“Unique Experience”
Review of CastlePost

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Versailles
CastlePost
Martin, Tennessee
“Unique Experience”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I made our way to the great state of Kentucky to stay here. When the castle first comes into view you simply feel exuberant.

We have looked forward to staying here for a long time. I booked us a nice "Majestic" suite. It turned out to be a corner turret suite in the main building. The room had been freshly remodeled and was well appointed.

Privacy is a key word here. You get a lot of it with an overnight stay in the castle. So much so that the place seems like they handed you the keys and said "Here, have fun"!

You hardly ever see staff or employees while there-which suited us just fine. For those that like to have someone around, a concierge, may I help you person, or even a maid to ask a question or two...maybe you should rethink your stay.

I read up on the castle a great deal before our trip and knew that there would be nobody to greet us. Many reviews said that your room card is simply laying on the welcome podium with your name on it as you enter the front door. That is what we encountered. I was on my way in with my third trip of luggage and suit bags when we ran into a nice lady that worked there. None of this was a big deal. We actually enjoyed it.

It boggled me that such a nice place would have so many off the wall reviews, so I emailed to ask a few questions and seek some reassurrance a few weeks before our visit. I received no reply after two attepts.

I called them and explained that I was a travel writer and ended up speaking with the owner on the phone. We had a good candid chat and we decided to meet when we arrived for our stay.

Fair enough...

The building and grounds are nice. It IS a castle, so there is a lot of the color gray. Landscaping, fountains, gates, and railings have given somewhat into to time. It gives the place some aged character that makes it feel more real and homey as opposed to a movie set in Kentucky.

Things like the roof, some walls, the elevator, and guest rooms are undergoing renovations. The place is a work in progress. The inside is picturesque. Mr. Post has had items from different places around the world brought in to accent the building. I like worldly touches and international flavor.

Mr. Post ended up canceling on us and instead we met with the events coordinator/manager. She was well informed and had a good grasp of her job especially considering that she had not been there that long.

They had been steered in a direction in years prior that seemed to cause many problems. Things that ranged from local city/county ordinances, being short staffed, and a facility that has been difficult to maintain all seemed to take the place off mission.

They have some people in place that care and are trying their best. This was evident.
They have a ways to go and time will tell how successful they are. We did enjoy our stay.

Dinner...That was the big slam that I kept seeing in reviews. I was very nervous about taking my girlfriend to dinner here after the things that I had read. I had considered taking her somewhere nice in Lexington but in the end decided to take a chance at the castle.

There were about 15 people eating there when we arrived. The dining room is not as well decorated as other rooms. We were seated and began our experience.
The level of ambiance, sophistication, and elitism that the castle's website and brochure seem to portray do not quite show up at the dinner service.

I honestly want to give this place a fair shake but at the same time do not want to be dishonest. For the prices that the restaurant part charge, the food is substandard. It is ok in quality, I suppose, but has vast room for improvement.

I walked into the kitchen earlier in the day to strike up a conversation with the chef/cooks. I walked away disappointed in both what I saw and in our talk.

I would eat in Lexington if we stayed here again.

In the meantime, you are staying in a CASTLE. That definitely has cool points and causes people to question the honesty of your story when you explain what you did over the weekend. My girlfriend and I danced on the roof top to our favorite slow songs under a bright Kentucky moon. She is now my wife. Magical evenings are what you make of them.

Bottom line here...Do your homework, take your girl on a romantic night there, stay in a nice room, and enjoy exploring. It is not the Lourve, the Biltmore, or the White House so do not expect that. It definitely is it's own thing, but that is the definition of unique.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Carthage D

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
California, Kentucky
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This is a very unique Bed and Breakfast. The castle experience was great. When we arrived they had already upgraded our room for us. We had driven past this castle for years and it was really fantastic to actually get to see the inside and spend the night! Very quiet, the whole castle is open for your use. We stayed in October so the swimming pool was closed. They have a tennis court, basketball court, card/billiard room, music room, library, etc. . .

The only drawback. In the morning there was no breakfast available so we left. It was 8:30, When I double-checked our resrevation e-mail at home I discovered that the breakfast was served between 9 and noon.

Room Tip: Check the time for breakfast when checking in.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RitaR629
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Our stay at the Castle Post was amazing! It is most beautiful. We were in awe as we toured the facility. There are some many wonderful things to see. I really felt like a modern day princess. Chelsea was an excellent hostess. I loved everything.....even the soap was wonderful. Chelsea really knows how to make the guests feel welcome! I can't wait to stay there again. It is the most beautiful get away -----greater than I could ever imagine. We had room 103- the grand room! It is close to the main entrance and the dining room. It is also close to the billiards room!

Room Tip: Several rooms downstairs. Close to everything!! Great for people with disabilities--I had an injury...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Valari J
Versailles, Kentucky
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We went for the recent "Castlevania" and it was an awesome experience for a Halloween party! The Castle is small, 2 floors and you feel more like you are in someone's home. The turret room was outstanding, which we got as a free upgrade, but the jet tub didn't work and coffee pot dirty. Beds were great but staff is scarce but attentive when you can find them. Due to our event, the restaurant was closed. The appetizers served at the event were not good...For $40 a person and a cash bar, we expected more. Continental breakfast was barely edible but the dining room is gorgeous! If they can upgrade food and some minor attention to details, this is a gold mine! Looking forward to going at least once in warm weather and enjoy pool, tennis courts and bocce. Will probably eat elsewhere, tho!

Room Tip: The turret rooms have a separate sitting room...larger walk-in closet than the grand room. But you...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Moreheadtraveler
Trafalgar, Indiana
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were the only 3 couples in the resort and enjoyed it very much. The staff were all very nice and the rooms were large and comfortable. Since we were the only ones present, we were upgraded to corner rooms that were very nice. The recreational area at night was a fun place to unwind also. Also a great location very close to the Keeneland race track and many restaurants. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Get a corner room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank keithbryant
Hurricane, West Virginia
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Went here on our anniversary , very nice, meal was great, but you don't have to include it in your stay. They will upgrade room, if available . Romantic , lots of things to do. Probably the best room we have stayed in, very friendly, helpful, relaxing

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tim R
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Pretty place n horse country do not waste your money there. The food was really bad the service matched. I have stayed at several bed and breakfast this one was the most expensive but the worst.I have had better breakfast at the Holiday Inn!!! I was there for my daughter's birthday the amenities that say they are not available what disappoint and very misleading. The customer service needs training class or two. I should offer my services at least half off.

• Stayed June 2013
8 Thank royalmel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Versailles
The Campbell House
#12 of 71 in Lexington
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#44 of 71 in Lexington

Been to CastlePost? Share your experiences!