“Great Place to Visit”

Kentucky Reptile Zoo
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Slade
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: There are few reptile collections that can compare to the diversity of animals on display at the Kentucky Reptile Zoo. Animals on exhibit range from an 18 foot reticulated python, our largest resident, to many types of venomous snakes such as cobras, mambas, cottonmouth, copperheads, taipans and rattlesnakes, to an American Alligator. One of the favorite areas for kids is our Turtle Tracks Area, where both tortoises and aquatic turtles can be seen. Live reptile shows at 1, 3 and 5pm.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My family and I visited the Kentucky Reptile Zoo on 8/8/13 It was a great experience! There was an excellent selection of venomous snakes. We saw snakes here that you can't see in regular zoos. Everyone was very nice and very knowledgeable about all of the animals and exhibits. We especially enjoyed watching Jim Harrison milk the rattlesnakes and copperheads. Jim is an expert and very well known in the world of animals. It was a privilege to be able to see him at work. The cost was very reasonable. I was more than happy to give my money to help support this valuable venom collection service. Because of Jim and his work, many lives can be saved!

2  Thank Ruth M
There are newer reviews for Kentucky Reptile Zoo

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Where else can you see a snake get milked for its venom right in front of you? I found this place very interesting. If you have curious kids, it's a must to visit this place if you're in the area. Mine loved seeing the snakes, turtles, and alligators we saw there. I was most impressed by the staff who demonstrated a thorough knowledge of the critters on display. It's nothing fancy, but the knowledgeable staff and snake milking made it worth the money for me. At only $7 per adult and less for kids, I thought the price was reasonable considering their overhead.

2  Thank Meggo37
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I was just a bit disappointed in this attraction. There is a $7.00 fee per adult and that got us a tour of about 30 minutes. We were showed 3 small buildings of snakes, 2 alligators and some turtles. Venom is extracted here for research and that is a good thing so I don't regret the ticket price; I was hoping for more information from the guide and more displays. People added to our tour along the way and the buildings became quite crowded which made viewing difficult.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

If you're expecting some highly polished multi-million dollar facility, move along. This is a quirky place, very oddball. It's basically thrown together from utility sheds and outbuildings. However, aside from it's less than sophisticated construction, very interesting. Tons of snakes of all sorts. The young woman who was our guide was quite personable and was able to answer all of our questions about the snakes. We timed our visit to watch them harvest snake venom, which was quite interesting. If you have an open mind and like places that are unique and off the beaten path, you'll enjoy it. None of the people in my party of 7 regretted taking the time to check this place out. If you expect a fancy big city exhibit, you'll be less than thrilled.

1  Thank rt100rider
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Are you kidding? Wife and I stopped by while driving home from a family visit. This is a joke right? They should reduce the admission price to $1 like the giant python we saw at the mall and enjoyed much more. We don't usually write reviews but had to here. Oh, don't plan on using the restroom. There are NONE. Really?

3  Thank Bill S

Been to Kentucky Reptile Zoo? Share your experiences!