“Wonderful cab ride”

Bluegrass Scenic Railroad and Museum
Ranked #7 of 22 things to do in Versailles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Museum owns 5.5 miles of track, from just west of Versailles, to the bluff overlooking the Kentucky River. Young's High Bridge, also known as the Tyrone High Bridge, continues across the river to the Anderson County side. Each Saturday and Sunday between late Spring and early Fall, the train departs the station at 2 pm for a 90 minute long ride. Currently the train travels to the end of the track, at the edge of the Young's High Bridge. Passengers may disembark to view the top of the bridge and the surrounding scenery. Upon re-boarding, the train returns to the station. We have several types of Special Events throughout the year, to help garner interest in our Museum!
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I reserved the cab ride on June 14th to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary and couldn't have have been happier with our decision. The engineer was great, and we thoroughly enjoyed the entire trip and the museum. The volunteers at this small railroad have spent a lot of time and money restoring their equipment, and we found the trip each way to be very enjoyable as we passed through the beautiful Kentucky horse farms. We enjoyed getting off the train at the end of the line and having our pictures taken with the long wooden trestle behind us. There was plenty of time for anyone that wanted to have their pictures taken at the front of the engine before time to get back on board for the trip back to the station. Although the engine pushes the train back to the station, I enjoyed watching the rails behind us on the return trip.We were able to video tape the trip and took many nice pictures. The ride was both relaxing and enjoyable, and we highly recommend it and the museum to anyone in the area.

1  Thank DeniseIN

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We took the train trip in April 2014 and it was excellent for children. It was a 1/2 hour trip each way with a stop at the end of the line at a huge bridge. Everyone can disembark the train at the bridge and walk around and even climb on the front of the engine for pictures. The bridge is going to be used for bungee jumping. The conductor comes around with balloons for the kids and makes animals,swords,hats etc. It keeps the kids entertained. All the kids even get to blow the whistle on the train. A younger really friendly man in his 30s or 40s talks about the train line history on the trip. A good train trip to take with children !

2  Thank Flyboy2017
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I'm a life-long Kentuckian with no post-secondary education, a "trades" background and a vocabulary which regularly includes double negatives and use of the word "ain't. In other words, I have no sense of cultural superiority from which to make the following statement:

The Christmas train was "Bush League" to the point that I felt sorry for all involved (passengers and staff) particularaly the passengers. To compound matters the train was unable to make it up a minor grade and some of us ended up walking to a school bus which transported us to our vehicles. We drove back to the train to retrieve spouses, the elderly and small children.

I am still amazed that contingency plans were not in place. I was so happy to get off that train that I didn't even ask for a refund

3  Thank Greg C
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I have been wanting to do the Christmas train for a couple of years. This year I took my 3 grandkids( 4, 6, and 8) and rode the train. It was TERRIBLE. Not at all what I expected. Boarded the train, pulled from the station, went forward at approx. 5 mph for about 40 minutes, stopped, went backwards back to the station. BORING. Other than when Santa and Mrs Claus visited our car, we just sat there, bored. Several kids on the train went to sleep!! And there are no bathroom facilities!
I will give credit to Santa and Mrs. Claus, they were great!

2  Thank sdonnac40601
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

My son who absolutely loves trains was bored. That took some real effort. We hoped to learn a thing or two about trains, history, or the area. But no.

The man reading the written script sounded drunk and did not speak into his microphone. We could not hear a word he said. He was worse outside describing the scenic bridge. They have you disembark to see the bridge and then a slurring old man reads from a three ring binder. I get that the peolple operating the trains are volunteers but geez, we paid a decent price for the trip. At least have someone who can speak read the script.

There was a lot of confusion as to where to sit. We were directed to first class by mistake and got yelled at by another crabby old guy. Nice.

Only go on this trip if you wear Depends. There are no bathroom and you are on board for 90 minutes.

I do not recommend.