best meal possible to our customers and I am extremely sorry you did not receive a quality meal. I do wish you had said something to your server or to me before you had left, so we could have tried to make your dining experience more enjoyable. I hope sometime you will give us another opportunity to serve you again.
Billy O'Banion
Owner

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed at the Elk Creek Lodge and this was pretty much one of the only close places to eat. It was your typical hole in the wall place but food was good . I had the pulled pork and my hubby had a burger . All in all it's a good dinner choice.

1  Thank Mandi T

Thank you for your kind words and we hope you will come back soon!