“Exactly what I had hoped for”
Review of First Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petersburg
First Farm Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Petersburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I took a long weekend here last fall as our honeymoon. Jen and her family (both 2 legged and 4) were incredibly friendly, intelligent and accommodating.
The house was very clean and comfortable. We went riding twice and Jen was great at matching us up with horses that matched our limited riding experience. She also was a huge help in suggesting things to do while we were there because we are from out of town (Rabbit Hash is a must do experience!)
The breakfasts were amazing and she was very accommodating since I am a vegetarian.
We will definitely be back and HIGHLY recommend it!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JulieRabbitt
There are newer reviews for First Farm Inn

Reviewed 11 August 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a quiet weekend in the country. The owners were very friendly. I enjoyed my conversations with the husband and daughter. The wife was nice but didn't get a chance to have an extended conversation with her because she was taking people out horse back riding. All the participants seem like they were having a great time. I hope next time I can bring my oldest daughter for a daddy daughter weekend. The inn was clean and there was a wonderful movie collection. I will recommend this place to all my friends!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

Really liked this Inn . Owners very nice . Took the horseback ride at the Inn also . I picked a horse that I was not riding well on and Jan the owner had me switch to a different horse and the ride was GREAT ! Loved the animals horses , chickens , cats and Odo the dog . Lots of rocking chairs and swings to relax in the shade . I read a whole book in the few days I was there . I stayed in 1870's room nice size ,with private bath . Great location too , in kentucky but up in nw corner by Ohio and Indiana lots of things to due in 3 states !

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank ElyrSolotraveler
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thanks so much! We have such a great time with guests who understand what we're doing in terms of eco-tourism and maintaining an old farm, love animals and country life!

Reviewed 23 May 2013

I contacted Jen and told her I was homeschooling my teenage son and looking to have horseback riding lessons and a lesson on the care of horses. She was very accommodating to our needs. We had a wonderful stay in the Treetop Room. The breakfasts were out of this world. We loved meeting all the animals on the farm. My son wanted to take some of them home. My son agreed with me that he would like to come back again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank paulasmailbox
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I really enjoyed my stay! I chose this place because of the animals, the old farmhouse and the traditional charm that it offers. The owners are inviting, warm and friendly.

First Farm Inn is located in a safe, countryside place, so in the afternoon, I had a chance to walk and explore. I was accompanied by Odo, the lovable Aussie mix, whose intense need to play ball with me was a joy. I met another furry companon reading in the living room at evening, by the fireplace; a kitty curled up beside me.
I even had a free concert that night by a family member practicing on the grand piano. Precious.

My room was spacious, clean and quiet and featured a private bath, a desk for my laptop, and wireless internet.

Breakfast in the morning consisted of multigrain waffles, topped with maple syrup and fresh-cut strawberries and bananas. We also had our choice of a variety of cakes and treats, such as Poppy Seed Muffins or Lemon Coffee Cake. I liked that we were all seated together for breakfast. The food was excellent and the conversation was lively. I can only imagine the stories that have been told at that table!

It's rare to find a bed and breakfast that also offers horseback riding! I loved both. To my delight, Jen is also an accomplished Dressage instructor. So I not only had a good ride, but received some expert tips as well. In fact, since I've been away from horses for a while, I was able to benefit from the instruction that all of the riders were given as we groomed the horses and tacked up. I'm so glad that this was NOT the standard nose-to-tail experience. Jen's watchful eye matched the rider's skill level to the horses well, and knew when the riders were comfortable enough to trot a bit. I could tell that she wanted us to have fun, relax and be safe.

Chatting in the kitchen with Jen, I learned that she's quite talented... Most of the stained glass that hangs in the windows to catch the light was hand-crafted by her. She enjoys watercolor and the house is filled with her artwork and the work of local artists. I learned of nearby art galleries and resources that I'd not heard of before; despite living in the area for 15 years. She is a wealth of knowledge!

This B&B was a home away from home. I am looking forward to returning.

In fact, I'd like to make a habit of it.

Thank you for your hospitality, First Farm! -m

:) http://www.firstfarminn.com/

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I had read the reviews about the squeaky bed before we arrived and wish I had paid more attention! We spent a very sleepless night in the 1870's room (the downstairs room) because the bed does NOT just have some slight, barely noticeable squeak. This bed squeals like a banshee. If you move AT ALL in your sleep you will be immediately startled awake by this sound in your ear, heaven forbid there be someone else in the bed with you! When we first arrived it was definitely noticeable when we touched the bed but when the house is quiet and you are sound asleep it's much worse. Anyone who makes this bed should have been able to easily tell it is LOUD! My husband didn't sleep at all b/c he is a light sleeper and I slept in 15 minute increments only to be startled awake repeatedly by the squealing bed. Even my six-year old unprompted said "Mama I didn't sleep very good cause your bed was so loud!" It made for a miserable experience at the Creation Museum (which was our whole reason for staying here) and an "interesting" 7 hour drive the next day. BTW there is definitely a cat smell from cats spraying in the downstairs living/guest areas but not in the bedroom. I really wish I could have focused on the friendly innkeeper who let us borrow their vacuum for our car AND their dryer, and made homemade brownies in the evening. I also wish our review could have been about the lovely animals we were surrounded by which my children loved and the pretty table we were greeted with in the morning but I fear I must warn people that if you actually require sleep this may not be the place for you unless the innkeeper can offer you a money back guarantee that your bed will not squeak. He was spraying it with WD-40 the next morning but I tried the bed after and it still squeaked (he may have been about to spray it more). All the other nice things are the reason we gave it two stars instead of one. Sorry First Farm Inn.

Room Tip: If you are going to the Creation Museum check their website. A nice family we met there recommended...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank HomeIsWhereAFSendsUs
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

So sorry this family didn’t sleep well. After seeing previous comments, last summer we bought a new underbed support system that we thought had eliminated or reduced that antique bed’s squeaking. No one had mentioned it until now, so we thought it was resolved.

I’ve posted a request for suggestions on an innkeeper’s blog and we will continue to try various methods to reduce the squeaking. Meanwhile, if you are a very light sleeper, try the Treetops room. That 1870s-vintage bed and mattress are nearly identical to this one (also featuring a foam topper) yet they don’t squeak. It’s a frustrating mystery of dealing with antiques and a historic home.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

This place served its perpose being a place to stay, I enjoyed watching the chickens run around and liked looking at the horses. The owner was accomodating but not very personable. He seemed to be much more of an animal person than a people person - mainly cats- there are cat towels, cat stitched pillow in the chair, a cat nitelite, cat pictures and in general cat decor. All of that cat decor comes complete with inside cats, outside cats, guests being responsible for cats, a cat smell, and a few cat stains. One of the many "outside" cats got in the house under my feet, and i was ordered by the owner to chase the cat down and put it back out. my response to that was "Really?" to which he repeated himself. So there i am wearing a very expensive cashmere sweater chasing this cat through the house knowing that if i grab this cat he will ruin my sweater. I told the owner on arrival that i was allergic to cats so he shewed them out of our room and told me to be sure to make sure the door stayed closed at all times or the cats would be "in and out all night". we have stayed in dozens of b&bs in Europe, but this was our first in the states. I will be much more leary about American B&Bs in the future. Perhaps we are used to a different standard- The owner made me an omelet for breakfast which was nice of him but they were serving turkey bacon... im not much of a turkey bacon kind of a guy- but he tried. The rooms minifridge had some drinks, but the ammount of funk and mold on top the can kept me from grabbing a second. Our skiing was very limited due to my wifes flight being delayed overnight and she wanted to stay away from the place as long as she could because of the cats so we opted to hang out at a restuarant all night until time to go to sleep and we left immidiatly after waking showering and packing - about 11. For $330 including 2 lift tickets we feel like we could have done much better if cats werent a factor, but cats being in the mix we were downright dissapointed. We opted not to even say anything..we knew it wouldnt matter.
so my advise to you is this - if you dont mind a bunch of cats, dont have black mold allergies, dont mind sandpaper towels, and generally have low expectations - this may be a great fit for you. I will say, some of their antiques were really nice and the room was quite large.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank AlishaWitty
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

We are amazed when people who don’t like animals choose to stay with us. The huge majority of our guests love our kitties as much as we do. If hundreds of website photos aren’t enough to let potential guests know that we have cats, every single caller is reminded before they book.
Looking forward to a fun and romantic weekend, this guy had a huge disappointment when his wife's plane was delayed repeatedly and she didn't arrive until the second day. When we are disappointed, we often begin to see more negatives. Once that starts, everything spirals downward.
When Dana responded abruptly and inappropriately to his work being interrupted, that set up more negativity. “What I should have done was apologize then and there,” Dana says. “I realize that apologizing now holds little weight. This man wanted, to spend a nice weekend skiing with his wife and enjoying our farm. He was disappointed with his experience. I reacted in a thoughtless and insensitive way.” (By the way, he opened a door and the cat ran out before Dana could pick him up.)
Sorry one soda can top wasn't clean. If you're a soda drinker, cleaning them should be a priority wherever you are. All the remaining soda cans we offer have been cleaned. Because the detrimental health effects of sodas, we will soon stop offering them.
Our commitment to healthy living and eating -- again as indicated on our website – has led us to offer turkey bacon primarily. Most guests enjoy it and say they plan to begin buying it after trying it with us. While very few B&Bs offer breakfast choices, we try to serve our guests their preferences. Sometimes not everything on the table is every person’s particular favorite, but there are always plenty of options.
We are also committed to being environmentally responsible. One component of that is sun-drying our linens – as is mentioned on our website. That gives the towels a texture many remember from their grandparents' homes. During our initial house tour, guests learn that additional towels are available under the sinks if needed. Usually some towels have been dried using electricity and are “fluffy.” A few regulars even request machine-dried towels.
If you don’t like animals, First Farm Inn is certainly not the place for you. Our website gives a complete and accurate description of what we offer and why. Bed and breakfasts are unique establishments that reflect their owner’s interests and tastes. We are committed to being healthy, environmentally responsible and rescuing abused and abandoned animals. If that’s not a good fit for you, you probably won’t be happy here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lawrenceburg
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 7 in Lawrenceburg
Hollywood Casino Lawrenceburg Hotel
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cincinnati Airport
Homewood Suites Cincinnati Airport South-Florence
Baymont Inn & Suites Lawrenceburg

Been to First Farm Inn? Share your experiences!