“Good food but needs cleaning”
Review of Shady Lane Cafe

Shady Lane Cafe
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Staff was very attentive and food good. Place needed cleaning but we arrived at 2:45 pm just after lunch rush so maybe we just hit it at the wrong time but I like a clean restaurant.

2  Thank Sharethehope
ShadyLaneLady, Owner at Shady Lane Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2015

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry it took me this long to respond, but we're completely low-tech. The reason we needed cleaning that day was that we had just had a four star review in the paper. We were actually closing when you came, as one of our employees was over-exhausted from the day, and had to go home. We had even closed up the tables. But as you were travelling, we agreed to serve your family. We are an exceptionally clean restaurant, and we never have had less than a A rating.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Friend and I met for lunch: terrific hamburger, his BLT was delicious, great atmosphere. :Homemade bananas foster cake was taken home to share with wife: it was outstanding. Many specials, next time I will try something different.

1  Thank RB27Nov2015

Reviewed 20 April 2013

I'd been driving my bro-in-law from Chicago all over the city today showing him many of the sites. We started getting hungry after spending the day at Churchill Downs, the University of Louisville, Old Louisville, the Central Business District, 4th Street Live, Museum row and Whiskey row. I said Joe, what would you like to eat? He said he wanted a good corned beef sandwich. At that point we were on Brownsboro road in Clifton and I said we are going to Shady Lane Cafe. We made a fantastic choice.

Joe enjoyed the New York Reuben and declared it a winner. He really, REALLY liked the home-fried potato chips. I decided on the Brownsboro burger and loaded it up with tomato, lettuce, pickles, mayo, bacon, grilled onions and pepper jack cheese. Man, that burger was huge and juicy and tasty and messy and all the things that make a burger GREAT. I loved the chips as well. Seasoned just right and oh so crunchy.

Not only was the food quite delicious, all the staff are so friendly and desire to make your dining experience one you'll truly remember. Shady Lane cafe is the kind of place that makes you feel as if you're stepping back in time. It's not all the glitz and glamour of many modern types of eateries and that's definitely a good thing. You order at the counter and right behind the counter are the grill and fryer. It's just a really cool place to get great food.

On a side note, I was in there with my CARDS 2013 National Championship t-shirt on. At the table next to Joe and I were some UK fans with their 2012 Championship tee's and a few tables down was a North Carolina fan with his 2009 Championship sweatshirt on. The place was literally full of champions today.

6  Thank Doogymon

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Shady Lane is the best lil mom and pop cafe in this city! They have the best burger, many sandwiches including a benedictine and bacon, club and philly steak. They also serve gourmet breakfast entrees on saturday mornings that are to dire for! So, if you haven't experienced Shady Lane Cafe, it is a must. I almost forgot to mention the excellent homemade desserts that Susie makes!! YUMMM!

1  Thank Shelley C

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry it took me this long to respond, but we're completely low-tech. We're now open Thursday and Friday evenings from 5:30 to 8 PM. Come check us out. Oh, by the way, You Rock!

Reviewed 13 October 2012

You must order the Brownsboro burger. It is the best in Louisville! On Saturday, Bill and Susie serve a wonderful breakfast. The French Toast with Peach Compote is an excellent entree that is just sweet enough! I can also recommend the Bacon &Bleu omlet. Lunch fare includes the Bacon and Benedictine Wrap which is homemade. Don't forget to order one of Susie's desserts!

1  Thank Cyndi B