“Lingering Odors”

Natural Bridge State Resort Park
Reviewed 16 May 2013

First, I love Natural Bridge State Park and the nearby Red River Gorge area and visited at least once a year for over 40 years. This visit included a family reunion, so I rented a two bedroom cottage. Last stay in a cottage was about ten years ago. That the cottage is old didn't bother us. Eat in kitchen, ok bath, nice open shelving for our assorted "stuff" was great. Not so great was the smoke alarm that went off every time I turned on the stove for our very simple meals. The fireplace emitted a strong odor of the many fires that have undoubtedly been built in it. With no damper to close off the chimney, the aroma of stale smoke permeated everything: our hair, our clothing, and our luggage. We built fires in the thing at night, just to get the air moving up the chimney instead of down. When we returned, I washed everything possible, including down jackets. Even my purse smelled and it got a dunking. I guess next is our luggage. I wiped and sprayed those down with Febreeze, let them air outside for three days, then took them upstairs. Just went up to store them, and wham! Got hit with the unpleasant deja vu of smoke odor. Guess I'll have to scrubadub those too. We informed the lodge management of the damper and smoke alarm problem, and was told maintenance would check it out. It may have been checked, but nothing done. We removed the battery from the smoke alarm so I could cook without going deaf. Sorry folks, I'm heading down the hill to another venue next time. Or camp. To all: do not stay in Cottage 202!

Room Tip: Do a smell test before you stay at a cottage.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank ontwowheelsfortwo

Reviewed 27 April 2013

We stayed here en-route to Ashville, NC since we had planned a meeting for noon on the date of arrival in nearby Campton, KY. That meeting changed to 800 the next morning so we got to travel the local area somewhat.

The Lodge is in a beautiful location, Natural Bridge State Resort. It is next to or surrounded by the Danial Boone National Forest. It seems to me to be wilderness like. The room we stayed in had been recently renovated and redecorated, had new carpet, flat screen TV and a wonderful overlook view of a lake and swimming pool 100 feet below. The deck off the room was spacious and private and the connecting wooden door had a screen door. When we found the TV was set to air channels and not cable we called and the onsite manager responded immediately to correct the setting The staff were universally friendly and helpful.

We didn't see a fitness center but all anyone would need is the local trails. My wife took the .75 mile trail to the natural bridge and found the effort very worth while.

We skipped dinner the first night to try a local place but had breakfast at the lodge after our Campton meeting. The dining room reminded me of the lodge at Mt Rushmore with the glass windowed vistas. There was a bird feeder outside of our table which seemed to be occupied most of the time with a squirrel. But we did get to see a Pileated Woodpecker in the trees. The food was OK but the servers were excellent.

As nice as the place is, it can't escape its 50s-60s origins. The bath is tiny and has an institutional feel with no toilet seat cover and the very fluffy towels in a rack right over the exposed toilet. A male, standing up, frequently can ram a toe into a door stop. it has no outlet to place a night light.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank leccvg
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Stayed in the lodge recently and found the rooms to be quite nice. Double queens with granite sinks and flat-screen TVs. The sink/mirror is separate from the toilet/bath which makes it easier for showering and prepping without running over each other. The restaurant has a good salad bar and the entire feel of the lodge facility is welcome and inviting. The staff are excellent and willing to assist with any issues that arise. GREAT military rates on lodge rooms, so be sure to CALL rather than booking online.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the lake, so not a bad choice in the bunch.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank David W
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom cottage, #206, March 13th. The bathroom needs a good cleaning or updated. The couch should have been disposed of long ago, the back was broken and bowed terribly. The kitchen was well equipped even though some of the dishes were not clean when put away. The bed was comfortable. For the price this was not as good as cabins in other KY state parks.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OCDtraveler
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I wanted to get away on a solo trip to recharge my batteries and chose to stay in a cottage rather than the lodge. The two bedroom (4 bed), two bath cottage was the only one available for my dates, and given the price of about $150 a night, I decided it was worth it. Boy am I glad I did! It was spacious, clean, and well equipped with everything that I needed including an abundant amount of firewood. I was happy with the privacy, too. The cluster of cabins nestled in the trees are all located on one road ending in a cul de sac, but I didn't hear a peep out of any neighbors. My only complaint and recommendation would be that the furniture in the main living area was old and in need of replacement as well as the bedspreads and curtains. Other than that, I would recommend staying here for a weekend/visit to the beautiful state park for great hiking, views, swimming, biking, etc... or to just relax and recharge!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank TRVLSWLL
Reviewed 31 October 2012

These cottages have shoddy furniture, worn and wrinkled carpet, and no view. One bedroom had no fireplace. Very much in need of paint, repair, and cleaning. You have to lug your stuff up
3 flights of steps. At $150 per night, I was expecting a little more. This whole resort is lost in the sixties. The town of Slade is a wide place in the road with three shabby convenience stores.
There is a pizza place close by that caters to campers. The food is good, once you get it.

Room Tip: Lodge may be a better choice if you just have to go there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GeorgiaRambler
Reviewed 25 October 2012

OMG, this is really off the beaten path which makes it a hidden jewel in Kentucky. Our family stayed here for two nights and we found it to be fun and well worth it. The pool is amazing and one of the best and the hiking trails are shady. Some trials are quite challenging and yet others are easy enough for the whole family. Hiking up to the Land Bridge is a must for the most amazing view for miles in all directions. Just take your time if you are out of shape. One trail has several benches to rest on.

While you are here, take the nearby circular drive that goes through a one only car tunnel and into a most beautiful and scenic park.

Also nearby down the road about 3 miles past the Resort entrance is a wonderful restaurant up on a hill that is so friendly and serves great food called Red River Rock House. Well worth going to for a beer and just good food.

This Resort is where time slows down and family time or just couple time becomes a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slade
Cliffview Resort
Cliffview Resort
#1 of 2 in Campton
Campton Parkway Inn
Campton Parkway Inn
#2 of 2 in Campton
Bowen Farm Bed & Breakfast
Black Bear Lodge Motel

Been to Natural Bridge State Resort Park? Share your experiences!