“Great place to stay!”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Pikeville
Woodbine
“Great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I travel ever week and stay in hotels four nights a week. The whole staff at the Holiday Inn in Pikeville Ky do a wonderful job. It is a pleasure to stay at this hotel. Breakfast is always good. My rooms have always been clean. The staff makes me feel at home.

Mike H.

Room Tip: I like the river side.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Went to the hotel for my birthday and paid $115+ tax for a suite and it was not worth it. When there is mold and mildew on the window and curtains would you want to be there? The bathroom was so nasty I didn't even want to touch the tile. The tub was falling apart. The shower had calcium build up. And they present it as a 4 star hotel well I would say a 2 star would be the highest I would give it. Also their free Wi-Fi was free when you could attach to it. Called the front desk and they told me to call a number to see what they said. Didn't do it though cause that is not my job!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Satosfiable
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

My sister & I and my nephews stayed in the excuctive suite. We were late checking in. The hotel staff had made some fresh warm cookies. The kids loved it!! We went to our room and the kids found some more snacks by the sink. We took the kids down for a swim and the lady at the front desk told us she made some more cookies and that we could take as many as we wanted and that she made some fresh coffee if we wanted and to let her know if we needed anything. As we got our decaf I happen to over hear one of the guest compliment the front desk clerk how clean the hotel was. Wow! I've never had this kind of service at a hotel before! The kind hospitality we received during our stay was unbelievable!! The room and entire hotel was very clean! This is my second stay here and I had no problems being a return customer. Turn on the fan in your room and you won't hear any traffic noise outside. I will stay at this hotel everytime I visit pikeville.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Lisa216
salyersville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

called to see if i could get a better rate because i work at the pikeville hospital and have to stay somewhere one night a week, and then one weekend every month!! they told me i could have a room for $99 but you can book on line for $99. i guess i will take my business else where.
it is a shame that they can not help the hospital workers. i did stay one night and the train was so loud that i could not sleep!!!! can't wait for the hilton to come may these hotels will treat people better to get their business!!!!

Room Tip: don't stay
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank anna c
Pikeville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

Holiday Inn Express-Pikeville- One side of the building is right next to a loud Hwy. The back side of the building is right next to a loud train- which made loud sound even at night. Either way, you'll have loud sound day and night. Room is not renovated & carpet is not that clean. Recommend to bring your sandals to walk inside the room. I saw some rooms has new carpet but mine's did not. I reserved 2 nights and I cancelled after 1 night stay. Laundry is in 2nd floor with only one dryer and one washer for the whole hotel. You cannot wash your clothes if somebody is using it. Laundry water is not hot even though you put in hot water. Front desk in night shift refused to give me AARP discount when I reserved it. She asked if I stayed there before. I told her ,'yes'. She then looked up my name. She refused to give me AARP discount. She said that was the price I used to pay. That is $99.99 plus tax. She said that was already discounted. That was not true because I check expedia.com and other .com. $100 is their regular price at this time of the year. Exercise room- one machine out of the three is 'out of order'- cheap machines also in this Holiday Inn Express Pikeville. No business center but there is a computer to be used hided at the corner of the dinning hallway if you can find it in this Holiday Inn Express Pikeville. I would recommend to go to Hampton Inn of Pikeville, which is the best in friendly staff, cleaniness of the room and building, air cond control is on the wall, which is almost like central air-cond , also means quiet at night. Hampton Inn also has spacious and clean Gym room with good machines, indoor pool and spa, spaceous area in the dinning area, business center , living room- all tastefully decorated in Hampton. Microwave oven, paper plates, plastic utensils, fruits available at all time at Hampton Inn too. Oh, yes, Hampton Inn gave me the AARP discount rate without arguing with me. I ended up only pay $5 more in Hampton Inn than Holiday Inn Express. If Hampton Inn has room, go to Hampton Inn. You'll be treated like an VIP and will be a lot happier.

Room Tip: Order through expedia.com, or other .com , so you do not need to call the hotel and deal with the ni...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank M C
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

I had a funeral to go near Pikeville, KY and needed a place to stay the night. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and stocked. Breakfast was fine. Eggs were not great but i liked the cinnamon rolls. My main complaint was that the road we were next to was so loud. I expected some hwy noise because of the location, but it was ridiculous! Let me put it this way, I got up and checked the window just to see if the window had/could come open because it was like i was sleeping in the middle of the road. I have never been so happy that the air conditioner was so loud in my life! It was a fine hotel for the emergency stop I had to make, but I will try not to stay here again. If I have to stay in Pikeville again, I'm going to try the Hampton.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Beattyville, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Stayed here for one night due to a meeting the next day, and wanted the benefit of sleeping in a bit instead of getting up early and driving two hours. I had previously stayed at the Hampton Inn in Pikeville but decided to try the HI Express this time, since the Hampton has raised rates recently.

For a city of its size and regional importance, there is a dearth of hotels/motels in Pikeville. Besides the Hampton and the HI Express, there's the venerable Landmark Inn, the Brookshire Inn (a former Super 8) and several locally-owned places of questionable quality.

Some of the other reviews about this establishment raise valid points. For instance, the noise and parking. I ended up on the first floor in a room facing busy US 23, and I heard a lot of road noise, especially since there is a traffic light adjacent to this hotel. The sheer curtains close, the thicker drapes are just side panels for decorative purposes only and do not close to block some of the noise. Parking is at a premium at the front lot; thankfully I found a spot out in front of the Central Kentucky Blood Center office and didn't have to park in the lower lot and hike up the hill. That's in comparison to the Hampton, which has plenty of parking but it's in a separate garage.

Some of the third-party sites that take reservations for this property indicate that the entire hotel is non-smoking, but that's not true. There are smoking rooms, and at 2 a.m. I could smell cigarette smoke wafting into the bathroom of my non-smoking room.

There's no refrigerator in a standard room, but the wi-fi Internet worked very well. The bed was comfy. I ended up in an accessible room with a roll-in shower, which was OK, but there was very little water pressure in the shower.

Breakfast was decent. They were alternating sausage patties, round pieces of ham/Canadian bacon and microwaved bacon strips for the meat selection. Biscuits and gravy, a pancake maker and a good selection of cereals/, fruits and breads. I like the Hampton's breakfast better, however.

Originally I tried to get a room here through Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" program, to no avail. The room here goes for $100 with AAA or government employee discount, so I tried starting bidding at $45 and went all the way to $70 with no acceptance. At one time the Hampton participated in this program, but now the only Pikeville hotels that do are the HI Express and "Super 8" -- and there is no longer a Super 8 in Pikeville! So my first experience with "Name Your Own Price" was a bust. Sorry, Captain Kirk...

It's not a bad hotel, and it's no doubt nicer than some of the local fleabags, but I probably won't stay here again next time I have to stay in Pikeville. I may try the Landmark or the Brookshire, or I just may go back to the Hampton since it's a known quantity.

Room Tip: Get something facing away from busy US 23.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pikeville
Hampton Inn Pikeville
#5 of 5 in Prestonsburg
Brookshire Inn Prestonsburg
Brookshire Inn Prestonsburg
#3 of 5 in Prestonsburg

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pikeville? Share your experiences!