“It's Tall”

Louisiana State Capitol
Ranked #5 of 81 things to do in Baton Rouge
More attraction details
Owner description: This art deco masterpiece has been the site of a bombing, an assassination and the infinite machinations of state kingpins and politicos.
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Went to the top. Amazing view. Wife and I aren't into architecture so there's not much I can tell you about that. Gift shop on the top. Worth the half-hour just to see the view.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is a sight to see, both inside and out. The art deco statues flanking the entrance are perfect. The 48 steps to the entrance are engraved with the states' names in the order they were admitted. The first 13 are the original colonies. The 49th step has the national motto so they engraved Hawaii and Alaska on either side of that. It is an easy walk with landings interspersed. The first floor is also a perfect art deco design. We were given a map and some info for our self-guided tour. We learned right away that Huey Long is the state hero and were told not to miss the bullet hole still in the wall where he was shot 61 times. That he is buried right under the statue of him in the garden facing the Capitol blew me away! The gardens are immaculate and the view from the 27th floor is worthwhile.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

See where Huey Long was assinated! Walk the halls of the Kingfish. One of the most beautiful (and tallest) State Capitals in the US, the Louisiana Capital is not only breath taking in it's architectual beauty, the surrounding grounds are spectacular. Well worth taking time out of your day if visiting Baton Rouge.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This has been a go-to destination for me ALL of my life. yes, since I was 6 years old. Then I very often took my children, and now my grand children. The exterior rises above all of the city and can be seen from miles away. 32 stores tall. the art deco facade and historical sculptures that greet you are most eye catching. Enter by the front steps as each step has a states name and the year it became a state. the interior is so magnificent. the marbles used on the floors and walls are exquisite. Louisiana history story is told here. PLEASE do not miss the small elevator ride to the top observation deck. The Empire what?? this view will take your breath away .. something for all ages here.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed this building. The architecture is interesting and worth seeing if in the downtown area