“Needs Better Management”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of CastlePost

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Versailles
CastlePost
Lexington, Kentucky
“Needs Better Management”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

I booked this Bed & Breakfast for a special night out for my parent's when they came to visit us at Christmas.
Pros:
1. They got an automatic upgrade on the room b/c no one else was staying there.
2. The castle is beautiful, and it's a fun experience that you won't find anywhere else.
3. Even though we didn't stay for the night, we got to see the room, check out the castle, and pretty much have the run of the place the next day to hang out in the billiards room playing pool.
4. According to my parents, the beds were totally comfortable and well worth the night as opposed to the futon in our guest room.
Cons:
1. Bad service. Actually, no service. The guy that answers the phone does not make you feel like you want to spend $2500-$1,000 staying there. He is curt and impolite.
2. Did I say no service? My parents' room did not lock well, they wanted some bottled water, and there was NO ONE on staff or in the castle all night. They called the front desk, and nobody answered as well.
3. This is just a warning to the owner. We went back the 3rd day because I lost my cell phone. We walked in, searched the entire place, found the phone, hung out for a while...saw no one. I don't know what happened by fluke with the last reviewer that said someone came and kicked him out, but I have no doubt you could walk out of there with about anything anytime. Not that I will, just saying: get better staff.
4. The hot tub on the roof is not open in the winter, the exercise room looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years, the grounds have potential to be beautiful but aren't.
5. There are no hot tubs in the rooms, just small jetted tubs inside the showers.

We didn't buy the dinner so I don't know how it is. Of course, there was no one there to ask if you wanted to find out about it. Overall, it could be a great place but hasn't been managed well enough to get there. From other review I have read it's the norm to have only a few couples there on any given night. Could be a good thing for guests; definitely not good for business.

Room Tip: Buy the cheapest room because you can probably upgrade because no one else is staying there.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank heidi i

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Nashville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Booked a room for one night at the hotel in celebration of our wedding anniversary. We stayed in one of the Royal Turret Suites which are two level rooms with a sitting room downstairs and bedroom upstairs and the cost was $866 for a Saturday night with dinner included. In order to keep this review short I will just list the good / bad and say that my wife did enjoy the experience which was my ultimate goal. I on the other hand was very disappointed and have a feeling my wife was just trying to make me feel better and make the best of the situation.

The Good-
-The Castle is beautiful and romantic.
-The common areas are tastefully decorated and a joy to tour.
-The room was very spacious with two balconies and flat screen TV's upstairs and downstairs. -The 5 course dinner that was included with the price of the room was phenomenal. The pistachio encrusted sea bass with caviar was unbelievable.

The Bad-
-The room was very poorly cleaned, there was dust on the furniture, mouse droppings in the cabinets, stains on the headboard that were caused by the A/C unit overhead dripping on it.
-The fireplace didn't work properly and we couldn't get enough heat out of the baseboard heaters to keep warm.
-There is only enough hot water to take 1 quick shower which is very disappointing as the rooms have very nice whirlpool baths that would be great for a relaxing bath.
-There was no hairdryer, wash cloths, glasses, ice bucket, iron or ironing board in the room.
-The King size bed only had three pillows.
-If you don't make it to the dining room at 9 am for breakfast you should plan on going out to eat. We arrived to breakfast at 9:50am only to find crumbs. We did get them to bring in some more coffee and were able to make due.
-Hot tub has obviously not worked in some time.
-No receipt at check out.
-For the money and based on my experience at other high end hotels I would say the customer service and house keeping at this property are terrible.

Room Tip: Get the cheapest room available. Get the dinner if it's available. Get to breakfast early.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Donald O
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

We decided to try a third visit, because the place is so special. We held a Princess themed party for our granddaughter and several friends and hired a singing Princess to entertain. They did a great job coordinating things and helping us. We tried very hard to be calm and out of there on time. We stayed the night with our kids and grandchild and had another splendid meal and delicious breakfast. This time, the room was impeccably clean and there was a gourmet goody basket in each room with delicious snacks and cookies. For the price of the room, that's a very good idea.

There still needs to be some work done on the amenities, such as the hot tub (not working) and the exercise room (skimpy) and I believe the pool was not draining properly as well. Maybe the ideal thing to do would be offer an exchange with a local gym/day passes, etc.

This is still a lovely place to spend a night, take some GREAT pictures, relax and dine well. I'm sure every place has a night when rowdy guests disrupt others. We just caught them on one of those nights. It's good to see they're trying to maintain the quality and uniqueness of the place and experience.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LLindaC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

This was our second visit. My first glowing review is on here at TripAdvisor.. We brought our son and his wife for a birthday and first anniversary celebration. We originally had planned to take them to Sonoma Valley, but they couldn't leave town. The priciest place where we stayed in California was almost half the price of our night here and much different.

I will start with food, which was definitely the best part. I was a bit surprised that for $580 a night they did not offer an appetizer spread. There was an open glass of mixed nuts on the bar. We had a bottle of wine in our room, but no snacks. Of course, there were no vending machines...but other bed and breakfast type places usually keep a supply of snacks, cookies, etc for guests. We came down for dinner at seven and were seated in a lovely dining room with five (?) tables. Our table was wobbling so badly that we had to switch seating.The other guests with children were seated in another area. That didn't keep their children from flying through our room a couple of times, screaming and brandishing swords ala Harry Potter. We had a delightful 5 course meal and I can honestly say that it was in the $200 range in service,taste, quality, and presentation. Before, we had banquet seating with the other guests. The Continental breakfast is a step above- they had several styles of muffins, breads, cereal , yogurt, fresh fruit, cold cuts, cheese and hardboiled eggs.The smoked salmon and herbed cream cheese were outstanding.

We arrived at around 4 pm and they were just finishing a Harry Potter themed birthday party. The children were in costume and were running through the castle making lots of noise. At first we were amused, not realizing that two families were staying with their unsupervised children. We enjoyed a cocktail in the back and played Bocce ball. The pool was not open yet, but in season is very nice. The hot tub in the turret on top is also not working (or filled).The other two turrets contain an empty bar and a tiny workout room with 4 machines and nothing else. The landscaping wasn't as nice as before, I noticed many weeds, no garden and few flowers. During our predinner time, we noticed that several small children were running through the castle, in the yard and in the game rooms screaming and yelling with no supervision at all. This went on all hours of the night and next day. At 10:40 I called the manager and asked them to please quiet the children in the next room who were screaming and jumping on the bed. I could not relax or sleep. Clearly, the parents and grandparents were enjoying the amenities while they let the children run wild. I am shocked that nobody in management spoke to them in advance about other guests, rules, discipline, etc.

We were packing when I realized my earring was missing. I looked under the elevated bed and saw a hair clip. dust, a fork, a carrot and some other type of foodstuff. Disgusting. It looked as if it hadn't been swept in some time. When we left at 11, nobody was in the castle at all. Nobody said goodbye, or asked us about our stay, etc. I have been treated better in a Red Roof Inn.

This is such a lovely property, but it is so poorly mismanaged that I can't imagine how they can charge these prices and give their guests such shabby treatment. We are world travelers, and I can say that this was one of the poorest excuses for a luxury experience I have ever received.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank LLindaC
FlyMeAnywhere, Manager at CastlePost, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
We sincerely appologize for the inconvenience of the childrens birthday party that was going on in the ballroom during your visit. Please know that management and staff made several attempts to keep the children under control and talk to the parents. We are very sorry that the lack of supervision by the parents had created an unpleasant experience for you. Please accept our sincere apologies.
Mansfield, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

I actually didn't stay at the castle post. So I can't give any inside knowledge of how the experience is. However, my experience with them in making a reservation was terrible. Knowing what I know now I am glad I did not stay at the hotel because I probably would have been very disappointed. After reading the other post it appears that their customer service is lacking and they are very overpriced. My problem is that I made a reservation for my anniversary to surprise my wife. She had been wanting to go there for many years. However, right after I made the reservation they charged my credit card. My wife saw the charge and the surprise was ruined. This is the only hotel that has ever charged my credit card before I actually stayed. And they did it two months before I even was scheduled to stay. I decided to cancel my reservation shortly after because the surprise was ruined and felt at the end of the day the hotel was too expensive anyway. That's just the start! Nearly two months later I still have not had my 442 dollars refunded!!!!!! I was told that the general manager had to refund the money and would do so. Another several weeks passed since then and still nothing! I have called and left many messages and emails to find out the status of my refund. They are never in the office and do not respond to their messages in a timely matter. Finally after several messages and emails I get a call back to hear that the general manager is not in and that he is the only one that can refund the money and that they aren't sure why he hasn't. This is just not right. This is extremely unprofessional. $440 is a lot of money to charge for a one night stay. If that is the going rate, then in return the customer should be treated like $440 dollars....not like crap...which is basically what they have done to me. My wife had been wanting to stay at this place for many years, but now I don't even think we will ever bother. It appears that this hotel does not pay much attention to detail and probably doesn't get very much business. I don't know...either that or they don't care about their customers. Maybe they should change their prices. I would rather make a reservation at motel 6 or the econo lodge. no offense to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank arthanial
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

I would like to start off saying that I would consider myself and my husband easy to please and always try to make the best out of our travel experiences. We have been fortunate in traveling to many hotels and B&B's over the years and unfortunately this was not one of our favorites.

Positives: All hotel professionals we came into contact with at the castle were pleasant and helpful. We were the only guests in this B&B which was a little odd, but they did upgrade us to a suite which we appreciated! The lobby was pretty and the scenery of the horse farms around the castle was beautiful.

Negatives: Due to the extremely high price of the rooms and the hype of the great food I expected top notch service, amenities, and room quarters.
1) Upon calling to reserve the room I asked for a confirmation of the reservation. I had to call and ask a second time, because they forgot to email it. When I finally received my email confirmation I asked a question and they never responded. Needless to say before I even entered the castle I had a bad taste in my mouth.

2) Upon entering the front door of the castle we noticed the 2 large flower planters knocked over and laying in the entry way. We walked around the grounds and noticed the rod iron gate to the pool knocked over and laying down. They also had basketball courts but the courts had no basketball poles. It appeared the grass had not been mowed recently. In all it just looked like the grounds had not been kept up well. It gave you a feeling like this property wasn't doing well.

3) Upon entering our suite we noticed there was no soap to wash our hands. When we asked for some the front office promptly told us the shipment for the soap hadn't come in yet and the only thing she found for us to use was a box of irish spring.
4) We pulled back the bedspread and found hair on the pillows and inside the sheets. This wasn't one or two hairs, but quite a few. Again, we notified the front office and they promptly moved us to the room across the hall. We again found a couple of hairs but decided to deal with it because we were tired. In any establishment cleanliness is number one, but you really don't expect something like this an upscale property like this.
5) I heard a lot of great things about the dinner and was looking forward to a memorable meal. From the information I recieved and the literature I read I was expecting a top notch meal considering it was $180 for 2 of us without tip or alchohol. I consider myself a foodie and was looking forward to an exquisite meal. Upon sitting down, we learned we would be the only guests dining in the resteraunt. Again, a little strange but we figured it would be a nice romantic evening. My husband does not drink, but I was looking forward to a wonderful glass of wine with my dinner. in their literature they say this is a wine inspired dinner so I assumed they would have many wines to choose from. The only choices I had is if I wanted a whole bottle. For wine by the glass my choices were a cabernet and chardonnay. I was stunned. When I asked where the Cab was from she brought out the bottle and it was obvious this was a cheap wine. Needless to say I ended up without drinking anything except water. Very dissapoitnting that a resteraunt that prides themselves on quality cannot even provide options for wine by the glass. The first course was one piece of so so sushi and a quail egg. 2nd course a tasty but tiny tomato bisque with tempura fried aspargus on top. Again, they said they will only use the freshest ingredients for the season. Aspargus is a spring vegetable not fall. Very strange. 3rd course 3 tiger shrimp with a roasted red pepper coulis and avocado served in a martini glass. To me this should have been chilled but the coulis was still a little warm. 4th course Beef Bourginion with 2 yummy roasted carrots and brussel sprouts and very heavy potato gratin. Palette cleanser of lemon sorbet and for dessert a very heavy chocolate pot de' creme and some petit fors. Overall the dinner was good, some parts were delicious, but I do believe this did not constitute the 90 price tag. It almost felt like they cut corners because the hotel was empty. However, when you pay that kind of money I expect the best and in my book this was false advertising and a complete rip off.
6) Upon checkout we requested a copy of the bill and she came out a with a little reciept. I asked her if we could have a copy of that and she looked around and said they don't have a copy machine. Ummm... you have got to be kidding me. When we walked out the front door the potted plants were still knocked over. I guess that kind of sums up our experience.

I wrote such a detailed review because I would like future guests to get a clear picture of what we experienced. This probably sounds a little crazy, but when you pay so much you expect the best and this was far from it. I hope the owner takes notice of the review and either reduces the prices so the standards don't have to be so high or they get their act together. Why pay this price when you can drive an hour west to Louisville and stay in one of the best hotels in the world the 21C for a lower price and much better food and service.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank WanderlustinCincy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

My husband surprised me with a stay for our anniversary. Unfortunately, we had to postpone our original reservation, but they gladly rebooked us. We have watched this behemoth being built for 30 years. It's past is checkered, to say the least. What a wonderful addition to Kentucky's travel repertoire to have this upscale, yet friendly and welcoming property available to all.

The Castle Post sits on 40 acres of land close to Lexington's airport and historic racetrack, Keeneland. The property has tennis courts, a large swimming pool, basketball court and fountain areas outside. On the top deck, there is a shuffleboard court. Indoors, there are several sitting areas, a library, a game room with plush reciiner chairs and large TV, a music room with piano, a banquet hall, a huge entry hall with a gorgeous staircase and a lovely dining room with low amber lighting. They operate a small bar in the lobby before dinner as well.

Before we arrived, we were sent a menu and asked to choose our dinner. The gourmet dinner is included in the room price. Upon checking in, the delightful manager Rob Thomale told us that the owner had expectations of this inn being more of a B&B atmosphere, where guests could dine together if they chose. They were expecting 5 couples for dinner and if anyone nixed the idea, we would eat separately. Luckily, we all agreed to banquet dining and we made 8 new great friends! Many of us were celebrating special events and we had a wonderful, lively dinner. The food and presentation were top notch.Chef Cameron Irvin graduated from Le Cordon Bleu in 1996, and worked work at the Woodstock Inn in Vermont.He worked with Hubert Keller at Club 19 at Pebble Beach. . He also worked in Paris, France for Philippe Groult at Amphycles, a Michelin three star restaurant. He worked in Monterey before returning to Lexington, his hometown. Obviously, the inn has invested much to portray this chef's talents and I expect that this will become a dining destination worthy of national acclaim. It was a dinner that ranks in my top 10. After dinner, I was allowed to play the piano ( my profession) and we had a rollicking singalong. Nothing stuffy about this place!

Our room was beautiful- a nice sitting area , a huge bed (very plush) and good shower head. L'Occitane products were available. The only drawback was the positioning of the TV. You didn't have a couch or chair, the only viewing was from the bed. The room was actually a bit small. I'm not complaining, though.

In the morning, I enjoyed a refreshing swim in the large, clean pool. There is also a hot tub on thetop deck.. Breakfast was Continental- juices, coffee, muffins, coffee cake and wonderful fresh fruit.

This is a perfect destinations for weddings, romantic weekends, etc. The staff is wonderful, the place is warm and inviting. We LOVED it!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LLindaC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Versailles
The Campbell House
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lexington Keeneland Airport
Hyatt Regency Lexington
Hyatt Regency Lexington
#7 of 71 in Lexington

Been to CastlePost? Share your experiences!