“Disappointed and somewhat concerned”
Review of First Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petersburg
First Farm Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Petersburg B&B and Inns
Durham, North Carolina
“Disappointed and somewhat concerned”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I met up with 3 college roommates from different states for a girls weekend recently. We enjoyed finding a place where we could all be together. Two of use, who have no contact with animals or each other in our lives daily, developed red itchy, painful bumps on our skin within 24 hours of leaving the inn. They were most consistent with flea bites (I am a doctor and had other doctor friends also examine my bumps!), prompting a massive cleaning freak out on my part to make sure that none had traveled home with me. Lots of cleaning, purchasing of chemicals, time spent worrying about this, etc. Same thing for my friend in another state. The other 2 appeared to be ok, which is sometimes the case with fleas depending on a person's reactivity.

We know that their kitties were in our room at various points during our stay, so we voiced our concerns to the owner in an email. We also asked that the affected people (2 of 4) be reimbursed for our stay. (Which we thought was pretty nice to just ask for that and not a total refund!) We received back an email from the owner stating that they had cleaned the area and did not think that it could possibly be their animals or house. And refused to refund us or compensate us in any way.

The whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. It defies logic to think that we simultaneously developed the exact same flea-bite appearing bumps by being in the same location, with animals, and it not being related to the inn. Additionally, I felt that the inn keeper's response was insufficient and ungracious. She invited us back to stay again, but I don't think there is any chance that is going to happen. And I don't want anyone else to go through what we have.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank BFH2012
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this review, 28 May 2015
It’s awful to have allergy problems. I’m sorry the girls did, but blaming us is simply dishonest. The allergies appeared on Monday. They left the house Sunday morning. Had they been bitten by fleas, they would have woken up Saturday morning with flea bites. They sent photos which showed an allergic reaction pattern unlike flea bites. Claiming one guest is an M.D. seems to give them credence. Ask a vet, they know what flea bites look like. Look online.
We have been in business for 17 years, following all the regional Health Department standards and taking much more care in cleaning than most people do with their homes. We have NEVER had fleas, not even a problem outside. Our animals are treated with systemic flea protection regularly. Our elderly cat had just been to the vet and not found to have “any bugs” about 10 days before their visit. If one cat had fleas, they all would.
Despite the fact no one who stayed in the room before or after them had any problems, we apologized, took the accusation seriously (while knowing it could not be true) and took every additional precaution we could: bombed the room with insecticide, washed every layer of bedding, sprayed all the corners, reapplied insecticide on all the cats and dog. None of us who live here (two of whom have allergies) have had any reactions.
Yet, in less time than I got notified of the review, several people have “liked” it. And despite thanking us for a wonderful weekend, she later falsely accused us of having fleas and demands a refund.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at First Farm Inn for 2 nights as part of our anniversary trip. We loved it and wished we could stay longer but we had to get back to our kids. The food was great, the house was clean and in order and Jen was very friendly. The 3 of us took a ride for a good amount of time. While out we were able to gain a lot of information about the horses and their care (we plan to have some in the future). We had never been to a B&B before and this was a great first experience! We plan to return and will share with our friends and family. :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kelli L
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I took a long weekend here last fall as our honeymoon. Jen and her family (both 2 legged and 4) were incredibly friendly, intelligent and accommodating.
The house was very clean and comfortable. We went riding twice and Jen was great at matching us up with horses that matched our limited riding experience. She also was a huge help in suggesting things to do while we were there because we are from out of town (Rabbit Hash is a must do experience!)
The breakfasts were amazing and she was very accommodating since I am a vegetarian.
We will definitely be back and HIGHLY recommend it!

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JulieRabbitt
Columbus
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a quiet weekend in the country. The owners were very friendly. I enjoyed my conversations with the husband and daughter. The wife was nice but didn't get a chance to have an extended conversation with her because she was taking people out horse back riding. All the participants seem like they were having a great time. I hope next time I can bring my oldest daughter for a daddy daughter weekend. The inn was clean and there was a wonderful movie collection. I will recommend this place to all my friends!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin S
elyr
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

Really liked this Inn . Owners very nice . Took the horseback ride at the Inn also . I picked a horse that I was not riding well on and Jan the owner had me switch to a different horse and the ride was GREAT ! Loved the animals horses , chickens , cats and Odo the dog . Lots of rocking chairs and swings to relax in the shade . I read a whole book in the few days I was there . I stayed in 1870's room nice size ,with private bath . Great location too , in kentucky but up in nw corner by Ohio and Indiana lots of things to due in 3 states !

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank ElyrSolotraveler
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thanks so much! We have such a great time with guests who understand what we're doing in terms of eco-tourism and maintaining an old farm, love animals and country life!
Jasper, Indiana
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I contacted Jen and told her I was homeschooling my teenage son and looking to have horseback riding lessons and a lesson on the care of horses. She was very accommodating to our needs. We had a wonderful stay in the Treetop Room. The breakfasts were out of this world. We loved meeting all the animals on the farm. My son wanted to take some of them home. My son agreed with me that he would like to come back again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank paulasmailbox
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I really enjoyed my stay! I chose this place because of the animals, the old farmhouse and the traditional charm that it offers. The owners are inviting, warm and friendly.

First Farm Inn is located in a safe, countryside place, so in the afternoon, I had a chance to walk and explore. I was accompanied by Odo, the lovable Aussie mix, whose intense need to play ball with me was a joy. I met another furry companon reading in the living room at evening, by the fireplace; a kitty curled up beside me.
I even had a free concert that night by a family member practicing on the grand piano. Precious.

My room was spacious, clean and quiet and featured a private bath, a desk for my laptop, and wireless internet.

Breakfast in the morning consisted of multigrain waffles, topped with maple syrup and fresh-cut strawberries and bananas. We also had our choice of a variety of cakes and treats, such as Poppy Seed Muffins or Lemon Coffee Cake. I liked that we were all seated together for breakfast. The food was excellent and the conversation was lively. I can only imagine the stories that have been told at that table!

It's rare to find a bed and breakfast that also offers horseback riding! I loved both. To my delight, Jen is also an accomplished Dressage instructor. So I not only had a good ride, but received some expert tips as well. In fact, since I've been away from horses for a while, I was able to benefit from the instruction that all of the riders were given as we groomed the horses and tacked up. I'm so glad that this was NOT the standard nose-to-tail experience. Jen's watchful eye matched the rider's skill level to the horses well, and knew when the riders were comfortable enough to trot a bit. I could tell that she wanted us to have fun, relax and be safe.

Chatting in the kitchen with Jen, I learned that she's quite talented... Most of the stained glass that hangs in the windows to catch the light was hand-crafted by her. She enjoys watercolor and the house is filled with her artwork and the work of local artists. I learned of nearby art galleries and resources that I'd not heard of before; despite living in the area for 15 years. She is a wealth of knowledge!

This B&B was a home away from home. I am looking forward to returning.

In fact, I'd like to make a habit of it.

Thank you for your hospitality, First Farm! -m

:) http://www.firstfarminn.com/

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Michelle S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lawrenceburg
Homewood Suites Cincinnati Airport South-Florence
Best Western Inn Florence
Best Western Inn Florence
#3 of 28 in Florence

Been to First Farm Inn? Share your experiences!