“The Castle Post”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of CastlePost

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Versailles
CastlePost
“The Castle Post”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I surprised my husband with a visit to the castle on our anniversary. He was so excited. I was too. I had read all of the reviews on trip advisor and was prepared for all that everyone was saying negatively and positively. I brought our own towels, sheets and blankets, dinner and appetizers. Basically, I made sure that we were prepared to be self-sufficient. I called the manager ahead of time to let him know about what people were saying so that they he could address issues if they needed to be addressed. He informed me that the pool is being serviced and would not be open for our stay. I was totally fine with that. He also kept in touch with me before we went through email and his cell phone. He gave us his cell phone number in case we needed anything. His cell phone number is also available on their website. I told him that I would touch base with him the week of the 4th of July to confirm that we would be there. I did just that and this is when he gave me his cell phone number.

When we arrived at the castle, we were not expecting anyone to greet us because I had already read this in a review. That review did not tell me that the keys to our room would probably be on the center table as you walk in. Anyway, when we arrived, we said hello a few times and a lady came out of the office to greet us. Our keys were at the table. She took us back to the office and we paid her in cash because of another review that someone had left.

We stayed in the "State Room", which is the room that costs $195. This is the least expensive room. If you go to www.thecastlepost.com, you will find pictures of the rooms. It shows that the room has a king-sized bed but they must have done some changes because the room had a circular bed. This was a little inconvenient because my husband is tall. His legs and feet hung off of the bed. We didn't complain about it. This is mainly why I give the review a 4 instead of a 5. I am sure that they would have upgraded us to another room like other people have said in their reviews. We just didn't want to go through the hassle. When it comes to customer service, I know that they want to please their customers because we did have a little incident with our food (we purchased from somewhere else) and they reimbursed us for the cost of our pizza.

My husband's favorite part of the trip was wandering around the castle freely. We started at the roof and worked our way down. He reminded me of a little kid in a scary movie while he was looking behind every door that was open. On the roof, behind the doors, he found a restroom, a hot tub, a bar and a workout room. It is extremely hot up there in most of the rooms. You have to remember that this is a castle and that there seems to be only one housekeeper. With that being said, there is no humanly way possible to clean everything everyday. So, on the roof, you will see lots of spiders and other insects along with birds just like they show in those scary movies.

As far as the inside of the castle goes, it seems to be cleaned on a regular basis. The grounds are kept nice and neat like the photos that you will see online. The pond with the dragon in it has green in it, but what pond doesn't? We did have a chance to visit the towers connected to the outside walls. These are the most expensive rooms. At the present moment, these rooms are not available for rent because of a hot water issue. These rooms have two levels. They are very nice and romantic.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the castle. On the day of check out, we did see the manager, who happens to be from the same city that we are from. He is very nice and talkative. He has an outgoing personality. We really enjoyed talking to him.

Room Tip: This is not a hotel so if you expect what you get from a hotel, then don't go. The castle is gre...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eyeonthesparrow

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Echols, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

my experince at the castle post was very good this sunday. very quiet, cozy and romantic. It was a wonderful place to stay for our wedding anniversary. The hotel manager was very nice and talkative to us. I enjoyed that we pretty much had the castle to ourselves.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jerrod M
Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Please, if you are planning on staying at the Castle, read this post! It will save you a lot of money, time, aggravation, etc. First let me begin by saying that I was a huge fan of the castle. I have lived in Lexington all my life (I am 37) and have always wanted to see inside the walls of the mysterious castle. All the rumors, folklore that surrounded it were hard to resist. I kept every newspaper clipping or story I could find, in a file I still have, telling of the tales and progress of this cool Kentucky landmark.

I decided my new bride and I would stay at the Castle for our wedding night accommodations before we left for our honeymoon. Of course, I got the best suite (a corner turret) for our special occasion. Finally after all these years, I got to drive into the walls of the Castle! Being a Winchester gal, she was so excited too!!

We arrived around midnight after a very long day. I decided to drive her thru the backloads of Kentucky along Old Frankfort then Pisgah Pike. The approach was wonderful, driving thru the gates was something I had been waiting to do my entire life. We were greeted by the innkeeper and led thru the courtyard to our suite. Then the nightmare began.

The suite has two doors, one that exits into the courtyard and one that puts you outside the castle walls. Upon entering we were told the main door (to the courtyard) doesn't work and we would have to walk outside and allllll the way around to get back inside the Castle. Ok, small inconvenience. The innkeeper left and we immediately headed for the shower. Disgusting!! The shower was covered in mildew and looked as though it hadn't been cleaned since the Dark Ages! Another small inconvenience. After all, it's our wedding night. We can't let little things ruin our night. Wrong! Next, and most important...NO HOT WATER!! At either of the two showers in the suite. Then we went to call the front desk and surprise, the phone in the room doesn't even work! Not to mention the layers of bugs, gunk and filth coming from under the upstairs bedroom!

When we finally reached the hotel's desk via cell phone, two gentlemen came to the suite, turned on the sink faucet and declared the hot water worked. Now, as an owner of a construction company, as well as a real estate re-development company, I would like to think I know how to ascertain whether or not the hot water works. After arguing with what I can only assume was the maintenance-man, he declared that the hot water heater was broken! Broken!! Even though hot water came from the sink, but not from the shower. What a dunce!!

We were told that another suite might be empty but the bed wasn't made and they could "uh, I guess, we could make the bed or something." Fair readers, making the bed in a hotel isn't the issue...changing the bed is the issue. They were planning on making the bed, without changing the sheets, and that's worth five-plus bills a night!?! Yuck!!

After waiting for about 15 minutes for dumb and dumber to fumble around trying to come up with a solution, we packed up our things and left. I called Gratz Park, relayed my story and asked if they had any spots open. As luck would have it, their signature Mansion Room was available so we took it!!

I left about five messages trying to get someone, anyone, to call me back so I could relay the problems we had at the Castle of Filth. My message said that although they have lost me as a lifelong patron, perhaps if I could explain the problems then management could fix them and retain future guests. Not one phone call back! I even told them that we rent to several florists, event planners, a cake maker and two wedding photographers, and that it would be in their best interest to call me before I relayed my story to them. Nothing!

Fact is, Castle Crap doesn't care. The accommodations are cheaply decorated, staff is incompetent, the rooms are filthy and nothing works. I've stayed at nicer roach motels! Do not stay at the Castle...read the other reviews! Nobody has anything good to say about this dump!!

Room Tip: Stay at Gratz Park...if you're going to spend the money, at least do it at a place that's wo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank pumba100
Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

I booked this Bed & Breakfast for a special night out for my parent's when they came to visit us at Christmas.
Pros:
1. They got an automatic upgrade on the room b/c no one else was staying there.
2. The castle is beautiful, and it's a fun experience that you won't find anywhere else.
3. Even though we didn't stay for the night, we got to see the room, check out the castle, and pretty much have the run of the place the next day to hang out in the billiards room playing pool.
4. According to my parents, the beds were totally comfortable and well worth the night as opposed to the futon in our guest room.
Cons:
1. Bad service. Actually, no service. The guy that answers the phone does not make you feel like you want to spend $2500-$1,000 staying there. He is curt and impolite.
2. Did I say no service? My parents' room did not lock well, they wanted some bottled water, and there was NO ONE on staff or in the castle all night. They called the front desk, and nobody answered as well.
3. This is just a warning to the owner. We went back the 3rd day because I lost my cell phone. We walked in, searched the entire place, found the phone, hung out for a while...saw no one. I don't know what happened by fluke with the last reviewer that said someone came and kicked him out, but I have no doubt you could walk out of there with about anything anytime. Not that I will, just saying: get better staff.
4. The hot tub on the roof is not open in the winter, the exercise room looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years, the grounds have potential to be beautiful but aren't.
5. There are no hot tubs in the rooms, just small jetted tubs inside the showers.

We didn't buy the dinner so I don't know how it is. Of course, there was no one there to ask if you wanted to find out about it. Overall, it could be a great place but hasn't been managed well enough to get there. From other review I have read it's the norm to have only a few couples there on any given night. Could be a good thing for guests; definitely not good for business.

Room Tip: Buy the cheapest room because you can probably upgrade because no one else is staying there.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank heidi i
Nashville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Booked a room for one night at the hotel in celebration of our wedding anniversary. We stayed in one of the Royal Turret Suites which are two level rooms with a sitting room downstairs and bedroom upstairs and the cost was $866 for a Saturday night with dinner included. In order to keep this review short I will just list the good / bad and say that my wife did enjoy the experience which was my ultimate goal. I on the other hand was very disappointed and have a feeling my wife was just trying to make me feel better and make the best of the situation.

The Good-
-The Castle is beautiful and romantic.
-The common areas are tastefully decorated and a joy to tour.
-The room was very spacious with two balconies and flat screen TV's upstairs and downstairs. -The 5 course dinner that was included with the price of the room was phenomenal. The pistachio encrusted sea bass with caviar was unbelievable.

The Bad-
-The room was very poorly cleaned, there was dust on the furniture, mouse droppings in the cabinets, stains on the headboard that were caused by the A/C unit overhead dripping on it.
-The fireplace didn't work properly and we couldn't get enough heat out of the baseboard heaters to keep warm.
-There is only enough hot water to take 1 quick shower which is very disappointing as the rooms have very nice whirlpool baths that would be great for a relaxing bath.
-There was no hairdryer, wash cloths, glasses, ice bucket, iron or ironing board in the room.
-The King size bed only had three pillows.
-If you don't make it to the dining room at 9 am for breakfast you should plan on going out to eat. We arrived to breakfast at 9:50am only to find crumbs. We did get them to bring in some more coffee and were able to make due.
-Hot tub has obviously not worked in some time.
-No receipt at check out.
-For the money and based on my experience at other high end hotels I would say the customer service and house keeping at this property are terrible.

Room Tip: Get the cheapest room available. Get the dinner if it's available. Get to breakfast early.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Donald O
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

We decided to try a third visit, because the place is so special. We held a Princess themed party for our granddaughter and several friends and hired a singing Princess to entertain. They did a great job coordinating things and helping us. We tried very hard to be calm and out of there on time. We stayed the night with our kids and grandchild and had another splendid meal and delicious breakfast. This time, the room was impeccably clean and there was a gourmet goody basket in each room with delicious snacks and cookies. For the price of the room, that's a very good idea.

There still needs to be some work done on the amenities, such as the hot tub (not working) and the exercise room (skimpy) and I believe the pool was not draining properly as well. Maybe the ideal thing to do would be offer an exchange with a local gym/day passes, etc.

This is still a lovely place to spend a night, take some GREAT pictures, relax and dine well. I'm sure every place has a night when rowdy guests disrupt others. We just caught them on one of those nights. It's good to see they're trying to maintain the quality and uniqueness of the place and experience.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LLindaC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

This was our second visit. My first glowing review is on here at TripAdvisor.. We brought our son and his wife for a birthday and first anniversary celebration. We originally had planned to take them to Sonoma Valley, but they couldn't leave town. The priciest place where we stayed in California was almost half the price of our night here and much different.

I will start with food, which was definitely the best part. I was a bit surprised that for $580 a night they did not offer an appetizer spread. There was an open glass of mixed nuts on the bar. We had a bottle of wine in our room, but no snacks. Of course, there were no vending machines...but other bed and breakfast type places usually keep a supply of snacks, cookies, etc for guests. We came down for dinner at seven and were seated in a lovely dining room with five (?) tables. Our table was wobbling so badly that we had to switch seating.The other guests with children were seated in another area. That didn't keep their children from flying through our room a couple of times, screaming and brandishing swords ala Harry Potter. We had a delightful 5 course meal and I can honestly say that it was in the $200 range in service,taste, quality, and presentation. Before, we had banquet seating with the other guests. The Continental breakfast is a step above- they had several styles of muffins, breads, cereal , yogurt, fresh fruit, cold cuts, cheese and hardboiled eggs.The smoked salmon and herbed cream cheese were outstanding.

We arrived at around 4 pm and they were just finishing a Harry Potter themed birthday party. The children were in costume and were running through the castle making lots of noise. At first we were amused, not realizing that two families were staying with their unsupervised children. We enjoyed a cocktail in the back and played Bocce ball. The pool was not open yet, but in season is very nice. The hot tub in the turret on top is also not working (or filled).The other two turrets contain an empty bar and a tiny workout room with 4 machines and nothing else. The landscaping wasn't as nice as before, I noticed many weeds, no garden and few flowers. During our predinner time, we noticed that several small children were running through the castle, in the yard and in the game rooms screaming and yelling with no supervision at all. This went on all hours of the night and next day. At 10:40 I called the manager and asked them to please quiet the children in the next room who were screaming and jumping on the bed. I could not relax or sleep. Clearly, the parents and grandparents were enjoying the amenities while they let the children run wild. I am shocked that nobody in management spoke to them in advance about other guests, rules, discipline, etc.

We were packing when I realized my earring was missing. I looked under the elevated bed and saw a hair clip. dust, a fork, a carrot and some other type of foodstuff. Disgusting. It looked as if it hadn't been swept in some time. When we left at 11, nobody was in the castle at all. Nobody said goodbye, or asked us about our stay, etc. I have been treated better in a Red Roof Inn.

This is such a lovely property, but it is so poorly mismanaged that I can't imagine how they can charge these prices and give their guests such shabby treatment. We are world travelers, and I can say that this was one of the poorest excuses for a luxury experience I have ever received.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank LLindaC
FlyMeAnywhere, Manager at CastlePost, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
We sincerely appologize for the inconvenience of the childrens birthday party that was going on in the ballroom during your visit. Please know that management and staff made several attempts to keep the children under control and talk to the parents. We are very sorry that the lack of supervision by the parents had created an unpleasant experience for you. Please accept our sincere apologies.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Versailles
The Campbell House
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lexington Keeneland Airport
Hyatt Regency Lexington
Hyatt Regency Lexington
#7 of 71 in Lexington

Been to CastlePost? Share your experiences!