“Quirky, offbeat, interesting find for the open minded.”

Kentucky Reptile Zoo
Ranked #4 of 9 things to do in Slade
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: There are few reptile collections that can compare to the diversity of animals on display at the Kentucky Reptile Zoo. Animals on exhibit range from an 18 foot reticulated python, our largest resident, to many types of venomous snakes such as cobras, mambas, cottonmouth, copperheads, taipans and rattlesnakes, to an American Alligator. One of the favorite areas for kids is our Turtle Tracks Area, where both tortoises and aquatic turtles can be seen. Live reptile shows at 1, 3 and 5pm.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 27 June 2013

If you're expecting some highly polished multi-million dollar facility, move along. This is a quirky place, very oddball. It's basically thrown together from utility sheds and outbuildings. However, aside from it's less than sophisticated construction, very interesting. Tons of snakes of all sorts. The young woman who was our guide was quite personable and was able to answer all of our questions about the snakes. We timed our visit to watch them harvest snake venom, which was quite interesting. If you have an open mind and like places that are unique and off the beaten path, you'll enjoy it. None of the people in my party of 7 regretted taking the time to check this place out. If you expect a fancy big city exhibit, you'll be less than thrilled.

1  Thank rt100rider
in 9 reviews
"intern"
"knowledge"

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Are you kidding? Wife and I stopped by while driving home from a family visit. This is a joke right? They should reduce the admission price to $1 like the giant python we saw at the mall and enjoyed much more. We don't usually write reviews but had to here. Oh, don't plan on using the restroom. There are NONE. Really?

3  Thank Bill S
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I'm a 52 year old grandma and I loved this place! Too many people expect a true zoo, which this is not, but it is a huge supplier of venom for the U.S.. The owner has devoted his life to his passion, as you can tell by many missing pieces of fingers ( with a story for each one). Our group watched him "milk" mojave rattlesnakes, having to remain very still and quiet as he instructed. When and where else would we ever experience such a thing? As a nurse I also realize the importance of the venom for medical studies, and I'm very sure there aren't many people that would be willing to do this at any price!! An experience that I will never forget!

2  Thank Cheryl B
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Being in the professional zoo industry I tend to have a much more critical eye when I visit other zoological facilities. Recently, I had the good fortune to finally make a trek to the Kentucky Reptile Zoo and boy I couldn't have been more pleased with my visit! Jim and Kristen are two of the most knowledgable reptile people you will find. Their well trained staff are customer friendly, courteous, and knowledgable in their own right. The setting is very intimate; something you don't get at larger zoos. Each building is like opening a new present; lots of unexpeced surprises with some of the world's most exotic and beautiful reptiles; particularly their venomous snake collection. You'll be hard pressed to see a more diverse collection than this one. The exhibits are really nice, the animals in impeccable condition, and the drive to get to this zoo is absolutely beautiful. It's worth the drive whether you are from Chicago like I am, or, from just about anywhere in the U.S. For anyone who enjoys reptiles or wildlife in general this is a great place to visit. You will not be disappointed. And I have heard many others say the same thing who have visited. Great job KRZ!!!!!

4  Thank Rob_Carmichael