“Excellent stay for a excellent price!”

Natural Bridge State Resort Park
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I rented a cottage here for five nights since I wanted to hike to most of the near by arches there at the park and in the Red River Gorge area. I had a one bedroom cottage which I thought was way too large for one person but I got used to the extra space and like it! The cottage was well kept, clean and superbly comfortable. I was bit shocked to discovered that there is no room service but hey,,,,I can make my own bed!! (My mom taught me that much even if there were the sting of the horsewhip over my head!) They do dropped off clean linens, towels and all that. Even new sheets if you asked for it. Throughout my five nights, I had a very comfortable and peaceful nights. Its quiet out there...outside of few owls hooting!! I definitely thought I got my money worth. The lodge staff proves to be friendly and professional. I was bit surprise that by the fourth day, some of them knew that I was from Alaska.

Few things to considered if you are thinking about taking this route. The cottages are located along a single narrow road. I don't recommended trucks or big SUV since making tight turns is a must. Bring your own food if you want since this place come with a complete kitchen with a big refrigerator and full size stove and dishwasher. Be tidy as a mess will probably bring out the bugs. Of course, I ate at the lodge and cooked some minor food at the cottage. Food at the lodge is quite good. They are rather staple to Kentucky State Park system but good tasting stuff. Their buffet is a good bargain after a hard day hiking.

And yes, you can walk to the lodge from the cottages. I would say, its a 8-15 minute walk, mostly level with few minor inclines and short stairs.

One more thing to considered...these cottages do not have wifi!!! NO INTERNET!!! Yep, if you are glue to your laptop or smartphone....you are SOL. Maybe someday, this cottages might get some. But wifi even at the lodge,,,,isn't that strong or consistence. But who need such stuff right?

I am not sure if these cottages are handicapped friendly. From the road, maybe there is one cottage that didn't involved you walking down a host of stairs...or walking up. You may want to contact the lodge ahead when you make the reservation.

And for all true Americans,,,,,bad news....no NFL Network. Must be a communist plot, eh?

Room Tip: I think my review pointed out the pro and con of the cottages.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank SirHoot

Reviewed 1 October 2013

My wife and I's first trip. We will go back for sure. 1 bedroom cottage was clean, comfortable, peaceful and offered beautiful views in every direction. Had breakfast, lunch and 2 dinners at the lodge which offered delicious down home cooking and a great buffet for most meals. Met the chef and expressed our compliments. Nice lady with some awesome cooking skills.

We couldn't hike deep into the trails due to time constraints but we will on the next trip. A hikers paradise I hear. Ride the Skylift. The view at the top and the Natural Bridge left us with lifetime memories.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank James L
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed in the resort (not the cottages), and it was very nice, super clean, with a small balcony opening out on to the forest. It was beautiful! The skylift is excellent, the trails well cared for, the buffet was delicious, and the staff very kind. I definitely will return and recommend it for you. Julie

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank juliviolet
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I recommend the Natural Bridge Resort to stay at, but you do need more than one night and a day to explore this amazing place. The restaurant had good food, the room was clean with a great view. Will be going back with more time so we can explore.....Great place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tammy S
Reviewed 16 May 2013

First, I love Natural Bridge State Park and the nearby Red River Gorge area and visited at least once a year for over 40 years. This visit included a family reunion, so I rented a two bedroom cottage. Last stay in a cottage was about ten years ago. That the cottage is old didn't bother us. Eat in kitchen, ok bath, nice open shelving for our assorted "stuff" was great. Not so great was the smoke alarm that went off every time I turned on the stove for our very simple meals. The fireplace emitted a strong odor of the many fires that have undoubtedly been built in it. With no damper to close off the chimney, the aroma of stale smoke permeated everything: our hair, our clothing, and our luggage. We built fires in the thing at night, just to get the air moving up the chimney instead of down. When we returned, I washed everything possible, including down jackets. Even my purse smelled and it got a dunking. I guess next is our luggage. I wiped and sprayed those down with Febreeze, let them air outside for three days, then took them upstairs. Just went up to store them, and wham! Got hit with the unpleasant deja vu of smoke odor. Guess I'll have to scrubadub those too. We informed the lodge management of the damper and smoke alarm problem, and was told maintenance would check it out. It may have been checked, but nothing done. We removed the battery from the smoke alarm so I could cook without going deaf. Sorry folks, I'm heading down the hill to another venue next time. Or camp. To all: do not stay in Cottage 202!

Room Tip: Do a smell test before you stay at a cottage.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank ontwowheelsfortwo
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We stayed here en-route to Ashville, NC since we had planned a meeting for noon on the date of arrival in nearby Campton, KY. That meeting changed to 800 the next morning so we got to travel the local area somewhat.

The Lodge is in a beautiful location, Natural Bridge State Resort. It is next to or surrounded by the Danial Boone National Forest. It seems to me to be wilderness like. The room we stayed in had been recently renovated and redecorated, had new carpet, flat screen TV and a wonderful overlook view of a lake and swimming pool 100 feet below. The deck off the room was spacious and private and the connecting wooden door had a screen door. When we found the TV was set to air channels and not cable we called and the onsite manager responded immediately to correct the setting The staff were universally friendly and helpful.

We didn't see a fitness center but all anyone would need is the local trails. My wife took the .75 mile trail to the natural bridge and found the effort very worth while.

We skipped dinner the first night to try a local place but had breakfast at the lodge after our Campton meeting. The dining room reminded me of the lodge at Mt Rushmore with the glass windowed vistas. There was a bird feeder outside of our table which seemed to be occupied most of the time with a squirrel. But we did get to see a Pileated Woodpecker in the trees. The food was OK but the servers were excellent.

As nice as the place is, it can't escape its 50s-60s origins. The bath is tiny and has an institutional feel with no toilet seat cover and the very fluffy towels in a rack right over the exposed toilet. A male, standing up, frequently can ram a toe into a door stop. it has no outlet to place a night light.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank leccvg
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Stayed in the lodge recently and found the rooms to be quite nice. Double queens with granite sinks and flat-screen TVs. The sink/mirror is separate from the toilet/bath which makes it easier for showering and prepping without running over each other. The restaurant has a good salad bar and the entire feel of the lodge facility is welcome and inviting. The staff are excellent and willing to assist with any issues that arise. GREAT military rates on lodge rooms, so be sure to CALL rather than booking online.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the lake, so not a bad choice in the bunch.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank David W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slade
Cliffview Resort
Cliffview Resort
#1 of 2 in Campton
Campton Parkway Inn
Campton Parkway Inn
#2 of 2 in Campton
Bowen Farm Bed & Breakfast
Black Bear Lodge Motel

Been to Natural Bridge State Resort Park? Share your experiences!