“Mrs.”
Review of First Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petersburg
First Farm Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Petersburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I had read the reviews about the squeaky bed before we arrived and wish I had paid more attention! We spent a very sleepless night in the 1870's room (the downstairs room) because the bed does NOT just have some slight, barely noticeable squeak. This bed squeals like a banshee. If you move AT ALL in your sleep you will be immediately startled awake by this sound in your ear, heaven forbid there be someone else in the bed with you! When we first arrived it was definitely noticeable when we touched the bed but when the house is quiet and you are sound asleep it's much worse. Anyone who makes this bed should have been able to easily tell it is LOUD! My husband didn't sleep at all b/c he is a light sleeper and I slept in 15 minute increments only to be startled awake repeatedly by the squealing bed. Even my six-year old unprompted said "Mama I didn't sleep very good cause your bed was so loud!" It made for a miserable experience at the Creation Museum (which was our whole reason for staying here) and an "interesting" 7 hour drive the next day. BTW there is definitely a cat smell from cats spraying in the downstairs living/guest areas but not in the bedroom. I really wish I could have focused on the friendly innkeeper who let us borrow their vacuum for our car AND their dryer, and made homemade brownies in the evening. I also wish our review could have been about the lovely animals we were surrounded by which my children loved and the pretty table we were greeted with in the morning but I fear I must warn people that if you actually require sleep this may not be the place for you unless the innkeeper can offer you a money back guarantee that your bed will not squeak. He was spraying it with WD-40 the next morning but I tried the bed after and it still squeaked (he may have been about to spray it more). All the other nice things are the reason we gave it two stars instead of one. Sorry First Farm Inn.

Room Tip: If you are going to the Creation Museum check their website. A nice family we met there recommended...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank HomeIsWhereAFSendsUs
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

So sorry this family didn’t sleep well. After seeing previous comments, last summer we bought a new underbed support system that we thought had eliminated or reduced that antique bed’s squeaking. No one had mentioned it until now, so we thought it was resolved.

I’ve posted a request for suggestions on an innkeeper’s blog and we will continue to try various methods to reduce the squeaking. Meanwhile, if you are a very light sleeper, try the Treetops room. That 1870s-vintage bed and mattress are nearly identical to this one (also featuring a foam topper) yet they don’t squeak. It’s a frustrating mystery of dealing with antiques and a historic home.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

This place served its perpose being a place to stay, I enjoyed watching the chickens run around and liked looking at the horses. The owner was accomodating but not very personable. He seemed to be much more of an animal person than a people person - mainly cats- there are cat towels, cat stitched pillow in the chair, a cat nitelite, cat pictures and in general cat decor. All of that cat decor comes complete with inside cats, outside cats, guests being responsible for cats, a cat smell, and a few cat stains. One of the many "outside" cats got in the house under my feet, and i was ordered by the owner to chase the cat down and put it back out. my response to that was "Really?" to which he repeated himself. So there i am wearing a very expensive cashmere sweater chasing this cat through the house knowing that if i grab this cat he will ruin my sweater. I told the owner on arrival that i was allergic to cats so he shewed them out of our room and told me to be sure to make sure the door stayed closed at all times or the cats would be "in and out all night". we have stayed in dozens of b&bs in Europe, but this was our first in the states. I will be much more leary about American B&Bs in the future. Perhaps we are used to a different standard- The owner made me an omelet for breakfast which was nice of him but they were serving turkey bacon... im not much of a turkey bacon kind of a guy- but he tried. The rooms minifridge had some drinks, but the ammount of funk and mold on top the can kept me from grabbing a second. Our skiing was very limited due to my wifes flight being delayed overnight and she wanted to stay away from the place as long as she could because of the cats so we opted to hang out at a restuarant all night until time to go to sleep and we left immidiatly after waking showering and packing - about 11. For $330 including 2 lift tickets we feel like we could have done much better if cats werent a factor, but cats being in the mix we were downright dissapointed. We opted not to even say anything..we knew it wouldnt matter.
so my advise to you is this - if you dont mind a bunch of cats, dont have black mold allergies, dont mind sandpaper towels, and generally have low expectations - this may be a great fit for you. I will say, some of their antiques were really nice and the room was quite large.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank AlishaWitty
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

We are amazed when people who don’t like animals choose to stay with us. The huge majority of our guests love our kitties as much as we do. If hundreds of website photos aren’t enough to let potential guests know that we have cats, every single caller is reminded before they book.
Looking forward to a fun and romantic weekend, this guy had a huge disappointment when his wife's plane was delayed repeatedly and she didn't arrive until the second day. When we are disappointed, we often begin to see more negatives. Once that starts, everything spirals downward.
When Dana responded abruptly and inappropriately to his work being interrupted, that set up more negativity. “What I should have done was apologize then and there,” Dana says. “I realize that apologizing now holds little weight. This man wanted, to spend a nice weekend skiing with his wife and enjoying our farm. He was disappointed with his experience. I reacted in a thoughtless and insensitive way.” (By the way, he opened a door and the cat ran out before Dana could pick him up.)
Sorry one soda can top wasn't clean. If you're a soda drinker, cleaning them should be a priority wherever you are. All the remaining soda cans we offer have been cleaned. Because the detrimental health effects of sodas, we will soon stop offering them.
Our commitment to healthy living and eating -- again as indicated on our website – has led us to offer turkey bacon primarily. Most guests enjoy it and say they plan to begin buying it after trying it with us. While very few B&Bs offer breakfast choices, we try to serve our guests their preferences. Sometimes not everything on the table is every person’s particular favorite, but there are always plenty of options.
We are also committed to being environmentally responsible. One component of that is sun-drying our linens – as is mentioned on our website. That gives the towels a texture many remember from their grandparents' homes. During our initial house tour, guests learn that additional towels are available under the sinks if needed. Usually some towels have been dried using electricity and are “fluffy.” A few regulars even request machine-dried towels.
If you don’t like animals, First Farm Inn is certainly not the place for you. Our website gives a complete and accurate description of what we offer and why. Bed and breakfasts are unique establishments that reflect their owner’s interests and tastes. We are committed to being healthy, environmentally responsible and rescuing abused and abandoned animals. If that’s not a good fit for you, you probably won’t be happy here.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

I had wanted to go to a Dude Ranch when my husband found the FFInn was on our way to visit family. I was so afraid it would be a nose to tail ride. Not even close. It was a lesson, a chance to get to know your horse, and a bit of freedom to enjoy your ride. A wonderful experience. Close to Cincinnati, you have activities for the night before your ride. We choose a riverboat cruise. Breakfast was delicious. The Inn was charming, homey and clean. We plan to stay again next year on our trip from Florida to Ohio for our annual family visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bonnie M
Reviewed 7 February 2012

If you would like a very unique experience of sleeping and dinning in an old farm house, the First Farm Inn is perfect. We enjoyed relaxing in our comfortable rooms that had everything we need to unwind from a long day of travel. We also enjoyed the wonderful warm hot tub just off the back porch. We took our 3 boys with us and they had a great time! They are very close to everything, but far enough away to not feel the pressure of life. We did not get a chance to go horse back riding, but we did go out and meet the friendly horses in the paddock. We picked the time we got up and had a wonderful breakfast that we all went from extremely satisfied. The food was both pleasing to young and old. We enjoyed visiting with, Jen, the owner. She is very experienced and has been doing this for over 15 years. That says a lot about this establishment. People keep coming back. Thanks for a wonderful stay!!! Would recommend to a friend!

Room Tip: The downstairs room is perfect for a couple or a romantic night. The up stairs room is perfect for...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank JulieEOhio
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We have visited with Jen & Dana on more than one occasion. You could not ask for a finer hostess and host. Food is well chosen; presented exquisitely; and taste is superb. Their farm house is open to visitors who wish to meet and greet as they travel. All appointments are thought out with the benefit of guests' comfort in mind. Pets are present, but not overbearing. As stated above, we've been there often and hope to return again in the not too distant future. Here's hoping that 2012 is a marvelous year for everyone at First Farm Inn

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie T
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I am a 65 year old IT professional who is a road warrior and stayed in many B&Bs over the last 20 years. My two days at this B&B were most unpleasant. Customer friendliness, southern charm and hospitality are NOT part of the culture in this B&B. (as I am sure you will witness when Mrs. Innkeeper writes her stinging rebuttal attacking her guest). If you elect to stay bring your own towels, wash the glasses first, don't eat the candy, and go easy on the breakfast something she cooks with will keep you on the toilet. The only thing pricklier than the towels is Mrs. Innkeeper.

Room Tip: I moved to the Ashley Extended Stay. The Ashley Extended Stay is immaculate and quiet. It has a full...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
20  Thank ElsieDawson
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Wow, what an unhappy review! If half the things this person claims were true, we’d have gone out of business long ago.

This woman neglected to say that she brought completely undisciplined preschoolers to the house and let them run wild, exploring our bedrooms and taking whatever they wanted while we were out to dinner. That is not the behavior of an experienced inn-goer who understands that a B&B is a private home and personal space is personal space. Our private areas are delineated during the house tour – as was our game cabinet, which they ignored.

Another concern was the noise and disruption caused by the children, who were not actually guests – they merely came to visit their grandmother while she stayed with us. The second day, they came back – screaming and fighting for hours – making it very unpleasant for all of us in the house.

Our website states that we accept ‘well mannered children closely supervised by responsible adults.’ Most of our experiences with guest children have been pleasant. But when the experience is less than desirable, we must consider our other guests – not to mention damaging our multi-generation family antiques and the personal treasures we’ve collected over a lifetime.

It is difficult for innkeepers to know exactly where to draw the line when it comes to accepting guests with children – and whether to believe people’s descriptions of their own children! Most innkeepers do not accept children. I am saddened to say that after this experience we are now re-evaluating our policy.

It’s surprising to hear complaints about the candy provided in the room along with cookies and pretzels, considering that all of these were gone at the conclusion of her stay. Perhaps that, rather than her accusations against our homemade breakfast were the cause of her problems. A significant number of other people ate the same food and were, in fact, highly complimentary of it.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Wow what a perfect place! The couple was very nice and welcoming. The house was beautiful and our room, the treetops room, was spacious clean and private. We stayed two nights and both breakfasts were incredible!
We also rode after breakfast on Sunday. I have very little horse experience but my wife had tons and they let her ride off and around the field on her own while I just took it nice and easy. It was the perfect amount of freedom and structure in a trail ride. We will definitely be coming back!!

• Stayed: October 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lawrenceburg
Quality Inn & Suites
#5 of 7 in Lawrenceburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cincinnati Airport
Baymont Inn & Suites Lawrenceburg

Been to First Farm Inn? Share your experiences!