“A Corner of Heaven”
Review of A Storybook Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Versailles
A Storybook Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Versailles B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I cannot recommend a stay at A Storybook Inn enough. We had our small, private wedding ceremony at A Storybook at the beginning of this month, and from start to finish, the entire experience was a dreamy, stress-free, BEAUTIFUL affair!

Even though I have driven past A Storybook Inn thousands of times (it is 15 minutes from my hometown), staying there really does feel like a wonderful escape into genteel, Southern elegance and hospitality at its finest.

I have stayed at hotels in Chicago, New York and Vegas: A Storybook Inn is unequivocally the most beautiful, relaxing, and well-maintained place I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. We booked one of the wedding packages at A Storybook Inn months ago, and from first touring the grounds to the morning after the wedding, the entire experience was fabulous. Elise and her staff (Sara, Grace, and Veronica) are the kindest, most gracious and lovely group of women you will ever hope to meet. I think I hugged half of them by the time we left.

Because of Elise's organization and her and her staff's willingness and ability to accommodate our needs and wants, the venue and event-planning for the wedding was actually the most relaxed and stress-free part of it all! Elise has her personal 'approved vendor' list: we trusted all of her recommendations, and they were as organized, professional and kind as she was (e.g., makeup/hair stylist; photographer; floral arrangements; even the restaurant the night of the wedding). I noticed that all of the vendors visibility brightened up and WANTED to do our tiny wedding after hearing Elise's name and A Storybook Inn as the venue (there's a lot of credibility to Elise's reputation as well as her inn's).

We stayed at the suite, Somewhere In Time, based off of the Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour movie. The suite is enormous, and the most luxurious, elegant, gorgeous corner of heaven you could dream up. Everything was spotless and sparkling clean; the attention put into every aspect of the rooms' decor is so readily apparent. And while the suite was huge and sumptuous, it also had a cozy, comforting aspect: I just wanted to curl up in the seated bay window and read a book while overlooking the grounds.

The food and the staff will also make you feel pampered and indulged. I loved waking up to the smell of homemade pastries baking every morning, or finding delicious fresh-baked treats waiting both afternoons in our suite (ohmygosh those gluten-free brownies topped with walnuts and Ghirardelli chocolate chips!). Elise prides herself on her "skip lunch" breakfasts made with local, top-quality and healthful ingredients - and she has every right to! We were stuffed to bursting both mornings (yes, we skipped lunches) after feasting on scones, muffins, fresh fruit parfaits, and egg entrees. As mentioned earlier, Elise acommodates dietary requests, DELICIOUSLY. I requested gluten-free items, and I reasonably expected to be served fruits or vegetable sticks for snacks. I cannot rave enough about the LUSCIOUS gluten-free baked goods that Elise and her staff treated me to! Banana-walnut muffins with cream cheese frosting, fudgy brownies, blueberry scones, oh my!

We really did not want to leave A Storybook Inn on the last morning! Even my husband, a big-city, nightlife kind of guy, LOVED staying at the Inn and enjoying viewing the natural beauty of the Bluegrass State from our luxurious perch. We cannot wait to return, and already plan to visit for our future anniversaries.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Storybook Inn to celebrate my graduation for my M.S. degree and our 2 year anniversary. We stayed in the Gone with the Wind suite and could not have been more pleased. The room was warm, cozy and ridiculously clean. The inn keeper Elise was WONDERFUL!! From the beautiful decor to our perfectly prepared meals, nothing else could have been done to improve our magnificent stay in beautiful Versailles. We will definitely be returning, and would recommend this magical spot to anyone seeking a cozy, romantic getaway. Thank you Storybook Inn for a fantastic weekend!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed in the largest suite and could not have been more pleased. This is the nicest, cleanest, and most beautiful place we have stayed. Elise has done a wonderful job of providing southern hospitality and charm. This place is unmatched in beauty and in service. If I could rate it a 6 out of 5 I would.

I cannot put into words the experience we had. The breakfast was exquisite, the grounds are beautiful, and the service was first class. It is a great value even at the higher than average cost for a B&B. Unfortunately, if you stay here, everything else going forward will pale by comparison. The rooms are well decorated, and in great condition. To keep a place like this so clean is a feat in itself, but they manage to do it perfectly.

The surrounding areas of Versailles and Midway are a step back in time and charm. There is so much to do and experience. I struggle to truly give any place a 5, and this is the tops.

Room Tip: "Somewhere in Time" is the master suite, and unmatched in quality.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drdeger
Elise B, Owner at A Storybook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear (D and A),
I had a great time with you two! I enjoyed hearing of your European travels and thought of our conversation today when I looked at the "Sleeping Lion" statue in the office.
I sincerely look forward to having you come visit us again.
And thank you so very much for your very kind, heartfelt words.
They are very meaningful to us. I printed them out to show our staff
who are always so grateful that their hard work is not left unnoticed.

Many blessings to you...until next time!
Elise

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We were very lucky to have found this wonderful inn. Friends had suggested others in the Bardstown area, but they were not available. So I looked closer to Lexington and after reading the reviews for this inn, I booked 3 nights for my husband and me to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Words just can't express what a wonderful time we had here. They have such attention to detail and hospitality. Elise was taking an "inn keepers holiday" and she had Susan and Jim handling the day to day operation in her absence; they were awesome hosts. The house is beautiful and well appointed without feeling old or stogy. Our breakfasts wouldn't have been better at a Four Season Hotel. We hope to be blessed with a return visit soon!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cindy_H7740
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The Inn was fantastic from the grounds, to the decor, to the rooms, to the breakfast. Delicious and absolutey filling, looked forward to it each morning.The innkeepers were so warm and wonderful and the Inn was immaculately maintained. A great location for a little getaway, yet convenient to nearby Lexington. Would come back for sure! It is too wonderful to describe every fine detail!

Room Tip: We stayed in Casablanca, but all of the rooms are beautiful!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy D
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This b & b is spectacularly beautiful, thoughtfully decorated, and the breakfasts were gourmet quality and beautifully presented.

However, due to a reservation glitch, we learned that the Storybook team is unfamiliar with service recovery. Seems our credit card info caused computer security to go into overdrive and sent our request via secure document into a spam folder. When we arrived they weren't expecting us and couldn't accommodate our entire party - 3 rooms - for the 4 nights we thought we'd reserved. Much effort went into trying to figure out what happened (This has never happened before! did you bring a copy of your confirmation? can you show us the email?) including presenting us with a copy of a security spam email during breakfast the next morning (I was so over the issue by then). In an effort to fix the problem, we were offered cookies and when requested Elise did book us at another b & b (nowhere near the quality of Storybook and commented "well at least you'll save money there.")

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hjstuart
Elise B, Owner at A Storybook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

To say I was stunned to get this "review" would be accurate. Except for one fraudulent review, we ave never gotten any negative reviews.

I appreciate the lovely things this reviewer said about the Inn but feel the derogatory comments unnecessary and not accurate, perhaps inadvertently so.

Though we would have loved to have hosted this family the entire time, the guest never had a reservation on the books at any time.

She had sent an email that did NOT go to SPAM as she wrote, but to our regular email. It was from a company that we did not recognize and it was encrypted and we needed a code and password to open it.

We get SCAM emails frequently and though in fear of downloading a virus, I clicked on the link and was instructed to put in a code to open the email. I had no idea what the whole thing was about, as it mentioned no one's name and I quickly closed out the link, thinking it must be a phishing scam.

The reviewer wrote:
"However, due to a reservation glitch, we learned that the Storybook team is unfamiliar with service recovery. Seems our credit card info caused computer security to go into overdrive and sent our request via secure document into a spam folder."

The above is not accurate. I tried to explain it to the guest but for whatever reason, she did not want to listen or see the facts presented.

She and her family showed up with no reservation, no confirmation and there was not three rooms to be had for 4 nights. They did stay 2 nights and I called and got them reservations for the remaining two nights at an inn that she told me that she had wanted in the first place but could not book all the nights there herself.

She wrote: "When we arrived they weren't expecting us and couldn't accommodate our entire party - 3 rooms - for the 4 nights we thought we'd reserved. Much effort went into trying to figure out what happened (This has never happened before! did you bring a copy of your confirmation? can you show us the email?) including presenting us with a copy of a security spam email during breakfast the next morning (I was so over the issue by then)."

Obviously, from her "review," she was not "over it" at all.

She wrote: "In an effort to fix the problem, we were offered cookies and when requested Elise did book us at another b & b (nowhere near the quality of Storybook and commented "well at least you'll save money there.")

The B&B that I offered to call was the B&B she said she wanted in the first place but could not get in.

We did not offer cookies to fix anything, we have homemade snacks for all our guests in the afternoon and though we had no record of a reservation for them, we did everything we could to help, though we were treated as if we had made a negligent error. We genuinely felt absolutely terrible for them but their situation was in no way caused by any negligence on our part.

She wrote: "In any case, the lesson learned is that we will always reconfirm if booking and communicating on line. Sadly, this overshadowed our impression of an otherwise beautiful b & b and gracious staff."

"Reconfirm?" There was no confirmation to reconfirm. It was a very unfortunate thing to have happened, and though we were very empathetic to their plight, it was not through any fault of ours.

We are a very gracious staff, as she wrote in her review. We take customer service very serious, as our other reviewers show, and we are not computer illiterate as she seemed to suggest.

We would never have wanted anything like this to have happened to any guests. Had she booked online on our secure reservation system or secured a booking via phone to our office (she did call initially to inquire and said she would get back with me but she did not call back), this all could have been avoided.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Far and away the best stay and hospitality we've ever experienced. The Inn itself is an absolute showplace in every respect - down to the most minute detail. Elise and her staff could not possibly have been more friendly, accommodating, considerate and hospitable. We felt welcomed and very comfortable throughout our two-day stay in the Huntsman's Chase Guesthouse with delicious breakfasts and pastry snacks that defy imagination and adequate appreciative description. It was very clear to us from the moment we arrived that A Storybook Inn was a very special place that had been very carefully conceived and designed by Elise to be elegant, beautiful and appealing, yet comfortable and fully functional. We found ourselves to be in awe the further and harder we looked; the details implemented by Elise were virtually everywhere, at every level. I titled this review Incredible!; however, our stay was much, much more than that, it was a travel experience we'll remember very fondly forever and vow to repeat. We heartily recommend A Storybook Inn to the most discerning travelers and feel confident they'll feel exactly the way we do about the Inn, Elise, Veronica, Sara and Grace. Thank you for one of the best times of our lives.

Room Tip: Each room is beautiful and has a theme, but because we were traveling with another couple we opted t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pat W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Versailles
The Campbell House, A Curio Collection by Hilton
#3 of 7 in Versailles
Chateau Annette
Chateau Annette
#5 of 6 in Lexington

Been to A Storybook Inn? Share your experiences!