“Only Hotel I Was Afraid to Sleep”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Louisville South
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Shepherdsville
“Only Hotel I Was Afraid to Sleep”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

After arriving after 10pm, we check-in w/almost ease. Get to our rooms & 1 room looked and smelled great, the other...not so much. My son and I had 2 double beds so I first stripped down our sheets. Black hairs on mine and a long blonde hair on the throw. I plugged my phone into the outlet closest to the bed, and there was a bait trap. I looked under the beds and there was FOOD and garbage under BOTH beds. I went to the bathroom, and there were several black hairs all over the floor. I go to the desk with my son, and the night auditor's response was "Oh gosh" and "make sure your dnd is off of the door in the morning so housekeeping can service it." I went back up to my room clearly peeved and text my sister in the other room. She then told me they had no bait traps in their room, which was a great big RED FLAG!! We went back down to the desk & demanded to be moved, & she showed me the "only room they had left." There was garbage and what appeared to be a used cough drop under one of the beds, and bait traps in this room also, which I made her aware of. I stuck with the first room, as the 2nd clearly was no better, and my son was now sleeping. Not at any point did the staff offer to come clean the room, change the sheets, or even offer to move us...I had to ask. The next morning I spoke with the manager and he didn't even look at my reservation. He argued with what time I checked in, and said I didn't report the issue until after 2am. Wrong! Then he said there was nothing he could do. I said, so you are telling me you cannot clean my room and he said no. Again, not looking at my reservation to see I was there a 2nd regrettable night! If it weren't for the woman at the desk asking me, he would have never agreed to have my room cleaned. We left, giving them ample time to clean. The throw still had the same hairs on but the sheets "appeared" to be clean. The bathroom was taken care of, and so was the drainage problem we experienced in our shower. Under the beds the food had just been pushed to the wall...still there. And the room still smelled unclean. When we left to go to a wedding the manager asked me if I had seen what he'd done, like he deserved some praise for doing a bad job. This hotel is by far not up to Carlson standards in many ways and lacks some serious customer service. The blonde haired girl at check out was the only one who expressed genuine concern and addressed all of our questions promptly and appropriately. Checking out, by far, was the only good thing about this hotel.

Room Tip: Check your beds before your bathrooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JJGRG
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Louisville South, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear HotelManagerGray,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We do apologize for concerns you had with your room or the customer service you experienced. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Michigan
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had a problem with our first room, someone had smoked in it. Not sure why housekeeping never reports when a room is smoked in. The desk clerk was helpful and did get us another room. The rooms were clean, breakfast was okay. I guess good enough for just one nights stay. The price was more then we like to spend for a Country Inn.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jorpeland, Norway
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Too a while to get checked in. The couple in front of me had a few issues, but afterwards I had to wait for many minutes while the girl at the front desk went off to do something else. The room was weird. It had a sofa in front of the TV, but there was no table anywhere. So when having a snack and a drink, I had to place it on the floor in front of the sofa.

Bed was nice though, and breakfast was your average continental breakfast. Convenient location. The price was average, and I would probably try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I would avoid this hotel. The carpets were so dirty that we were afraid to take our shoes off and you could SEE about an inch of accumulation on the carpets close to the walls. The "sleeper sofa" was something someone picked up off the curb 20 years ago. Given the stains on the outside, we decided not to open it up and find what was inside! We crammed all 5 of us on 2 double beds instead. The kicker was the VCR NAILED DOWN to the entertainment center (as if anyone would want to steal that?). I had to take a picture! We were also next to the elevator, which was very loud. We were staying the night to rest since we needed to drive all day the next day and there was no rest here. Either stay in Louisville or keep driving. The room wasn't worth half of what we paid. I can't believe that Radisson would associated themselves with this hotel. By far the worst stay on our 10 day trip!

Room Tip: Not next to the elevator
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JerryK7
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Louisville South, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Jer7035805,

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room and the noise from the elevators with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inn and Suites standards.

Travellers are raving about these Shepherdsville hotels

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Typical of all the Country Inn & Suites. Clean and convenient. We upgraded to the larger room that is a suite. the others are not. Breakfast decent but the oatmeal was like soup. Good location if you are looking for a quick stop off highway

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Only poor Country Inn we have visited. Very tired condition. Room door locks inoperative, chips in bathtub, need of painting, torn wallpaper, breakfast so so. Scratch it as a location to stay. Location very good but some money needs to be put into refurbishing. Not well occupied which may have led to poor breakfast. Staff was polite.

Room Tip: Try a competitor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Louisville South, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inn & Suites standards. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. Thank you for your feedback and we hope for another chance in the future to exceed your expectations!
Waldo, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I am a travel agent and was traveling with my family. We booked a stay here as it was the only location big enough for our family size with a room available.
It was clean, the guy checking us in was slow but very nice. He got us fresh baked cookies and gave us some goody bags filled with bottled water and bags of chips (my kids loved this)

The room was cold so we had to turn up the heat and it smelled very smokey but we stepped out for dinner and came back it was warm and the smell was gone.
It was very clean. We asked for extra towels and they brought them to us right away.

Negative was pull out sofa bed- the mattress was so thin and you were sleeping on the box springs and it hurt my son in law and daughters back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepherdsville
Sleep Inn & Suites Shepherdsville
Hampton Inn Bardstown
Hampton Inn Bardstown
#1 of 8 in Bardstown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hillview

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Louisville South? Share your experiences!