“No wifi!”

Belle of Baton Rouge Casino & Hotel
Ranked #64 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I read the reviews prior to booking here but as were attending a conference, for the sake of convenience, I booked this hotel. Not a good decision. Upon arrivela, the front desk clerk was borderline rude. We had just spent a few days in the French Quarter and we all commented that we were no longer in New Orleans! Fortunately, she was the only miserable person we encountered but how disappointing. She could definitely benefit from some client relations training! The rooms were adequate, we heeded the reviews about the food - but thought what could someone mess up with breakfast? We found out. Wifi - there is none!! It is so bad, you cannot access anything. Finally we went to the business centre only to find that there is a steep cost to access the internet. If you're considering staying here, check around. There are a couple of other hotels close by.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Even though I live just outside of Baton Rouge, there are times I need a stay at a local hotel for certain evenings and functions. I am a "Halloween baby", and during the week leading up to the holiday, there are a number of functions where its simply safer and reasonable to stay downtown. The problem with downtown Baton Rouge is that your lodging options are rather limited, though after many years this is finally changing as more lodging is being built downtown. In the past, we have used the Belle of Baton Rouge, starting when it was a Sheraton property. We have stuck with it even after it lost its Sheraton flag, but after this last stay, I think it is time to sadly say farewell to this property.
The parking experience is your first indication that this property leaves a lot to be desired. The attendants are nowhere to be found when you arrive, but the second you walk through the doors to check in after exiting your vehicle in the arrival bay, someone usually yells at you "Hey! You can't park there unless you're checking in!" I guess the staff member yelling at you doesn't quite grasp that ...well....isn't that WHY I'm temporarily parking there?
The staff at the front desk are professional and attentive; they're to be commended beyond a doubt.
But something needs to be done by the management about the smell in the atrium and the rest of the hotel. Its musty...VERY musty. It smells like old carpeting that has never been cleaned,,,which is really odd because there is little carpeting in this area. The lobby needs to be updated. Period. It is old, grungy, and just overall unappealing. This is a busy property that still brings in a lot of revenue for the management. Do something about it!
The hotel rooms are aligned in long hallways that branch off the elevators. The funny thing is that the last few times I have stayed there, and no matter when the time of my check in is, I ALWAYS am placed in the room furthest from the elevator. Have I done anything to offend the gods, I wonder?
For this stay, our room's outside door key set was severely damaged. It functioned, but it was falling apart. I checked it several times before settling into the room to be sure it was intact, and it was, but it just gave a really creepy feel to the stay.
The furnishings were at first glance adequate. If it wasn't for the fact that I have stayed at this property off and on since it opened over 10 years ago, I would be hard pressed to be blind to realize the furnishings have NEVER been updated . Again, management needs to do something...NOW! You have long gotten your money's worth from this original furniture...REPLACE IT! A little new paint would also help!
The chair and the ottoman were stained...it was really kind of gross.
There were four lamps in the room. The one on the desk did not work. One of the bedside wall mounted fixtures would only work if you plugged it in to turn it on, and unplugged it to turn it off. Very unsafe!
But my harshest comments are reserved for the bathrooms. And I have stayed in a number of rooms on each floor...they are ALL the same. These are the tiniest bathrooms ever designed by man. The bathroom door has less than an inch clearance from the toilet when you attempt to close it. What is the most disgusting feature of this hotel, and again, it is in ALL the rooms and has existed at this property since the day it has opened, is the absolute worst tub drainage problem that any paying guest is subjected to. I am baffled as to how an entire hotel could possibly be built where the shower/tub simply does not drain at all. I am totally disgusted each time I stay here due to the fact that I have to stand in filthy bathwater while showering, and 10 minutes later it is still trickling down the drain. I could not imagine taking a real bath in this place....my skin crawls even thinking about it. Again...DO SOMETHING about this!
I am done with this place....I would like to say something nice, but I just can't. Not as long as the management allows this property to degenerate.

Room Tip: Your best option is to stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kjnbear
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Let me start by saying we almost didn't stay here because of the previous reviews we have read. Our main focus was on getting a hotel close to the convention center so we didn't have to worry about parking or walking a far distance. We were created with a smiling face to check in... check in might have taken 4 minutes at the most. Parking is behind a secure gate (as long as you are there early). It is a bit of a walk from parking to the hotel but really nothing to complain about. The pool was closed... i assumed because of the threat of the tropical storm Karen. Our room was on the 8th floor... although the hallway was hot and the ice machine on the floor was broken, our room was cool and we never had a problem with the AC. I would suggest not getting a room at the end by the elevator.... if your AC isn't on (sounds like a race engine) then you will hear the elevator EVERY time it goes up and down. There wasnt a mini fridge, coffee pot or microwave, not that we needed it but usually those are just standard! The room was very clean and the view from our room was great! For that evening we decided to walk to the casino.... be prepared to WALK a good ways! We stopped first at the Bar 102.... great atmosphere to watch the game and grab a drink. Elyse and the other workers are very friendly. Shucks on the other hand was worthless... we went there to eat... stood about 3 minutes and were never seated.. so we left and walked the rest of the way to the casino.... came back to shucks about 20 minutes later... were greeted with a hostess given menus and a table. We sat at the table for 15 minutes no server, no drinks, no acknowlegement.... so we left and went back to Bar 102 ordered a hamburger and watched the game! Glad we did the servers and the cook was great! Casino wise... its small and is very smoky... gift shop is decent and has very friendly staff. if we ever go back to a concert i will definatetly book there again! Is it worth the $250 on game day weekend... NO WAY! However for a weekend with a game... $99 wasnt bad at all.

Room Tip: stay at the opposite end of the elevators unless you want to hear the elevator roaring up and down e...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I saw a lot of negativity on other sites. On the whole, this place isn't good, but not as bad as some might make it seem. Rooms/hallway were musty. AC never cooled off the room. Just a heads up, the pool is 18+. The neighborhood is sketchy.

The bed was comfortable enough. The staff was really friendly and helpful. You are getting a low budget hotel/casino. Be aware of that much.

Room Tip: I had a king. It was comfortable enough. I've stayed in worse...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I don't understand all the bad reviews. Ths hotel was clean and very comfortable. We had a mini fridge and microwave in our room. Everyone associated with the hotel was extremely friendly. The bathroom was fine. How big do you need? It's a great location - near the airport and the price is very reasonable.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZebTraveler
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The hotel fails on so many levels. No coffee pot in the room (first for this business traveler), wake up call 30 minutes late, extremely slow service at the restaurant (even though not busy), bellman sent to wrong room despite repeated requests, overpriced buffet, incredibly loud "riff raff" clientele making noise in hallway all night.

The room and public areas look ok and some staff are nice, but it is not remotely worth the money they charge. Security, which was well-needed, did seem to be alert.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The hotel needs to be kept up better with better casino and Buffet. LACKS THE STAR QUALITY IT ADVERTISES Staff was not very friendly or helpful. Pool not open. Room not what we. Booked. Just disappointed. But was located in Great area.

• Stayed: August 2013