“Piece Of Heaven”
Review of A Storybook Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Versailles
A Storybook Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Versailles B&B and Inns
Roanoke, Virginia
“Piece Of Heaven”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

What a wonderful find. This is a beautiful old classic home with rooms to feel pampered in. We stayed in Somewhere In Time Suite and hated to leave. Elise had the best breakfasts each morning-enough to have us skip lunch. When we got back in afternoon after touring horse farms there was always a fresh snack waiting in room for us. I would highly recommend staying here. We plan to get back again. We felt so at home and pampered.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Crestwood, Kentucky
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We were in the area for a friend's milestone birthday, and my wife and I, along with 2 other couples had the pleasure of staying at Storybook. We stayed in the Guesthouse, and our expectations were thoroughly exceeded. Clean is an understatement. It felt as though we stepped into a copy of Southern Living. Elise and her staff were wonderful, and we were amazed at all the extra touches that made our short stay so great. We will definitely return. Thanks!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dave K
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 16 March 2014

[Stayed 03/14/14 -03/16/14]

Whatever expectations you bring with you upon arrival at A Storybook Inn, they will all be exceeded!

- The property is far more beautiful than any of the online pictures let on.
- Elise and her staff are far more precise, professional, friendly, capable and surpassing than any review could convey.
-The rooms (we stayed in Somewhere in Time) are larger and far more sumptuous than one can attempt to put in to words.
-The breakfast (OH MY GOODNESS, THE BREAKFAST) occupies a place so high in the stratosphere, as one begins to understand why angels and harps appear upon setting that first fork upon the palette.

However, our favorite feature is the quietness. The Storybook Inn, while a short 15 minutes from everywhere we visited (Arboretum, Kentucky Horse Farm, Lexington Opera, Woodford Reserve) in the Lexington area, is the most serene weekend we have ever experienced in my 10 year relationship with my wife.

The grounds are vast, with more than enough space to walk, explore and photograph. One has no chance of hearing even a car unless it is one of the few that come down the driveway to check-in. The common areas are tastefully decorated, and include a library, sitting room, dining room, foyer and conservatory (i'll get back to that space in a moment) -- all of which, even when occupied, seem to contain the acoustics of whatever is going on in them within their given space. While in the suite, there were times when we were convinced we where the only people in the hotel. Not the only "guests," the only PEOPLE! How very wonderful it was.

Taking breakfast each morning in the glass-enclosed conservatory was divine. Elise's breakfast creativity and execution cannot be beat. We are vegetarians and, upon confirming our reservation, every dietary concern were may have had was discussed, addressed and surpassed -- all without our having to bring up the subject.

No alarm clock needed in this place: The smell of fresh organic quiche, lemon waffles, applewood bacon (yes, we are vegetarians, but not crazy. Bacon smells delicious!) and ricotta/blackberry crepes will do the trick. Both mornings of our stay it was the smell of that exalted food which beckoned me from my slumber. All of which delivered on the promise.

The bright, airy and classically Southern decor of the conservatory paired perfectly with the morning's offerings. The numerous bird feeders on the grounds made for great bird-watching during the meal (I spotted at least 9 different species in two days), and the polite conversation of the other guests double-down on the charm of the place.

As stated in the opening: Whatever your expectations are, they will be exceeded.

The Storybook Inn is a true gem of a place. Actually, strike that.

The Storybook Inn is a true gem of an EXPERIENCE, and you have afforded two world-travalers an unforgettable weekend, for which we are so very grateful.

All the Best, Elise. It was a pleasure to spend a weekend at your B&B.

We will certainly make The Storybook Inn one of our annual rites.

Room Tip: The "Somewhere in Time" suite boasts a bathroom the size of satisfactory hotel room; a sit...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank We-All-Want-5-Star
Elise B, Owner at A Storybook Inn, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear S and R,

Your review is certainly delightful! You two saw, experienced and understood so incredibly much of what has gone into making A Storybook Inn a place that is "Close to everything; Worlds apart."

It is good that you have much to compare Storybook Inn with because of your many and varied travels.

From my heart...thank you so very much for taking the time to put into words your experience at the Inn! I am so glad that we will be seeing you both again. Until next time...Blessings!

Warmly,
Elise, Proprietor
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed 5 March 2014

A Storybook Inn just stunning!
I'll translate in few words our impression : Gorgeous installations and view, fantastic breakfast, quiet and very very pleasant hostess ! This is the perfect place for celebrating especial ocasions or even business in beautiful horse country called Kentucky! Thank You!

Room Tip: We recommend all rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I cannot recommend a stay at A Storybook Inn enough. We had our small, private wedding ceremony at A Storybook at the beginning of this month, and from start to finish, the entire experience was a dreamy, stress-free, BEAUTIFUL affair!

Even though I have driven past A Storybook Inn thousands of times (it is 15 minutes from my hometown), staying there really does feel like a wonderful escape into genteel, Southern elegance and hospitality at its finest.

I have stayed at hotels in Chicago, New York and Vegas: A Storybook Inn is unequivocally the most beautiful, relaxing, and well-maintained place I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. We booked one of the wedding packages at A Storybook Inn months ago, and from first touring the grounds to the morning after the wedding, the entire experience was fabulous. Elise and her staff (Sara, Grace, and Veronica) are the kindest, most gracious and lovely group of women you will ever hope to meet. I think I hugged half of them by the time we left.

Because of Elise's organization and her and her staff's willingness and ability to accommodate our needs and wants, the venue and event-planning for the wedding was actually the most relaxed and stress-free part of it all! Elise has her personal 'approved vendor' list: we trusted all of her recommendations, and they were as organized, professional and kind as she was (e.g., makeup/hair stylist; photographer; floral arrangements; even the restaurant the night of the wedding). I noticed that all of the vendors visibility brightened up and WANTED to do our tiny wedding after hearing Elise's name and A Storybook Inn as the venue (there's a lot of credibility to Elise's reputation as well as her inn's).

We stayed at the suite, Somewhere In Time, based off of the Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour movie. The suite is enormous, and the most luxurious, elegant, gorgeous corner of heaven you could dream up. Everything was spotless and sparkling clean; the attention put into every aspect of the rooms' decor is so readily apparent. And while the suite was huge and sumptuous, it also had a cozy, comforting aspect: I just wanted to curl up in the seated bay window and read a book while overlooking the grounds.

The food and the staff will also make you feel pampered and indulged. I loved waking up to the smell of homemade pastries baking every morning, or finding delicious fresh-baked treats waiting both afternoons in our suite (ohmygosh those gluten-free brownies topped with walnuts and Ghirardelli chocolate chips!). Elise prides herself on her "skip lunch" breakfasts made with local, top-quality and healthful ingredients - and she has every right to! We were stuffed to bursting both mornings (yes, we skipped lunches) after feasting on scones, muffins, fresh fruit parfaits, and egg entrees. As mentioned earlier, Elise acommodates dietary requests, DELICIOUSLY. I requested gluten-free items, and I reasonably expected to be served fruits or vegetable sticks for snacks. I cannot rave enough about the LUSCIOUS gluten-free baked goods that Elise and her staff treated me to! Banana-walnut muffins with cream cheese frosting, fudgy brownies, blueberry scones, oh my!

We really did not want to leave A Storybook Inn on the last morning! Even my husband, a big-city, nightlife kind of guy, LOVED staying at the Inn and enjoying viewing the natural beauty of the Bluegrass State from our luxurious perch. We cannot wait to return, and already plan to visit for our future anniversaries.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bowling Green, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Storybook Inn to celebrate my graduation for my M.S. degree and our 2 year anniversary. We stayed in the Gone with the Wind suite and could not have been more pleased. The room was warm, cozy and ridiculously clean. The inn keeper Elise was WONDERFUL!! From the beautiful decor to our perfectly prepared meals, nothing else could have been done to improve our magnificent stay in beautiful Versailles. We will definitely be returning, and would recommend this magical spot to anyone seeking a cozy, romantic getaway. Thank you Storybook Inn for a fantastic weekend!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed in the largest suite and could not have been more pleased. This is the nicest, cleanest, and most beautiful place we have stayed. Elise has done a wonderful job of providing southern hospitality and charm. This place is unmatched in beauty and in service. If I could rate it a 6 out of 5 I would.

I cannot put into words the experience we had. The breakfast was exquisite, the grounds are beautiful, and the service was first class. It is a great value even at the higher than average cost for a B&B. Unfortunately, if you stay here, everything else going forward will pale by comparison. The rooms are well decorated, and in great condition. To keep a place like this so clean is a feat in itself, but they manage to do it perfectly.

The surrounding areas of Versailles and Midway are a step back in time and charm. There is so much to do and experience. I struggle to truly give any place a 5, and this is the tops.

Room Tip: "Somewhere in Time" is the master suite, and unmatched in quality.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drdeger
Elise B, Owner at A Storybook Inn, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear (D and A),
I had a great time with you two! I enjoyed hearing of your European travels and thought of our conversation today when I looked at the "Sleeping Lion" statue in the office.
I sincerely look forward to having you come visit us again.
And thank you so very much for your very kind, heartfelt words.
They are very meaningful to us. I printed them out to show our staff
who are always so grateful that their hard work is not left unnoticed.

Many blessings to you...until next time!
Elise
Also consider these accommodations in or near Versailles
The Campbell House
Rabbit Creek Bed and Breakfast
Charred Oaks Inn
Charred Oaks Inn
#3 of 7 in Versailles

Been to A Storybook Inn? Share your experiences!